Fitting Kev mod O2 controller

BBB

Confused in canada - must be the cold winter weather and lack of riding!

Got the FJ09 out of storage today and fired her up - all good. Plugged the 02 unit inline and she fired up again without issue. Looking forward to fitting the Kev Mod controller properly and take it from this thread that there are 2 ways to go about it

1) plug and play with the new unit tucking in somewhere behind the tank / near the battery this method leaves the stock wire in place

2) remove tank / side panels and replace existing wire with Kev Mod unit

Is this correct or am I over thinking it?

Thanks all in advance.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you’re overthinking it.

The kev mod plugs into the original wiring, in line, even if it doesn’t appear to at first glance. It is now constantly raising the O2 sensor signal to fool the ECU into behaving more smoothly.

As it is plugged in-line, you need somewhere to locate the extra lengths of wire and the controller itself. I found it easiest to lift the end of the fuel tank and the side panel, just to give me room to tidy things away and cable tie it all securely.

Essentially, option 1) in your post

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 4 months later...
Despite reading this thread and these directions, after unplugging the lower end of the original O2 wire I wasted 30 min looking to unplug its upper end.  I lifted the tank more than necessary to get a good look, and saw it merges into a bundle and doesn't come out anywhere.  Of course there isn't an upper plug, you are supposed to snake the lower end up under the tank to become the "upper end" you plug the new O2 wire into.    B-|

• 2 weeks later...
I fitted the O2 controller last night.  What a fantastic little black box!  On the ride into work this morning I was able to ride smoothly at 50km/h in fifth gear.  I've never been able to do that previously.  Lower speeds usually always get me reaching for third gear but not any more.  Previously at lower speeds I could always see the rev counter sort of flickering as the fueling came in and out, but this morning it was rock steady.  I had been considering a re-flash, mainly to eliminate low speed hunting but now I don't need to bother with that.

Like BBB I found it impossible to fit the device without first removing bodywork.  I ended up removing the following on the right hand side:

- Fairing panel
IMG_20180831_200356.jpg

- Top tank cowl (black)
IMG_20180831_200405.jpg

- Right hand tank cowl
IMG_20180831_200400.jpg

- Lower side panel (between tank and frame)
IMG_20180831_200350.jpg

I also removed the rear bolt on the left hand side lower side panel.  This gave me enough flexibility to lift the back of the tank about 5cm which was enough to give me finger room to route the cabling.  It's pretty crowded just to the rear of the tank and I pondered for some time where to best place the O2 controller.  In the end I settled on using some extremely strong velcro to attach it to the top of the box of electronics (is it the abs pump?) immediately forward of the battery box.  The O2 controller is the little black box to the left of the connecter with "UP" written on it in the picture below.
IMG_20180901_191019.jpg

Personally I think the installation looks pretty factory and I was able to achieve a nice routing for the cabling.  Kev's instructions are for the naked MT-09 and are otherwise very good.

So far I'm a very happy camper.  Kev was a pleasure to do business with providing prompt service and communication with regards to shipping etc.  Total delivery time from Oz to Scandinavia was 12 days which is pretty good.

CS     

• 3 weeks later...
That’s a beautifully clean Tracer @captainscarlet ??
Thank you.  I have two major problems which allow me to keep the bike so clean: 
[ol type=decimal][*]I don't ride the thing nearly enough (less then 6 months effective riding season here in Sweden).[*]I'm enormously pedantic so the Tracer probably gets cleaned far too often.[/ol]
;)

CS

Kevs controller works by raising the voltage from the O2 sensor to a consistent value so that the ECU doesn’t switch maps between low and mid throttle settings (its a bit more complicated by open and closed loops but this is roughly what is happening). This stops/reduces the jolting sensation at low throttle settings.

The booster plug has a separate temperature sensor that lowers the ECU temperature reading by about 20C. This fools the ECU into adding more fuel as it thinks it is cold.

I have no experience with the booster plug, but am happy with the Kev version. I suspect the booster plug will blacken plugs if the mixture is too rich and perhaps affect fuel economy, but that’s conjecture on my part.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I see this is still available on eBay (from Australia?) - If I am considering a remap anyway am I right to think this would be redundant?
Remap does more.  You're right - Kev O2 controller is redundant if you will be getting the ECU remap soon. 

I see this is still available on eBay (from Australia?) - If I am considering a remap anyway am I right to think this would be redundant?
Remap does more.  You're right - Kev O2 controller is redundant if you will be getting the ECU remap soon.
Good to know thanks. My 2016 is really crappy at low speeds and I was wondering if either of the two would fix the jerkiness of it. I got a Morgan Carbtune from a friend and will check the throttle bodies first (2500 miles now) but I don't suspect it to be too out of sync but who knows.   
2016 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Good to know thanks. My 2016 is really crappy at low speeds and I was wondering if either of the two would fix the jerkiness of it.

This has been discussed many times before, if you have a '15 or '16 you can adjust your APS.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment

It really makes a noticeable difference and its FREE!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good to know thanks. My 2016 is really crappy at low speeds and I was wondering if either of the two would fix the jerkiness of it.

This has been discussed many times before, if you have a '15 or '16 you can adjust your APS.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment

It really makes a noticeable difference and its FREE!!

Thanks I will check it out!
2016 FJ09

Archived