Is the FJ-09 suspension that bad?

krupted

Suspension is very subjective, and varies with rider experience/preferences, rider weight, and road surface. Even 'good' suspension parts doesn't necessarily equal ideal results for every rider. For example, I had a Duc ST4S with Ohlins shock and Showa fork. Even after being properly sprung for my weight, all the fiddling in the world couldn't make it work as good as the stock suspension on my Gen 1 Hayabusa... I come from a road race background, so I have pretty high standards for what I want in suspension.

On the FJ-09, the components are budget because the bike was built to a price point. I would gladly have paid another $1k to have fully adjustable, sportbike level suspension on the FJ9, but that's not what Yamaha have given us. After setting the bike up for my weight, and lowering the front 5mm, the stock suspension works pretty well for me on AZ roads. Notably, switching to Michelin PR4s made a huge improvement in feel and my confidence in the front. The stock Dunlops simply suck.

I may someday upgrade the suspension, if I have the $$ handy, and it doesn't get sucked up by another project. For now, I'm OK with the stock suspension. YMMV...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...if someone is going to keep this bike for some time, the upgrade to front-rear suspension is the only solution....
...you might find it so for you, but we don't all ride the bike the same and come in different shapes/sizes...so an absolute statement like this might be pretty discouraging to someone who may be in the market to buy... just saying.  ;)
no my friend, of course every person has the right to have an opinion, i dont discourage someone to buy this bike. i think its the best for all around multipurpose. light, agile, with torque, beatiful etc. but the fact is that this bike has a very good engine but poor suspension.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Suspension is very subjective, and varies with rider experience/preferences, rider weight, and road surface. Even 'good' suspension parts doesn't necessarily equal ideal results for every rider. For example, I had a Duc ST4S with Ohlins shock and Showa fork. Even after being properly sprung for my weight, all the fiddling in the world couldn't make it work as good as the stock suspension on my Gen 1 Hayabusa... I come from a road race background, so I have pretty high standards for what I want in suspension. 
On the FJ-09, the components are budget because the bike was built to a price point. I would gladly have paid another $1k to have fully adjustable, sportbike level suspension on the FJ9, but that's not what Yamaha have given us. After setting the bike up for my weight, and lowering the front 5mm, the stock suspension works pretty well for me on AZ roads. Notably, switching to Michelin PR4s made a huge improvement in feel and my confidence in the front. The stock Dunlops simply suck.

I may someday upgrade the suspension, if I have the $$ handy, and it doesn't get sucked up by another project. For now, I'm OK with the stock suspension. YMMV...
first of all, lowering the front is not the right move to go, even its only 5mm, you decrease the front travel so you minimize the suspension's functioning. of course whatever rider we are all of us have to set the bike for our weight, even if its stock or with the best aftermarket materials....  by the way michelin pilot road 4 are one of the worst choices for fj09, fj09 does not like soft tyres. if you want to travel, cruise and make lots of km and then change tyres yes its a good option with good performance in wet. but its lacks a LOT in the dry, doesn't turn unless you drop an  anker down. for sport touring i would recommend bridgestone t-30evo and for sport tyre the new s21 battlax (which i use and its very very good and sticky).

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

He means raising the forks in the clamps 5mm, not lowering them. It has exactly the same travel. I will not believe that Pr4's are a bad choice for any bike I think they are the best all round wet weather tyre you can get. You do have to run a few extra psi to get a "normal" feel from them. We fit the to everything at work, motards, sportsbikes, commuters.. Easily our most popular tyre even though they are more expensive than most.
I won't run Slipstones on anything after having them on my Fz6.. but as always each to their own.

He means raising the forks in the clamps 5mm, not lowering them. It has exactly the same travel. I will not believe that Pr4's are a bad choice for any bike I think they are the best all round wet weather tyre you can get. You do have to run a few extra psi to get a "normal" feel from them. We fit the to everything at work, motards, sportsbikes, commuters.. Easily our most popular tyre even though they are more expensive than most. I won't run Slipstones on anything after having them on my Fz6.. but as always each to their own.
 you know that having the race blue model that gives you +10hp and its the fastest and beautiful fj09 you have to pick the right tyre right? hahaha... 
seriously now... i have used pr4 on my tracer, and didnt like at all. also this opinion share another 3-4 friends of mine with same bike. i have used in total 3 different tyres in fj09 (tracer) except the dunlop d222....(the other were bridgestone battlax t30evo, m7rr wobblier, pr4). pilot road was the worst in dry and slower turning....

you told it yourself, its a good all around wet weather tyre.
unless you live in a rainy place 300 days of 365 per year, this is not a wise choice. for me in a dry, hot weather climate where i live, its not an option at all, after i tested it.... metzeler roadtec 01 seems to be superior as an option in sport touring category...also for dry climate and sportier option in the same category is the t30 evo.... very very good!!!

anyway we are all free to have our options... drive safely!

He means raising the forks in the clamps 5mm, not lowering them. It has exactly the same travel. I will not believe that Pr4's are a bad choice for any bike I think they are the best all round wet weather tyre you can get. You do have to run a few extra psi to get a "normal" feel from them. We fit the to everything at work, motards, sportsbikes, commuters.. Easily our most popular tyre even though they are more expensive than most. I won't run Slipstones on anything after having them on my Fz6.. but as always each to their own.
 you know that having the race blue model that gives you +10hp and its the fastest and beautiful fj09 you have to pick the right tyre right? hahaha... 
seriously now... i have used pr4 on my tracer, and didnt like at all. also this opinion share another 3-4 friends of mine with same bike. i have used in total 3 different tyres in fj09 (tracer) except the dunlop d222....(the other were bridgestone battlax t30evo, m7rr wobblier, pr4). pilot road was the worst in dry and slower turning....

unless you live in a rainy place 300 days of 365 per year, this is not a wise choice. for me in a dry, hot weather climate where i live, its not an option at all, after i tested it.... metzeler roadtec 01 seems to be superior as an option in sport touring category...also for dry climate and sportier option in the same category is the t30 evo.... very very good!!!

Hahaha yeah the Race Blu is the one to be on! All I get to ride in is rain..! I am really liking the Dunlop roadsmart III's I have on now actually, but I will still revert to the pr4's for my own comparison. You too mate.

Im pretty sure the matte silver with blurple wheels is the new faster model they make ;)

first of all, lowering the front is not the right move to go, even its only 5mm, you decrease the front travel so you minimize the suspension's functioning. of course whatever rider we are all of us have to set the bike for our weight, even if its stock or with the best aftermarket materials....  by the way michelin pilot road 4 are one of the worst choices for fj09, fj09 does not like soft tyres. if you want to travel, cruise and make lots of km and then change tyres yes its a good option with good performance in wet. but its lacks a LOT in the dry, doesn't turn unless you drop an  anker down. for sport touring i would recommend bridgestone t-30evo and for sport tyre the new s21 battlax (which i use and its very very good and sticky).
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  As I said, it's a subjective subject. ;)

BTW, raising the forks in the triples doesn't affect travel.

Also, PR4s are an excellent all around tire, and far superior to the stock Dunlops in every way.  I've spent enough time going around racetracks to know a bit about tires.  Are there higher performance tires out there?  Sure... but if I wanted another sportbike I would have bought one.  

...you might find it so for you, but we don't all ride the bike the same and come in different shapes/sizes...so an absolute statement like this might be pretty discouraging to someone who may be in the market to buy... just saying.  ;)
 I think its the best for all around multipurpose. light, agile, with torque, beatiful etc. but the fact is that this bike has a very good engine but poor suspension.
That's about as good and succinct an overview as you could get, IMHO.   But no doubt somebody's MMV...  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

double post

Aug 2, 2016 7:08:01 GMT 3 rodan said:After setting the bike up for my weight, and lowering the front 5mm, the stock suspension works pretty well for me on AZ roads. Notably, switching to Michelin PR4s made a huge improvement in feel and my confidence in the front. The stock Dunlops simply suck.

what did i misunderstood? how by raising the forks you get to lower them? my english are not that good so perhaps i didnt catch up the meaning. can you spare a photo? stock dunlops are just ok in dry. not good, after all the dont get imported at all in europe, it was a cost efficiency choice from yamaha for reducing the cost. only in japan these are. the difference is the prospective we have on the bike. i want a multirole bike (with the plus and minus of it) and a sport tyre as I have seen performs very well in wet and dry. and yes its all about role, how you use it, what you want from the bike and how you have fun with this. if i wanted a commuter, adventure bike for thousand of miles in highway i would have bought a mega on off for this, gs1200, a tiger explorer, a caponord.

...can we start a new oil thread please instead? B-|
How about asking which colour socks (sox) riders wear?  :) 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
How about asking which colour socks (sox) riders wear?  :)
...I think white socks are the fastest, and frankly the only kind to wear with the FJ. :D  
Plaid is good, but the speed is only average... 

Not going to read everything in this thread but the suspension is fine. No its not perfect but works. I am loaded almost to the max if I calculate just right I am 25 lbs under max right now.
Drove it on the truck scale with a passenger and we were 3 lbs under max and it did just fine. You do have to becareful when stopping it does dive but not that much.
My front is set two bars showing with stock rebound. Rear is set to 7 with rebound a quayer turn from max.

Im pretty sure the matte silver with blurple wheels is the new faster model they make ;)
That's what the race blu is in Australia anyway.. matte silver with blurple wheels and blue forks. And a nice blurple rear spring although mine is now Nitron blue. Odd colour not really sold on it yet...

Archived