At the Tail of the Dragon

I just got back from my own trip to the Dragon.

Results:

CqkVVXpWEAEpbmV.jpg:large

CqkVfBUVMAAamKX.jpg:large

CqkVYToXYAE4MvZ.jpg:large

Mission accomplished.

From PA I went down the east coast and visited from friends in Virginia Beach, then west from there to Roanoke and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I didn't take too many photos, but here are probably my 3 favorite:

Cp_bnUNW8AAc7Tr.jpg:large

I don't really care about the tank that much, but I like all the unintentional lens effects I got on this one.
CqESmODWAAAUWUe.jpg:large

This is my "arty" one.
CqFOSXwWAAArB8a.jpg:large

Regarding the FJ's capabilities - I have never been to the Dragon before. I have also never dragged pegs before or ever used that much of my tire, even on my previous bike (a "sporty" CBR500R). I was on stock tires, stock suspension, and carrying about 240lbs in total (200lbs me and 40lbs luggage). Every time a peg hit, it scared the crap out of me, but the bike was planted.

There was a Triumph Speed Triple (or Street Triple, I can't tell the difference) with a young guy on it that I was keeping pace with. He was faster than me in the very tight right handers, but that's about it. I felt pretty good about that. I was also passing ever other "adventure" style bike that was out there.

However, I was fairly well spanked by a skinny guy in full race leathers on a Ducati Hypermotard. Trying to keep up with him almost got me into trouble.

Didn't really see many traditional faired sport/supersport bikes out there. Quickest guys seemed to be on supermotos or "super nakeds".

What was depressing is that about 80% of the bikes I did see were cruisers or Goldwings, and I say at least a quarter of those were trikes - all of which were just cruising at slow pace. I don't understand the point of taking a non-sporty bike to a challenging road. When you ride it that slow it's hardly different than any other road. There was a group of gaudy baggers that were going like 25mph (and 10mph in corners) holding up a huge line of traffic behind them; when we got to them end, they pulled into the little shop/motel area, got off and gave themselves all high fives. Like seriously, you're high fiving yourselves for what, not scuffing your airbrushed flame job during your grandpa cruise on your garage queen?

That's the reason there's no reason to ride that road anymore. At least not in the summer. There are countless roads in the area that are just as good as the Dragon and safer due to lack of morons. The Dragon's a victim of its own success. I guess it's great for the people who own businesses nearby, but as far as riding goes, it has become a waste of time. BTW, on a road like that, a supermoto is king. Do not try to keep up with one of those. Ride your own pace.
Our worry should be that what is happening in Germany doesn't happen here. Tons of great roads are being closed to motorcyclists. Cars can use them, just no bikes. Sometimes it's a weekend only restriction, sometimes not. I'd like to think that couldn't happen in the US, but no longer confident. Sorry for bunny trail rant.

• Premium Member
That's the reason there's no reason to ride that road anymore. At least not in the summer. There are countless roads in the area that are just as good as the Dragon and safer due to lack of morons. The Dragon's a victim of its own success. I guess it's great for the people who own businesses nearby, but as far as riding goes, it has become a waste of time. BTW, on a road like that, a supermoto is king. Do not try to keep up with one of those. Ride your own pace. Our worry should be that what is happening in Germany doesn't happen here. Tons of great roads are being closed to motorcyclists. Cars can use them, just no bikes. Sometimes it's a weekend only restriction, sometimes not. I'd like to think that couldn't happen in the US, but no longer confident. Sorry for bunny trail rant.

+1
Couldn't have said it better...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived