Fitting Kev mod O2 controller

BBB

A much belated thanks for the offer thruster8999. I just ordered one, been running around all summer playing Mr. Mom for my girl missing all the prime riding :) 
So I should have this on in time for the fall season. With a little luck we will be enjoying riding into november.

No problem. Let us know what you think.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
well, install went pretty easy. A little more involved than the instructions as they were for the fz09. Just removing fairing parts. Looking forward to the test run tomorrow including some tractoring off-road. Gotta get one more night in the mountains before the rain comes :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

So what do you think?? My mods are 2bros full system, k&n filter and will be installing graves block off plates this weekend.....re: after installing the exhaust and filter I have a dead/surge spot around 5500 rpms that is driving me nuts!!!
Are you still having problems wit the dead spot? You're the first I've heard to mention replacing the Yamaha air filter, sometimes the manufacturer gets the airbox right, it may be more than sufficient. I say this because on other bikes I've "upgraded" to a K&N only to find it just adds a lot of growl and a dead spot.

So what do you think?? My mods are 2bros full system, k&n filter and will be installing graves block off plates this weekend.....re: after installing the exhaust and filter I have a dead/surge spot around 5500 rpms that is driving me nuts!!!
Are you still having problems wit the dead spot? You're the first I've heard to mention replacing the Yamaha air filter, sometimes the manufacturer gets the airbox right, it may be more than sufficient. I say this because on other bikes I've "upgraded" to a K&N only to find it just adds a lot of growl and a dead spot.
Yes I do still have the dead spot but its very minor now in standard mode and almost gone in A mode. IMHO the O2 controller is a must if your not flashing the ECU and you want to smooth out the throttle.
Interesting find about the k&n air filter...I just may swap it back out to the OEM and see what happens.
TY for the info, gotta love this forum!!!!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I am considering it too. Did you go this way instead of a flash or did you do both?
I am trying this as a stopgap. If its good enough i will leave it alone. I occasionally get annoyed with the speed limiter but to be honest this bike is not crazy about going super fast. To be honest my 2007 FZ6 was way more stable. So I may not bother with teh flash if this is good enough. Anyhoo I'll report back after this trip :)

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I havent had any problems or dead stops with mine except when it is cold. Still have the factory air filter as well.
Just to be clear, my dead/hesitation spot around 5.5-6k rpms appeared after the exhaust/filter upgrade. I will try caferacer's info on his past experience with K&N air filters and just swap back to the OEM air filter and see if that is the issue (very minor now with the O2).
The Kev mod O2 controller helped a ton and I highly recommend it!
UPDATE: re-installing the OEM air filter worked...no more dead spot!!!
A BIG TY to caferacer! :D

So I give it an 7/10. It really does help a lot but I noticed a dead spot as well. It seems to be around the transition point from closed loop to open loop. Also this does not ameliorate the throttle snatchiness. I believe an ECU flash would fix that better, but I have never tried a bike with a flash.

Has anyone tried both this mod and the ecu flash for comparison?

Don't get me wrong, for the price and ease of installation its well worth while and i would do it again.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

1more

sort of. it plugs into the existing plug which you move up under the tank. Their wiring then runs down to the O2 sensor and plugs in. THe wiring looks different than stock but its black mesh and not noticeable.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
That's what I was starting to figure out. Bad assumption on my part. The OEM loom disappears into a wrap of wire harnesses.

Now it's done.

29758905606_b6d3deacef_z.jpg20160919_124954 by gcsurb, on Flickr

Edit to add: Back from a 20 mile ride with a few corners and a fair amount of traffic. This makes a huge improvement in small throttle opening/low rpm drive. The bike is so much smoother the way I usually ride it that it feels like a suspension upgrade.

I've ridden javashot's bike with his reflashed ECU, and this is every bit as smooth. The motor was great before, but this is much better.

Archived