Rear axle and chain adjuster issues - a story

I got my new chain adjusters (linked by piotrek) a few days ago and the weather was good enough to fit them today. My first time doing this so I took some pictures in case it helps anyone.

So, onto side stand and a two foot breaker bar made short work of loosening the axle nut (phew, after reading about some people finding this difficult). Back onto centre stand, axle out and wheel dropped gently onto the floor. The axle had some surface corrosion so I cleaned it up with a scotch pad and lightly greased it with copper grease.

You can see the corrosion and OEM adjuster here.

20161020_111140.jpg

Side-by-side comparison of OEM and new.

20161020_111236.jpg

And close-up of the damage in OEM

20161020_120007.jpg

A good chance to clean up the whole area while the adjusters are off and I also found the adjusting bolts were oxidising badly. I took these out completely, cleaned the threads, copper greased and re-inserted them. You can't normally do this so it seemed like a good opportunity for preventative maintenance.

20161020_111150.jpg

I put the axle back through the new adjuster and you can see how the design traps the axle neatly and prevents it turning.

20161020_112724.jpg

The same the other side; a neat recess for the washer.

20161020_112902.jpg

Nipped up the axle nut, adjusted chain slack to 1 inch movement, back on side stand and final torque to 150Nm . And then, in complete contrast, the sliders only needed 8Nm  :D

Job done!

20161020_115712.jpg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 5 months later...
I just bought these. About as simple as they come and that's what I like about them... and inexpensive. Looks like these fix the flaw in the original design. We'll see... hope the seller ain't some shady character...'cause I used my kid's tuition money ;) . It's an equally worthy cause I say.
Hi, I would like to get a set of these or some of similar quality. Does anyone know where to get them . I don't want Chinese junk. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
when  loosening the nut, not torquing, i had exactly the same :
20170504_165207b.jpg
I ordered new original yamaha parts, Apparently they  changed the chain adjuster, see picture:
20170504_165127a.jpg
For now i torque to 86, instead of 108, All good so far.

• Supporting Member
I just received the same ones from Ebay, the seller was very quick to respond with any questions and I had them in 9 day shipped from the U.K.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I just received the same ones from Ebay, the seller was very quick to respond with any questions and I had them in 9 day shipped from the U.K.

Ok so now we all want to know the Yamaha price AND the eBay price. ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Supporting Member
Ok so now we all want to know the Yamaha price AND the eBay price. ?
Ebay parts were $54.00 shipped, the OEM parts vary, about $30-$40 each side. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I loosened my axle nut for the 1st time this morning and it was real tight. Good thing I had a 24" breaker bar. The opposite side (left side) was showing signs of twisting into the adjuster on loosening not tightening. I only torqued it to 100 Foot pounds.

• Premium Member

20170324_180224.jpg

20170324_202211.jpg

20170324_202222.jpg

My issue with the OEM adjusting assembly was it was a PITA to adjust the chain. I looked at the Gilles and Lightspeed and thought they were way over-priced despite there apparent quality (Lightspeed had a recall on theirs). I looked at the Chinese options and of the 2 primary designs available I thought what I bought was superior. Next time I adjust the chain I'll insert a shim on both sides of the axle head flats because the the adjuster axle head "slot" is a bit too wide. It has not cause any issues though and adjusting the chain is a breeze with clicker detents and a fine veneer scale to compare both sides. Very happy with them overall.

20170324_180224.jpg

20170324_202211.jpg

20170324_202222.jpg

My issue with the OEM adjusting assembly was it was a PITA to adjust the chain. I looked at the Gilles and Lightspeed and thought they were way over-priced despite there apparent quality (Lightspeed had a recall on theirs). I looked at the Chinese options and of the 2 primary designs available I thought what I bought was superior. Next time I adjust the chain I'll insert a shim on both sides of the axle head flats because the the adjuster axle head "slot" is a bit too wide. It has not cause any issues though and adjusting the chain is a breeze with clicker detents and a fine veneer scale to compare both sides. Very happy with them overall.

I have lightech adjusters. Where did you see they had a recall? Mine works flawlessly.

• 4 months later...

20170324_202211.jpg

Any info on these? Where you grabbed them from? Brand? How have they been working for you?

• Premium Member
Could you kindly provide a link to the vendor's site?
I read it on one of the forums when researching rear chain adjusters.  The issue if I recall was the side-to-side thickness of "pockets" where the bolt head and nut set into the adjuster causing insufficient thread engagement for the nut.  I do not believe it was on a unit for the FJ-09 but am not sure.  maybe the unit you received was post recall.

• Premium Member
Could you kindly provide a link to the vendor's site?
I read it on one of the forums when researching rear chain adjusters.  The issue if I recall was the side-to-side thickness of "pockets" where the bolt head and nut set into the adjuster causing insufficient thread engagement for the nut.  I do not believe it was on a unit for the FJ-09 but am not sure.  maybe the unit you received was post recall.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Aluminum-Chain-Adjusters-Tensioners-Catena-For-2013-2016-YAMAHA-FZ-09-FZ09-/231785650706 
So far so good.