Front seat latching problem

Just acquired a pre-owned 2015 FJ-09.  One issue that has me puzzled is trying to move the rider's seat to the high position.  After moving the under-seat plastic piece (the h-shaped one with four projections) into the proper position, I fnd that the seat-mounted tongue will not line up with the movable latch.  It appears that all other aspects of the seat are in proper alignment - the front bumpers sit directly on their landing points and the small plastic tab/projection on the right rear underside of the seat lines up perfectly with the "H" hole in the seat support casting.  It looks like either the under seat mounted tongue needs to move forward or the entire latching mechanism needs to move rearward.   Neither have an adjutment feature. Mis-alignment is 1/4" - 3/8".  

I've searched the forum and have not found any reference to this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just acquired a pre-owned 2015 FJ-09.  One issue that has me puzzled is trying to move the rider's seat to the high position.  After moving the under-seat plastic piece (the h-shaped one with four projections) into the proper position, I fnd that the seat-mounted tongue will not line up with the movable latch.  It appears that all other aspects of the seat are in proper alignment - the front bumpers sit directly on their landing points and the small plastic tab/projection on the right rear underside of the seat lines up perfectly with the "H" hole in the seat support casting.  It looks like either the under seat mounted tongue needs to move forward or the entire latching mechanism needs to move rearward.   Neither have an adjutment feature. Mis-alignment is 1/4" - 3/8".   
I've searched the forum and have not found any reference to this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This structure is one of the weirdest seat-adjusters I've ever had on a bike: 'fiddly' is too tame a word!   Are you sure that you have the plastic 'tab' that protrudes from the front underside of the seat in the correct position?   The Owners' Manual refers to it (pp 4.29 on) as 'the projection', and it slots into 'the seat holder' at the top of this metal casting.   The accompanying diagrams are tiny and very unclear about this.   I have found that if everything lines-up as you have described the back of the rider's seat then needs a very firm [em]'thump'[/em] to get it to latch properly. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the word "flimsy" mentioned above seemed to light a bulb in my foggy brain. Once I wrapped my head around the idea of a "flimsy" seat, I simply went to work flexing the seat base until the seat tang and latch lined up. Bingo! Everything fit together. It took a fair amount of force to make that happen, but I think we're good to go. Hope the tolerances/dimensional accuracy on the rest of the bike are substantially better!

Archived