Actual waterproof boots and pants

Buggy Nate

Hi guys, after spending most of my riding life getting wet feet and balls I have finally found some boots and pants that are actually waterproof!
Hit up the local BMW dealer for some of their Allround boots and Rainsuit pants. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but the do keep me dry. The boots have nice reflective panels as do the pants. And I do believe they will be quite breathable as they are quite cold pants and boots to ride in.
Which is always something I have struggled believing when reading the Goretex blurb, breathable but waterproof! How can something be breathable and waterproof????
They retailed for about 340 for the boots and 180 for the pants which is really obscene but they do work. The pants have almost full inner leg zippers so you can slip them over boots if you get stuck in a drizzle. But the velcro at the bottom does get caught on the peg feelers at traffic lights so I should pull my finger out and remove them.. And they fold up really small and take up bugger all space. Might even look at the jacket when my current one dies.

• Premium Member
I have a 10year old pair of A* Goretex touring boots that have kept my feet dry through all kinds of weather. At the time, I think I paid around $100 at Cycle Gear.

For the rest of me, I have an Aerostitch Darien jacket and pants set. Great for cooler weather, but expensive. When it's hot, I much prefer my vastly cheaper Frogg Toggs. Kept me dry and comfortable all the way around Lake Superior where it rained every day.

• Premium Member
BMW clothing is very good but can be expensive. I was lucky and spotted a forum post by my local dealer who is a) moving premises and b) has a new 2016 range of gear to promote. So, he had a batch of the old stlye Rallye trousers to get rid of - reduced to £150 from £350. They were very good on my recent trip to France. The waterproof/breathable membrane zips out making them a lot cooler to wear compared to my Rukka trousers that have the membrane permanently fixed.

The key to getting goretex and other breathable membranes to work properly is to use a wicking layer underneath. The moisture that passes out needs to be in vapour form so it passess through the pores. if your skin is directly against the membrane then the pores can get blocked with liquid sweat. I prefer man made fibres for the wicking layer but others prefer merino wool. For me, polyester is so easy to rinse out in a hotel bathroom and will be dry to wear the following morning.

For boots, Daytona are excellent. Made in Germany and widely available across Europe but I don't think they are known very well in North America.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yeah in Australia we don't have the massive range Euro's or the Yanks have. We either get cheap shit that is not worth the box it comes in or the expensive stuff that works. I am just stoked I finally can do a weeks worth of riding on one set of gear. I think I have seen Daytona boots around though.
Yeah it is very expensive, but I thought phuck it I'm not going to spend it while I;m dead so give it a go.
I think the clue is actually getting proper Goretex and not whatever stuff the cheaper guys put in its place.

• Premium Member
Yeah in Australia we don't have the massive range Euro's or the Yanks have. We either get cheap shet that is not worth the box it comes in or the expensive stuff that works. I am just stoked I finally can do a weeks worth of riding on one set of gear. I think I have seen Daytona boots around though. Yeah it is very expensive, but I thought phuck it I'm not going to spend it while I;m dead so give it a go.
I think the clue is actually getting proper Goretex and not whatever stuff the cheaper guys put in its place.
BMW don't use Goretex in the trousers I bought. They have their own CARE breathable fabric. It seems to work well enough.  
I generally agree with your statement - as an example, the German firm Hein Gericke now uses Shelltex in all of their garments. I have some jackets bought many years ago with real Goretex and the quality of the older stuff is far superior to that stuff they sell nowadays. It's not necessarily the breathable liner that is the problem but the overall quality of material and manufacture makes the garment less durable and maybe less effective. I understand Gore won't allow their name to be added to a product unless the whole garment meets their quality standards and has a 100% waterproof guarantee. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have Aerostich Combat Touring boots (made by Sidi) and they are definitely waterproof. I ride year round in Oregon and have had these boots for 6-7 years of riding now. They've never leaked a drop.

Interestingly aerostich doesn't claim they are waterproof. I generally buy some inexpensive waterproof boots and either wear them till they just plain wear out or they cease being waterproof. I ride everyday all year long and they usually last a couple of years at that rate. I found that the high dollar goretex ones don't last longer for me so why drop $300 a pair. I currently have some Oxfords that are comfortable and waterproof. Picked them up for $60.

• 4 weeks later...
Just ordered Alter Ego 2 pants and Alter Ego 3 jacket. Looks good in the showroom. The pants have a inner rain liner. The jacket has a outer rain cover, second layer is vented jacket, and inner is an insulated vest. It all zips together. One advantage is being the outer jacket is the rain proof part, should keep the inter two layers dry. I'll give a ride report once I get to test it out.

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

Archived