The Dragon & Cherohala Skyway

onsite

• Premium Member
Enjoyed several hot, hot, hot days riding through north Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Spent Saturday & Sunday enjoying the sights between Greenville, SC, and Asheville, NC, then hit the trail for the Dragon on July 4th.  The FJ was more than up for the task even carrying my Givi side cases and gear.  My pace was much slower than the crotch rocket crowd but I had fun on the twisties.  Came in from the south so got to ride the 11 miles back to Deal's Gap too.  (636 curves if stats are correct).

I think the Cherohala Skyway was nice but very rainy for the first hour.  Then back to 100 degrees.  Asked God to guide me several times on the wet curves. Thankful for safe riding. 

An exhausting 430 mile day (with one bee sting in the left pectoral at about 60 mph - had my jacket off as I was about to faint in the heat) for a total of 760 for the trip.  Much fun.

• Premium Member
Again, I found the stock seat lacking in comfort after a few hours (rode about 9 hrs Monday).
Considering:
1 - Corbin seat in beautiful Indian tan leather to complement red FJ-09
2 - sheepskin seat cover (good reports from Adventure riders)

Hesitate to have both.  Afraid I would not enjoy covering $500 Corbin.

Any suggestions?  Experience with sheepskin?

The skyway sounds fantastic.

I've had sheepskins on several bikes, and have one on the Tracer/FJ09 under a mesh scooter seat cover.

In the past I've noticed that a sheepskin won't stop a sore butt, but will delay it by half an hour to an hour.

Again, I found the stock seat lacking in comfort after a few hours (rode about 9 hrs Monday). Considering:
1 - Corbin seat in beautiful Indian tan leather to complement red FJ-09
2 - sheepskin seat cover (good reports from Adventure riders)

Hesitate to have both.  Afraid I would not enjoy covering $500 Corbin.

Any suggestions?  Experience with sheepskin?
I use an Alaska Sheepskin cover on the FJ-09, in addition to the Cal Sci DIY memory foam seat mod. The memory foam relieves pressure and improves support, the sheepskin, due to the natural characteristics  of sheep wool, traps a layer of insulating air in the fibers that keeps you cool when it's hot (delays monkey-butt) and keeps you warm when it's cool. The sheepskin also lessens the uncomfortable feeling of jeans inseam rubbing against you, and reduces some materials "biting" the seat and causing friction. Alas, recommend.

Archived