Heads-up On Sargent seats!!!!

• Premium Member
It took them 3 times to get it right. Perf+ last August, no welt / topstitch, tag delete & nose lift; $250 shipped.

Only way to fly low. OEM saddle was a killer. I like the no-slip side panels. My 3rd Sargent. The Corbins are 2 times as heavy and take forever to mold to you, plus they are more money and quality control is even worse.

20160812_190029.jpg

20160812_190244.jpg

20160812_190834.jpg

20160812_190908.jpg

20160812_190929.jpg

20160812_190943.jpg

20160812_193609.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I would like a seat that I can get up on the front in the twists but still be able to slide back when I travel. This seat looks like it keeps you in one position. Is my assessment correct?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Thanks Cylinder, I have a Sargents plus seat that I am quite happy with but if I had known about the raised nosing I would have bought it that way. Can the seat be sent back just for a nosing and how is the time frame and cost? Thanks- Fadin

• Premium Member
wow, so many questions...

The raised nose was at no cost because I found myself sliding slightly forward due to loose nose area material bunching, wrinkling permitting enough movement that was very disconcerting. I sent it back at my cost for shipping but not back to me. They sent it back but forgot the tag delete and topstitch (welt delete). Doh!

I called and this time they covered shipping both ways and I asked for a entirely new saddle, as the base was becoming a pin cushion with all the staples. The owner, who heads R&D, added more foam from the tip of the nose to about 4-incges rearward and tightened up the cover material. Problem solved and this feature I thought was to become a runnign change for all FJ-09 saddles going forward since last August, as I was an early recipient but maybe it was not so check with them. They had a sale where shipping and such "custom" mods were "free": $250 total. Wait time was 6 weeks and then another 3 for the first return but only about 8 days for the second. Your wait times will vary based on their backlog and whether they have what you want already in stock.

If you move around a lot during cornering (front to back, side to side) maybe the Perf + with its DTX and Griptex side panels are not for you but I can be a pretty aggressive pilot and very much like my saddle (much better and very much lighter than an overpriced Corbin IMO). It does not lock me in one position any more than the painful OEM saddle, which does not allow much for/aft movement simply because it is relatively short (and getting up and on the pillion saddle is too far astern). I use counter-steering, body movement and peg weighting in turns but the FJ-09, and while narrow and which you can hang off of, it is not necessary to do so at a safe pace on the street IMO.

Thanks for the heads up Heffe.  There was also a sale on President's Day and I ordered a seat on the 18th .  I ordered the Sport Plus, driver only, with heat.  Yesterday made 3 weeks and I'm hoping to hear mine is shipping soon.  The order says 2-3 weeks for delivery so I guess Sargent is running a little behind.  

Ride Safe! 

My order is in. Just ordered the "regular" seat ( no need for fancy stitching or different grippy materials ) and, for $250, it's a worthwhile experiment. Perhaps the seat will get here about the time that the latest glacier subsides...
I've only been able to ride with mine a few times. At first, it was terribly slippery, but that went away after a couple hundred miles. Now I can move around comfortably.
Keep Asheville weird!

I didn't like the Sargent seat. Too thin in padding, and sharp edges that cut into my legs. I'm 5' 11" tall, short legged. Was looking for a seat that would be comfortable for long periods and still let me ride aggressively. Sargent definitely wasn't the one for me.

Does anyone know if the Sargent will work with both of the seat height options for the FJ?
Yes it does. 100% sure. IMO it's better in the low position though.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived