2015 versus 2016 FJ-09

tc1127l

• 6 months later...
Ive owned both. Besides the fact that my '15 had a transmission recall performed and was ultimately taken back because it was a lemon (numerous undiagnosed failures to start), when running you could not tell the two bikes apart. Identical except or color. I can not tell you what a model year never is worth to you.

btw mine had identical oil pans as well. 
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• 5 months later...
I had both years , I crashed my 2015 but I did put 10k miles on it and went down the Blue Ridge on it.. The 2016 has better brakes and it feels faster for some reason. The 2015 I felt the ABS kicked in too fast but the after market heated grips on the 15 work better than the Yamaha grips on the 16. I changed both seats to Seat Concepts for some reason the 15 felt better , I don't know why

Test rode both several times.   Never could tell any difference in handling, speed, acceleration, suspension, brakes or anything else other than color ... and I'm somewhat shade blind.  

Finally last month I pulled the trigger on a 2015 ... based solely on price.   24 riding days (lost 6 days having seat redone) and about 2300 miles I am still loving it.   For me the only difference was price between the 2.  When I worked out the anticipated depreciation rates using used ones for sale; I decided for the purchase price if I didn't like it and decided to sell ... that the 2015 was for me the way to go.

I think, if you truly like the bike, either is a good choice.  It comes down to how much it is worth to you to say you have a 2016 in July of 2017.

Test rode both several times.   Never could tell any difference in handling, speed, acceleration, suspension, brakes or anything else other than color ... and I'm somewhat shade blind.   
Finally last month I pulled the trigger on a 2015 ... based solely on price.   24 riding days (lost 6 days having seat redone) and about 2300 miles I am still loving it.   For me the only difference was price between the 2.  When I worked out the anticipated depreciation rates using used ones for sale; I decided for the purchase price if I didn't like it and decided to sell ... that the 2015 was for me the way to go.

I think, if you truly like the bike, either is a good choice.  It comes down to how much it is worth to you to say you have a 2016 in July of 2017.

I cannot help wondering how and why it is still possible to buy a new 2015 build here in Oz for around AUD$15,00 including 'free' OE hard panniers.   Do they not sell as anticipated (I have yet to see another Tracer on the road here in two-and-a-half years of looking, other than with a planned meet-up with another owner)?   Did the factory simply produce far too many? Is there confusion as to what the bike really represents (is it a sportbike, tourer...?). Whatever, it offers excellent value-for-money in its category, not to mention the grin-factor!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Wordsmith:

I actually think you are correct ... Yamaha over estimated demand and overproduced.  I have run into exactly one other FJ-09 on the road since I got mine.   At least his was red ... a colour I can see clearly. Where mine is .... I am told grey.   As I stated once before, being "shade blind" the Black and Grey look pretty much identical to me.  Despite what my wife tells me :D .  

I am actually a bit concerned about that issue.  I really enjoy this bike and it is to me,  the perfect complement to my Super Tenere.   And I would really hate to see it discontinued.   On the other hand not being familiar with the sales situation in Australia I have in the last 3-4 months seen a marked increase in the number of FZ-09's on the road.  So I am hopeful that I will start seeing more soon.  

Last year I went to a Super Tenere Ride in Arkansas (here in the U.S.) and I saw 4-5 FJ's for the 1st time.  In fact they are the reason I bought one.  So hopefully both in your home and mine we will start seeing some more.   

Archived