Please advise on FJ-09

The FJ-09 is designed to compete with the Kawasaki Ninja SX1000 sport touring at about the same price point. this is not the ZX1000 race bike but a perfectly tuned street motor. This is a 1053cc torque monster motor and will deliver better performance 2 up. I owned the SX100 just before I bought the FJ-09. With a better wind screen, the SX had great wind protection. It was also the better high speed bike that could shoot to 140 mph faster than my FJ-09 can get to 120 mph
I'm seeing articles that show both the Ninja SX1000 and FJ-09 at around 10.6 sec in the 1/4 mile. I don't see the advantage except maybe 2 up.
What articles? 
I personally doubt if a stock FJ09 has turned a 10.6 second quarter mile on a flat surface without a heck of a tail wind.

11.2 sec - http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/yamaha-0-60-mph-times/

11.16 sec - http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/13/kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-vs-yamaha-fj-09-sport-tourer-motorcycle-comparison-test-review-photos-specifications

11.250 - http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_fj-09_2015.php

11.16 - http://0-60motorcycletimes.com/2015/11/08/yamaha/

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 is designed to compete with the Kawasaki Ninja SX1000 sport touring at about the same price point. this is not the ZX1000 race bike but a perfectly tuned street motor. This is a 1053cc torque monster motor and will deliver better performance 2 up. I owned the SX100 just before I bought the FJ-09. With a better wind screen, the SX had great wind protection. It was also the better high speed bike that could shoot to 140 mph faster than my FJ-09 can get to 120 mph
I'm seeing articles that show both the Ninja SX1000 and FJ-09 at around 10.6 sec in the 1/4 mile. I don't see the advantage except maybe 2 up. I'm still trying to figure out the need to urgently rocket to 140mph on a motorbike 2-up in such short order. 

Louis-CK-Scratches-His-Head.gif
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I'm seeing articles that show both the Ninja SX1000 and FJ-09 at around 10.6 sec in the 1/4 mile. I don't see the advantage except maybe 2 up.
What articles? 
I personally doubt if a stock FJ09 has turned a 10.6 second quarter mile on a flat surface without a heck of a tail wind.

11.2 sec - http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/yamaha-0-60-mph-times/

11.16 sec - http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/13/kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-vs-yamaha-fj-09-sport-tourer-motorcycle-comparison-test-review-photos-specifications

11.250 - http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_fj-09_2015.php

11.16 - http://0-60motorcycletimes.com/2015/11/08/yamaha/

I don't know if it will do 10.6, but with ECU flash and speed limiter removed it will be faster than the times in those articles. It's crossing the line of the 1/4 mile bouncing off the limiter.

According to this article the FZ-09 does 10.68 @ 128 mph ( http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/10/yamaha-fz-09-vs-triumph-street-triple-r-vs-mv-agusta-brutale-800-comparison-test-review-specs-photos ) so the FJ wouldn't be far behind that.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Why rocket? Because it's fun to accelerate fast and it's a measurable difference between bikes. Matters to some even though both the ninja in question and the FJ are ridiculously fast for the street. Every 1/4 mile time for a stock FJ I've seen has been at 112 mph meaning it was at its speed limiter (115 indicated, 112 actual). From the sound of guys that have taken theirs to the strip, it hits the speed limiter 3/4 of the way through and can't accelerate any more. I think 10.6 is the FZ time. Same engine, no speed limiter but about 30 lbs lighter. I'd be shocked if a pro rider couldn't get the FJ under 11 sec if the only mod was to remove the limiter.

I don't know if it will do 10.6, but with ECU flash and speed limiter removed it will be faster than the times in those articles. It's crossing the line of the 1/4 mile bouncing off the limiter. 
According to this article the FZ-09 does 10.68 @ 128 mph ( http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/10/yamaha-fz-09-vs-triumph-street-triple-r-vs-mv-agusta-brutale-800-comparison-test-review-specs-photos ) so the FJ wouldn't be far behind that.
Nice job ninja! Lol.

• Premium Member
Hi Clint, there is no way my stock FJ-09  could even get close to 11 seconds. I have a test area on a country road near my house that I have run every bike I have owned for 40 years. My stock Ninja reached 132 mph, my FJ-09 with a reflash and stock pipe 116 to 117 mph , 2007 Triumph tiger 955cc with a pipe and tune 122 mph, the same motor 955 cc motor in a triumph sprint 130 mph. Just tonight, I ran my Modified FJ-09 with the Graves exhaust and the 2 wheel dyno tune over the same distance and I ran out of room around 128 mph.  That's an 11 mph improvement and places my FJ in pretty respectable company.

Here is what was special about my modified 140 hp ninja motor. At 35 mph, in 6th gear, rolled on, this bike reached 125 mph in about 12 seconds. At that point it is reaching peak power and kept pulling hard to 148 mph. At 150 mph the motor was basically finished and would struggle up to about 156 mph.
My Nija was glass smooth at 140 mph and my FJ-09 makes my butt pucker after 115 mph.
Here is the kit I put on my Ninja.  http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/2010z1000.htm

Wow, is it just me or did this thread get off track? Given that I'll play along, lol...

I did have a 2011 Ninja 1000 a couple years ago, nice bike and I can see why a lot of people love it. That being said it wasn't perfect and I actually prefer the FJ although it may not be quite as fast. Strange thing about the Ninja is it seemed to be geared like a 600 sport bike, I did change the counter shaft sprocket to bring the revs down a little but I still prefer the gearing on the FJ. The Ninja is also a bigger bike and I think FJ is lighter and better balanced for sport riding. A lot of people also say the Ninja is 'glass smooth', that wasn't my experience. There's something about the inline 4 high frequency vibrations that really bother me and I couldn't drive the Ninja for more than 15-20 minutes without it putting my hands to sleep. I don't know if I'd say the FJ is smoother, but it's vibes don't really bother me.

And, they're both faster than any sane person needs to go...

Hi Clint, there is no way my stock FJ-09  could even get close to 11 seconds. I have a test area on a country road near my house that I have run every bike I have owned for 40 years. My stock Ninja reached 132 mph, my FJ-09 with a reflash and stock pipe 116 to 117 mph , 2007 Triumph tiger 955cc with a pipe and tune 122 mph, the same motor 955 cc motor in a triumph sprint 130 mph. Just tonight, I ran my Modified FJ-09 with the Graves exhaust and the 2 wheel dyno tune over the same distance and I ran out of room around 128 mph.  That's an 11 mph improvement and places my FJ in pretty respectable company.

Here is what was special about my modified 140 hp ninja motor. At 35 mph, in 6th gear, rolled on, this bike reached 125 mph in about 12 seconds. At that point it is reaching peak power and kept pulling hard to 148 mph. At 150 mph the motor was basically finished and would struggle up to about 156 mph.
My Nija was glass smooth at 140 mph and my FJ-09 makes my butt pucker after 115 mph.
Here is the kit I put on my Ninja.  http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/2010z1000.htm

"with ECU flash and speed limiter removed"
"with the Graves exhaust and the 2 wheel dyno tune"
are not FJ09s, they are modified FJ09s - that's my only point. I had my Concours 14 flashed, and I couldn't keep the front end down catching the first 4 gears, but it wasn't a Concours 14 anymore, it was a modified Concours 14. Many things can be done to vehicles to make them faster, better handling, more off-roadable, etc, but they are not the original designation anymore. IMHO

• Premium Member
"with ECU flash and speed limiter removed" "with the Graves exhaust and the 2 wheel dyno tune"
are not FJ09s, they are modified FJ09s - that's my only point. I had my Concours 14 flashed, and I couldn't keep the front end down catching the first 4 gears, but it wasn't a Concours 14 anymore, it was a modified Concours 14. Many things can be done to vehicles to make them faster, better handling, more off-roadable, etc, but they are not the original designation anymore. IMHO

It's still an FJ-09, but it is not stock anymore. An important distinction, but only in the sense that anyone expecting that performance off the showroom floor may be disappointed if their bike doesn't perform like one that has been upgraded. 
Of course they can do the mods to their bike to, but that is another conversation.....

• Premium Member
Comparing the SX 1000 to the FJ 09 really does not make any sense. They are just too far apart on the "Sport Touring" spectrum.  How long can you "tour" at 140 mph?
The true cross is the Kawasaki Veryses with the same 1053cc motor as the sx1000. Had the Veryses been available in 2011, I would probably still have it. I did tour on the SX1000 after doing everything possible to get the bars up. Just never got it to fit me. The FJ-09 fit better right out of the box, but I transfered touring duties to a Can-am RTS spyder. Really pleased with the two riding options.

"with ECU flash and speed limiter removed" "with the Graves exhaust and the 2 wheel dyno tune"

The speed limiter is not on the FJ/Tracer in some countries on stock bikes so it would not require a ECU flash, just a stock bike from another country.  When comparing real world, on the road quickness, it is not fair to compare an artificially limited bike to one that isn't artificially limited, especially when the limited bike is only limited in a limited area.  The limit will not affect on road performance in the limited areas unless you are looking to give up your license.  If you are looking to take it to a track, you are probably looking at the ECU flash for reasons beyond a speed limiter given the FJ is marketed as a light duty touring bike, not a track day bike. 
I have reached my limit considering my limited knowledge of limited bikes in limited areas.

The speed limiter is not on the FJ/Tracer in some countries on stock bikes so it would not require a ECU flash, just a stock bike from another country.  When comparing real world, on the road quickness, it is not fair to compare an artificially limited bike to one that isn't artificially limited, especially when the limited bike is only limited in a limited area.  The limit will not affect on road performance in the limited areas unless you are looking to give up your license.  If you are looking to take it to a track, you are probably looking at the ECU flash for reasons beyond a speed limiter given the FJ is marketed as a light duty touring bike, not a track day bike. 
I have reached my limit considering my limited knowledge of limited bikes in limited areas.
But is its limitlessness limited in a limited area, within limits? 

Archived