Clunk noise after taking off ?

I had something similar in my FZ1 that lasted probably a year before it was backed over. I never did figure out what it was, but never bothered anything other than trying to figure out what it was. I always thought it was something in the driveline, but don't know what it was.

Bad or binding link(s) on your chain. Chain too tight or possibly too loose. Loose axle, bad wheel bearings at the rear, loose front sprocket, loose or broken rear sprocket. Good chance it's one of these issues. But yes, check yourself or get it checked. A couple of the issues are dangerous.

• Premium Member
Sometimes when chains and sprockets are worn they can do some funny stuff, especially when they have been over tightened. If you put the bike on the center stand you can spin the rear wheel to check the chain and wheel for any binding or other problems. Also if you have someone stand next to your bike when you start out they may be able to hear where the noise is coming from better than you can.
Good luck
BLB

Both MT/FJ09s I have ridden did this.

From the manual:
"The ABS performs a self-diagnosis test each time the vehicle first starts off after the key is turned to “ON” and the vehicle has travelled at a speed of 10 km/h (6 mi/h) or higher. During this test, a “clicking” noise can be heard from the hydraulic control unit, and if the brake lever or brake pedal is even slightly applied, a vibration can be felt at the lever and pedal, but these do not indicate a malfunction."

Bad or binding link(s) on your chain. Chain too tight or possibly too loose. Loose axle, bad wheel bearings at the rear, loose front sprocket, loose or broken rear sprocket. Good chance it's one of these issues. But yes, check yourself or get it checked. A couple of the issues are dangerous.
Keep in mind that when you engage first gear the entire drive line is loaded and tensioned.  That's what the initial clunk is all about.  Thus, any play in the system is already taken up when he starts out.  So some of the above might not apply in this case.  I agree that this clunk is not normal.

• 4 weeks later...
This clunking has been bothering me since I got the bike.  If I didn't know any better, it sounds like the shoes for the front are not sliding and suddenly "release" on the disk with a clunk.  Doesn't do it every time but just enough to be annoying.  I don't feel anything in the lever so I don't think it's ABS.  Waiting on the shop manual before I pull off the front calipers and apply the appropriate lube on the channels ( if there are any ) to hopefully get rid of this.   This is definitely not chain or drivetrain associated, it comes from the front brakes.

• 11 months later...
All right FJ-09ers, I believe we have the intermittent clunk sorted.  I'll be honest that my weight at 210 is beyond the limits of the stock suspension.  I recently started getting the intermittent clunk sound from the front end after hard braking.  The noise never presented with any feel in the levers.  I have now been able to duplicate that this is the break lines catching on the holder and then popping off when releasing the brakes.  You know, that little plastic clip in the top center of the fender just behind the forks.  I bet if you hold the brake and then significantly compress the suspension a couple of times you will be able to duplicate.  I was able to see the fender shake just a little with the clunk on rebound looking through the left side down the triple clamp.  The horn may also be catching it but I will need a helper to spot that.  Please note that there are no scratches on this clip or fender and I have not completely bottomed the suspension according to my calibrated zip tie...

Happy hunting! I will be glad to hear if someone else confirms this as the culprit.

Archived