X-creen tour

carioca

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hey Guys, 
Has anyone had experience of the x-creen touring model on their tracer?

I have seen some mixed reaponses on the sport version but what's the view on the larger sibling?

Thanks

It's tricky to install because it's so big and you have to drop down the mounts far enough so there's clearance on either side of the holes that need to be drilled and don't stretch the plastic film template otherwise you'll get too close to the edge don't ask me how I know other than that seems to function well

But I have it on the givi touring screen I haven't tried it with the stock screen. I guess I'm Too Tall at only 6 feet for the Givi screen and it's 27 inches long but with the X screen you have the adjustability to make it work

Thanks dude. I'm 6'2", but mostly leg! Short torso.

I've asked for both the x-creen sport and givi touring screen for my B-day, so it's interesting to hear you combined the givi touring with the x-creen touring!!

I figured the x-creen would give adjustability on the std for summer, and adjustability on Givi for winter... hoping the two combined will make motorway cruising peaceful and quiet (ish!)

• Premium Member
See attached photos. In really hot weather (90F 70 RH, ug) I lowered the Givi Tour to the lowest position and readjusted the X-Creen and it was just barely tolerable. I've considered trying the X-Creen Tour on the stock screen but had not fit the template, which is mandatory because it is wider than the Sport. If you email MRW they will email you templates for both the Tour and Sport to print (you'll need a 11 x 17 printer). That's what I did and by lowering the mounting holes I have about 7 mm from the edge of the top holes (which are out more than the bottom holes) to the outside edges of the screen.

I have verified on several other FJ-09 that the OEM screen height adjustment mechanism permits at least 5 mm of forward and back forth movement ("play" top to bottom vertically). This rocking is accentuated with a taller screen. I have resorted to shoving 60 durometer closed-cell neoprene foam rubber wrapped in polyvinyl foam shelf liner between the back of the screen support frame and the V-shaped black plastic nose cowl piece behind the frame in two locations which has minimized the movement but makes adjust the screen height that much more of the PITA it already is. I also already did the split rubber grommet and flat washer mod (plus another rubber washer) behind the adjustment knobs but this mod does not effect the screen fore-aft, top to bottom rocking issue.

Do you have this problem too?

http://imgur.com/a/aeMGa

I had lots of problems with the XCreen Sport and the stock screen, too pressure on the screen made by the MRA deflector and you will notice violent shaking of the screen itself and the functionality of the MRA will go away.

I had to replace the stock screen with an Isotta, much, much better.
The Isotta is about 4mm more thick, stronger and a bit more higher, with the MRA works like a charm, no more buffeting, no more shaking.
There's a thread with some photos in the forum.

(i prefer the MRA Sport because you can mount it with clamps without drilling)

Do u really need the deflector with the Givi Touring shield ? It's enormous already...

For my opinion, the deflector with the stock isn't a good idea, i was travelling at highway speed (120kph) and because of the extra aerodynamic weight added by the deflector to the stock screen, it was almost horizontal (and totally useless).

I love my Xcreen Tour with Calsci Medium Shield, bolted not clamped. Does the best job at deflecting the wind and creating a quiet pocket, which for me greatly outweighs the extra edges in my line of sight. I had the same Xcreen for my V-Strom, and when I moved to FJ-09 first tried the Xcreen Sport with its stock shield, but it didn't provide enough deflection and made that shield wobble a ton at speed. Decided on the Calsci medium because I wanted to see over it more (my height is 5'11" with 32" inseam) but it didn't eliminate buffeting enough so bought another Xcreen Tour. Because the Xcreen Tour pushes out forward rather than upward, I can still see fine over it. Combined with Schuberth C3 Helmet I now completely enjoy highway speeds without earplugs.

• 9 months later...
Will def be using clamps. I dont trust myself to drill.  
Not sure what I'll do about the shake, but i wanted both options - xcreen with std for summer and xcreen with givi for winter...
I use the X-creen touring with the National Cycle Sport Touring screen and it works well. You can mount it with the extension arms or directly to the screen mounts. I find it works best directly attached to the screen without the arms and there is no noise or turbulence (I am 6 ft tall).   
I also have the X-creen sport which I use in hot weather with the stock screen. Once you get he angle right there is almost no turbulence or helmet pressure but there is enough wind noise that ear plugs are a good idea. There is good cooling airflow with this setup so my mesh jacket works well. 

I wouldn't be worried about drilling the screen. If you have a sharp drill and a steady hand it is very easy. It also looks better without that bulky clamp. The position of the screen will be lower with the drill mount.

I don't get any screen shake since I tightened up the adjuster knobs real tight. I use the lowest position for both screens which is lucky because I don't think I could undo those adjusters!
2017_05_18_011_Large_Screen.jpg2017_05_18_012_Small_Screen.jpg2017_05_18_014_Screens.jpg

• 3 months later...

I too am now using the X-creen with the Nat Cycle V stream sport touring and sadly its BETTER but not buffeting free. I am using the dogbones with the clamp kit as I don't want to drill my shield but in retrospect i should have gotten the taller touring shield since i ended up spending more money. If i can maybe sell the combo here i will buy the larger screen. Live and learn I guess. 

Will def be using clamps. I dont trust myself to drill.  
Not sure what I'll do about the shake, but i wanted both options - xcreen with std for summer and xcreen with givi for winter...
I use the X-creen touring with the National Cycle Sport Touring screen and it works well. You can mount it with the extension arms or directly to the screen mounts. I find it works best directly attached to the screen without the arms and there is no noise or turbulence (I am 6 ft tall).   
I also have the X-creen sport which I use in hot weather with the stock screen. Once you get he angle right there is almost no turbulence or helmet pressure but there is enough wind noise that ear plugs are a good idea. There is good cooling airflow with this setup so my mesh jacket works well. 

I wouldn't be worried about drilling the screen. If you have a sharp drill and a steady hand it is very easy. It also looks better without that bulky clamp. The position of the screen will be lower with the drill mount.

I don't get any screen shake since I tightened up the adjuster knobs real tight. I use the lowest position for both screens which is lucky because I don't think I could undo those adjusters!

2017_05_18_011_Large_Screen.jpg

2017_05_18_012_Small_Screen.jpg

2017_05_18_014_Screens.jpg

2016 FJ09

• 4 weeks later...
Here's some pictures of the X-creen tour  SPORT clamped to the Givi screen,         (edit- not tour. Thanks Betoney)
and the Givi S180T deflector (dusty) as a comparison.

The X-creen is wide, but not too wide for the Givi 2122DT touring screen.
TbZimgi.jpg 4SV8TMN.jpg ZSNjyi7.jpg
nqmkqG9.jpg 8ls8KGQ.jpg  yA4CbBW.jpg

• Supporting Member
Here's some pictures of the X-creen tour clamped to the Givi screen, and the Givi S180T deflector (dusty) as a comparison.

The X-creen is wide, but not too wide for the Givi 2122DT touring screen.
TbZimgi.jpg 4SV8TMN.jpg ZSNjyi7.jpg
nqmkqG9.jpg 8ls8KGQ.jpg  yA4CbBW.jpg

That X-creen you have pictured is the Sport version.  If you look at the side by side photo in the post above, the X-creen tour on the right is considerably larger and a much different shape. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived