Glowing exhaust

kelpie

Hi everyone, I got a spare MT-09 exhaust a while back with the purpose of modifying it a little by opening the back end of the muffler and cutting out the last bit of pipe that goes to the outlet - as demonstrated in another thread in the exhaust section, just to give it a bit of a note. I didn't cut a hole through to the cat or enlarge the outlet. Anyway I put this on and gave it a bit of a polish up and as I hadn't ridden the bike for several weeks thought to give it a stationary run. To give the battery a bit of a charge and get the engine up to temp, gave it a fast idle at about 3000 revs and in about 15 to 20  seconds the headers were starting to glow cherry red, couldn't believe it.  Knew the exhaust got hot quick but didn't think they should start to glow - the engine wasn't even at operating temp. As soon as it went back to normal idle the headers stoped glowing. It rode no different and performed just the same as before and even gave it a good ride, stoped quickly and jumped off the bike to see if it did the same but the wind keeps them cool, and all this was done just after the sun had set not in broad daylight.
Do other bikes do this or is mine perhaps running too lean?  Haven't had anyone reprogram the fueling and bike done just over 10, 000 kms in the past year from new.

I've never noticed my piped glowing.. Are you sure there is no obstruction in the exhaust after modification?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I would consider this normal when not moving. Cars can do it too. You are blowing super heated exhaust right from the head. The pipes do not have cooling fins to dissipate the heat. 
Your just riding a fire breathing dragon.... Enjoy it. :-)

Thanks, puts my mind at ease a bit better. Don't think its obstruction,  had the exhaust on before and rode it for a bit over 1000 kms but changed it back when I went for the 10k service just in case the dealership thought it might be a good reason not to honor any future warranty issues down the track.
I will enjoy my fire breathing dragon. After getting the headers nice and red the headers change to a pleasant gold tinge which I think adds to the looks. Wonder how hot they have to get to a bright blue color - don't think I will venture that far.
Cheers

Archived