Speedo Accuracy

Guest highplainsrider

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
What kind of bikes have you ridden because my previous 4 (suzuki, 2 yamahas, and a Harley) did not have front wheel sensors.
Huh. Chain drive bikes I've owned include a Triumph TT600, FZR750, a couple of GSX600s (US Kanotuna), and a VF750. The Yamaha, Honda, and Suzukis all had cable drive front sensors. The Triumph had a hall effect sensor on the front wheel, so no cable but still famously prone to failure.

I had a SpeedoDRD on my 2006 FZ1. It was internal to the transmission/final drive. No wheel sensors at all.

On that bike I went down a tooth up front, and it made it much more fun around town, and was still fine on the highway. Actually make the top speed better as the engine was in it's power band in 6th v/s being beyond it.

Not that we need to be riding near 150mph anyway....
I think I decided my life was worth more than finding true top speed at about 147 indicated, but it was common to glance down while passing traffic and be well over 130 in a 45mph zone.... Miss the insane top end on that bike from time to time... LOL

Also, if you go with the Yamaha front sprocket, it's rubber isolated, so it's in theory, quiet compared to a steel only one. I think my FZ1 was using a FZ6 front sprocket. I still have the stock one on the shelf. I'll have to count the teeth, if it's one down from stock on the FJ09, that would be a viable option for someone.

My speedometer verse Garmin GPS, 0-25 mph correct, 25-50 mph speedometer +1, 50 to about 110 mph speedometer +2, somewhere about 110 mph speedometer +3. When traveling at the upper speed range, my focus is on the road not the difference between the speedometer and GPS. I have no plans on checking the difference beyond this. I also have the factory front tire, on the back I have the Dunlop Road Smart 2 in the stock size. A different model of tire may affect the speedometers reading. Hope this helps someone.

Kurt

Tire circumference varies greatly with manufacturers and tire models.  A quick measurement from the center of the axle to the ground with the bike upright will give you the radius.  My Pirelli Rosso III rear is much taller than the stock Dunlop. 
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've never seen a chain drive motorcycle that took speed from the transmission. Every chain drive bike I've owned used a front wheel sensor for speed. Since the FJ needs wheel speed sensors for ABS and traction control, it makes sense to use that data for speedometer/odo output, too.
I'm a wheelie junkie. With the traction control off I start wheelies in 1st gear and shift in the air through 2nd and someitmes 3rd gear. No way the front wheel can be the source for the speedo since I start at 35 mph and put the tire down at 88 mph when the 2nd gear rev limiter kicks in. I.m going to try two up on the rear sprocket to make 2nd gear lift the wheel a little easier. My best wheelies are on the last gallon of gas in the tank. The bike struggles with 2nd gear wheelies with a full tank.  Has anyone tired 2 up on the rear sprocket?
Dennis near Chicago

• Premium Member
I've never seen a chain drive motorcycle that took speed from the transmission. Every chain drive bike I've owned used a front wheel sensor for speed. Since the FJ needs wheel speed sensors for ABS and traction control, it makes sense to use that data for speedometer/odo output, too.
I'm a wheelie junkie. With the traction control off I start wheelies in 1st gear and shift in the air through 2nd and someitmes 3rd gear. No way the front wheel can be the source for the speedo since I start at 35 mph and put the tire down at 88 mph when the 2nd gear rev limiter kicks in. I.m going to try two up on the rear sprocket to make 2nd gear lift the wheel a little easier. My best wheelies are on the last gallon of gas in the tank. The bike struggles with 2nd gear wheelies with a full tank.  Has anyone tired 2 up on the rear sprocket?
Dennis near Chicago
I have no intention of trying it, but if you do then you'll have to shift to third gear sooner. Would you rather wheelie to 88 in second, or shift to third at a lower speed in order to get up to 88? How about adding some weight on the luggage rack to offset the weight of the fuel?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I found the speed healer for the fj09 # sh-v4-ab-sh-u01 I ordered from blue monkey. I also have the 15t primary sprocket ordered as well.from sprocket center. I have used the speed healer before on a Suzuki that was off by 10% overstating the speed. After install it was so accurate that at 120 mph it registered 121.

• 2 months later...
Anyone know for sure on this? My 2014 FZ09 had no ABS/TCS, so it had to be gear box based. I never changed anything on that bike but it was a few mph faster indicated than what the GPS showed from my phone. At 50 on the bike, it's more like 57 on the GPS. At higher speeds on the FZ, I was paying more attention to traffic to spend much time reading the GPS/phone that was in my tank bag's clear flap/lid.

But I have not checked on the FJ09 yet. It would be very nice if the ABS sensors were used, then any gear changes would not create a need for a Speedo DRD.

But it would also mean you can not get your exact MPH corrected with a Speedo DRD either.

On other bikes the speedo accuracy depends on the country. USA speedos are usually accurate but here in Canada the speedo reads between 7 and 10% high. Each country has regulations about speedo accuracy so  you should say where you live. 

• Premium Member
I'm in the USA and almost all the bikes I've ever owned had a 10% speedo error. The FJ is less more like 2 to 3%. My Super Tenere is 10%. Howard my 1999 Suzuki SV650 with a mechanical speedo is usually right on! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• 2 weeks later...
My 2015 tracer has the following:

actual 100mph   indicated  107mph90mph                              96mph80mph                              86mph70mph                              75mph60mph                              65mph50                                     54

• Supporting Member
Is the gearing correctable on the FJ through the ECU flash?  On my previous FZ1 I had the speedoDRD and when Nels flashed the ECU he asked my gearing.  He changed settings in the ECU to eliminate the need for the speedoDRD.  After the flash, my speedo was within 1 mph when verified with GPS.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived