Rear axle and chain adjuster issues - a story

I think my “simple and elegant” solution would be not to ride the bike until I found a replacement.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 10 months later...

What caused it to strip the threads? Was it because of over torquing the bolt?

recently adjusted my chain slack and the torqued the rear axle bolt to 111 ft/lbs per the manual (for the 2019 tracer) using a beam torque wrench. The other side of the axle is slightly misaligned. Is this normal? 

527787E1-7EF1-4F9B-8627-98276B2D1C05.jpeg

Yes, your photos are normal. You’re all good.

There’s a few things that could have caused people to have issues with the nuts seizing and cross threading: dirty threads from shoving the axle back through when changing the tire.  Not lining the axle up properly and beating the other end with a hammer which can damage the threads of the axle. Over torquing the nut, tightening or loosening with impact wrenches, and as the OP mentioned: bad luck and not paying attention. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

42 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Yes, your photos are normal. You’re all good.

There’s a few things that could have caused people to have issues with the nuts seizing and cross threading: dirty threads from shoving the axle back through when changing the tire.  Not lining the axle up properly and beating the other end with a hammer which can damage the threads of the axle. Over torquing the nut, tightening or loosening with impact wrenches, and as the OP mentioned: bad luck and not paying attention. 

-Skip

Awesome, thanks for clarifying things. Hard not to get OC about these things at times hehe! 

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

I think Yamaha has crazy tourqe specs for a LOT of it's bolts. BIG problem on FZ07 forum with axle nuts. First thing I do is remove that nut and grease the axle threads then tourqe to about 70 lb. ft. Never any problems. 108 is crazy even dry. Of course you will strip and gall threads.

Sprocket nuts are another. I no longer just blindly take a given spec. as gospel. Some times these things are dictated by company lawyers.

• Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...