Bar buzz like a bi***, Solutions?

LIkewise. I had just gotten out the tap and die set to check size and pitch. M8 x 1.25 x 110 mm hex socket (countersunk) bolts. Don emailed and said they were shipping today. I look forward to posting up post installation ride report from Frisco, Texas. Thanks again to the forum and XLXR for checking the length that worked?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
A quick update after 400 miles of riding. The Vibranators certainly almost eliminate the vibrations in the 4,500 to 5,200 rpm range. However, I am now getting vibration at lower and higher portions of the power band. At 6,800+ rpm I get a buzzing from the left handlebar which sounds like the damper may be making contact with the bar internally. Have any others experienced this issue? Curious since it does not happen on the right. I don't know how we could adjust the install to ensure that the damper is centered within the bar....

Fill the handlebar with the silicone you can buy in them caulk gun tubes... it's something I heard our esteemed forum leader say the other day...I'm not complaining about the FJ-09 vibrations compared to the FZ-07...but it's something I will do over the winter tho...also make sure your hand guards are bolted down hella good...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
A quick update after 400 miles of riding. The Vibranators certainly almost eliminate the vibrations in the 4,500 to 5,200 rpm range. However, I am now getting vibration at lower and higher portions of the power band. At 6,800+ rpm I get a buzzing from the left handlebar which sounds like the damper may be making contact with the bar internally. Have any others experienced this issue? Curious since it does not happen on the right. I don't know how we could adjust the install to ensure that the damper is centered within the bar....
Page 3 of this very thread. 8th post on the page.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I should have taken a pic or two, but my solution while labor intensive only cost about 10 bucks. I bought a pack of egg shaped fishing weights. About 5.00 at wallyworld. Silicone, cable and ferrules I already had. Put 4 weights on a piece of cable with a ferrule on the end. The weights were a little bit to big so I hammered on them till they fit. Then put a ferrule on the other end. I put some silicone in the handlebar and pushed the thing in. If I had known how well it would work I wouldn't have put them on a cable. Anyway I've only done the right side since the left doesn't bother me. But I'm very happy with the results.

• 3 weeks later...
My two cents....Installed thick ADV grips, Vibranators and the rubber knock off foot pegs from Amazon. A good deal of the vibration is gone from the bars, no idea if it's the grips, Vibranators, or combination, but the grip portion of the problem is tolerable now. On the other hand (or foot) the rubber pegs didn't do squat. If anything, you notice the vibration coming through the pegs more since the hand portion of the controls have quieted down.

Ordered vibranators on 09 Oct. A week later they were still being "processed". I contacted Don who said mine had just been made and would be sent the next day. A week later I followed up again and he said they are winding back Vibranator production for more profitable lines and mine had yet to be done .. would be the next day. Nearly a week later again and no word and order is still "being processed". Not impressed.

• Premium Member
Ordered vibranators on 09 Oct. A week later they were still being "processed". I contacted Don who said mine had just been made and would be sent the next day. A week later I followed up again and he said they are winding back Vibranator production for more profitable lines and mine had yet to be done .. would be the next day. Nearly a week later again and no word and order is still "being processed". Not impressed.

Yeah, I ordered mine on the 10th. The site says the best way to contact them is by email. Sent 3 without a response. Maybe he's using the Clinton server........ I guess I'll call them today.

Let’s go Brandon

Ah, sorry about the mini-rant. I wanted to warn people that the Vibranator line is being reduced, but letting of a bit of steam took over :) Exact quote for everyone's information:

25 Oct "Vibranators are a non profit at this time. We had to take on a profitable project that consumed all our CNC capacity for over a month. That project was completed yesterday. Your FJ parts are running today. We will honor all current orders but will reducing the model offerings to 2 or 3 profitable models soon to open up our CNC capacity to non Vibranator products."

• Premium Member
Ah, sorry about the mini-rant. I wanted to warn people that the Vibranator line is being reduced, but letting of a bit of steam took over :) Exact quote for everyone's information:  
25 Oct "Vibranators are a non profit at this time. We had to take on a profitable project that consumed all our CNC capacity for over a month. That project was completed yesterday. Your FJ parts are running today. We will honor all current orders but will reducing the model offerings to 2 or 3 profitable models soon to open up our CNC capacity to non Vibranator products."
$120 and they're not making a profit? Wow! Those things must be made of unobtanium.  

Let’s go Brandon

FWIW, I installed a set of Renthal bars and KTM handguards yesterday. When I removed the OEM handguards and bar ends I was surprised how light the pieces were. I had a set of steel Yamaha bar end weights from a FZ1 and installed them. First impression is they're going to work great.

How does this help other FJ 09 owners? Yamaha bar ends have the same threads since at least 1986. The steel bar end weights will thread into your OEM bars if you remove the inner piece with a 12mm allen wrench. Do this and you also get a set of bar end sliders.
DSCN5662.jpg

Really like the KTM guards with the FZ1 slider/bar end. I had a 2006 FZ1 with those same bar ends, and you can also drill and tap a M10 bolt into the center of the Hex Head that removes the bar end. Then you can mount your bar end mirrors out there. :) Works great, and you run them "Backwards, so the mount is on the end of the slider, and the mirror is "inboard" of the end, so if you do drop the bike, it's less likely to break your mirror.

And with it that far out, you have AMAZING clear views to the rear, no arms/shoulders in the way at all. If you wanted to keep your bike not as wide, and still wanted to get this effect, you can move your hand controls inboard more, leaving a space along the bar at the KTM hand guard. Then clamp your mirror there, and it's protected by the KTM plastic end.

BB's or lead shot work great to dampen vibes in your handlebars. AND it's cheap. If you are worried about noise from the BB's or lead, you can pack the lead tight with the bar ends. Fill it slightly too much, then tighten the bar ends, and it compresses either BB's or Lead.

Or just Get really messy, use silicone and lead/BB's and a plastic zip lock bag. Fill the bar with BB's or Lead, and then pour it back out into the bag. Now using a caulking gun, add in silicone to the bag and BB's or Lead, you don't need a ton, just enough to coat them all and a little extra.

Zip up the bag, and knead the silicone into and around all the BB's/Lead shot.
Then on one corner away from the zip side, push the silicone and BB's back, and cut open a small hole about the size of the bar end in the bag.

While holding the hole to the bar end, gently squeeze silicone covered BB's into your bar, until all the BB's are gone. Put on the bar ends/KTM/Stock guards, and you are done.

Wear latex or Nitrile gloves, or you get silicone all over yourself.

Your bars will never have better dampening than this. Period.

Cost? 5.00 for BB's. 2.00 for cheap Silicone. (Don't buy expensive stuff, and if you don't have a caulking gun, just an old tube of RTV/Tub caulk will work fine. You don't need very much, just get the BB's coated, and they will not rattle as they are compressed together as you squeeze them into the bar end. Just make sure the other side of the bar end is CLOSED UP with your other bar end. :))'

If you are worried about the bag/hole, go buy a dollar store cake decorating kit. They have metal tips, and plastic sacks designed to frost cakes that will do this perfect. (Or you can raid your wife's cake kit, but at risk of an angry spouse...)

).... would I be able to stick the FZ1 bar on the end of that, with a longer (same thread) bolt...or is the bar end itself threaded (and/or different size)... similar to the FZ-09 end (which requires that you remove the back insert/reducer)?
The bar end itself is threaded.  It has the same thread size as the reducer M16 x 1.5

Archived