Bar buzz like a bi***, Solutions?

Just got back from a 3100 mile trip, the bar buzz, particular the throttle side is beyond stupid. Does anyone know how much the OEM bar ends weigh? Trying to get heavier bar ends to counter this ridiculous issue. I returned Saturday night (7/2/16 ) and my right thumb is still tingly and asleep. Before anyone suggests I have a death grip on the bars, that is not the case. The buzzing and the numbing of the throttle hand happens even in short distance rides, say 20 miles to work, i have to take my hand off the bar to get my feeling back. This issue has never occurred on the TD GSXR 750, TD R6S nor my FZ1. Anyone else having this issue? Also, anyone noticing the exhaust particularly where the exhaust connects together ( where they run in together ) has started to pit? Looking for some genuine helpful solution...

Thanks

Dennis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dennis,

Just out of curiosity, has your FJ always been this bad? I just recently bought one and I only have around 500 miles on it, but I've found it to be one of the smoother bikes I've had.

Just got back from a 3100 mile trip, the bar buzz, particular the throttle side is beyond stupid. Does anyone know how much the OEM bar ends weigh? Trying to get heavier bar ends to counter this ridiculous issue. I returned Saturday night (7/2/16 ) and my right thumb is still tingly and asleep. Before anyone suggests I have a death grip on the bars, that is not the case. The buzzing and the numbing of the throttle hand happens even in short distance rides, say 20 miles to work, i have to take my hand off the bar to get my feeling back. This issue has never occurred on the TD GSXR 750, TD R6S nor my FZ1. Anyone else having this issue? Also, anyone noticing the exhaust particularly where the exhaust connects together ( where they run in together ) has started to pit? Looking for some genuine helpful solution... 
Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

I too have throttle side bar vibration. It's enough to be annoying, but doesn't sound as bad as yours.

Have you had the throttle bodies sync'd? I'm wondering how much if any that may be a contributor. I bought my bike used so I don't know if mine was ever done.
Keep Asheville weird!

Most guys do not have vibration so bad, maybe reflash ECU, loosen and re-torque handle bars will help.

I have had Vibranators in the handle bars of 2 other bikes, they work great, but I don't think they have made any that will fit in the FJ 09 bars due to the nuts for the hand deflectors are welded or press fit into the bar ends. It may be worth it to get different bars that will accept Vibranators, but I don't know how the hand deflectors would fit back on.

http://www.vibranator.com/default.asp, evidently Vibranator now has its own website.

I tapped two large steel blocks just inside the hand deflector next to the hand grip as a temporary fix and seemed to help a bit. I also wrap my hand grips in soft foam tape and tennis racket grip tape to also help reduce vibration.

http://fj-09.org/thread/3649/rox-anti-vibe-risers

I have not tried these ROX anti-vibe risers, but this kind of rubber mounted riser does work on other bikes.

Thanks for finding that, I couldn't find it earlier. I just ordered a pair of Vibranators, but it may be a few weeks before I get my bike back together and can report back. I can't tell if I will still be able to use the hand guards or not.

I do not currently own a fj09 but I ride an r6 with vibrinators . the bar ends sound similar to the r6 with a threaded plug in the end . vibranator will send you a small piece of tube (same diameter as the handlebar ) a thick washer and a bolt for pulling the threaded plug out . rudimentary , but works great , plus with the high frequency vibrations of the r6 the vibrinators do a marvelous job negating vibrations

Great, please post after you receive, install and test them. Very curious to see how much of an improvement they are!

Thanks for finding that, I couldn't find it earlier. I just ordered a pair of Vibranators, but it may be a few weeks before I get my bike back together and can report back. I can't tell if I will still be able to use the hand guards or not.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest highplainsrider
    they do list a model for the FJ-09...

http://www.vibranator.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FJ09%2DMT09

I just installed these on my FJ-09. They work well for me. My right hand used to go numb in about 15 minutes of highway riding. I just did 2 hours of riding and didn't have to shake my hand out once. No post ride tingling either. The lead time was long - 3 weeks, and the price was a little steep at $120 - still well worth it in my opinion. Grip puppies and an ECU reflash didn't help at all.

I just got my Vibranators yesterday. How did you get the press fit nut out of the handle bar ends?

Correction .........  The nut is not press fit.  It is threaded in and a 12 mm allen wrench unscrews the threaded insert and then the Vibranators fit in without problem.

Guest highplainsrider
insert%201.jpg

insert%202.jpg

I didn't get any instructions either. The nut insert does not get removed from the factory bars. I removed my vibranators to take a couple of pictures. The first one shows the whole assembly ready to go into the end of the handlebar without using the hand guards.  I am not using mine so this is how they went in for me. The disassembled pieces are shown next to the fully assembled part. The trick is to tighten the bolt enough so the rubber piece starts to expand a little and will friction fit through the threads on the end of the bar. Once in, hold the exterior bar end weight while you tighten the bolt some more until it is firmly held in place.

The second picture shows how the assembly would be installed if you are using the hand guards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but the tuning rod is too big to slide through the hole in the handle bar nut. I guess I will have to contact them next week.

Correction ......... The nut is not press fit. It is threaded in and a 12 mm allen wrench unscrews the threaded insert and then the Vibranators fit in without problem.

Guest highplainsrider
Did you take the insert out? It is black aluminum and should come out just using the end of a 3/8" ratchet. Once that is out, you will see another nut inside the bar. The rod should fit through that threaded nut. 

Many thanks.

12 mm allen wrench fits perfectly to unscrew and remove the insert which the stock bolt threads into. This is what was referred to as "hollow bolt" a few posts prior. Once that insert was out, installing Vibranators was a 15 minute job. Test ride tomorrow.

Archived