Hi everyone,

In about 4 days I will be heading out to discover Utah in all its glory. I really have no plans but to camp along the way and see Zion, Bryce, and Moab.
My route will be leaving Washington thru Oregon, Nevada and coming up southwest Utah with Zion as my first national park.
Its going to be a hot one but I am up for the challange and can change course at any time. I will be sticking to the paved roads.
So if anyone has any places thats a must see or roads I should take I am open for sugestions. I have 8 days and will be heading back via Idaho, got to stop by and say hi to grandpa.

• Premium Member
Hi everyone, 
In about 4 days I will be heading out to discover Utah in all its glory. I really have no plans but to camp along the way and see Zion, Bryce, and Moab.
My route will be leaving Washington thru Oregon, Nevada and coming up southwest Utah with Zion as my first national park.
Its going to be a hot one but I am up for the challange and can change course at any time. I will be sticking to the paved roads.
So if anyone has any places thats a must see or roads I should take I am open for sugestions. I have 8 days and will be heading back via Idaho, got to stop by and say hi to grandpa.
Heat be damned, I'm envious! Have fun and safe travels. Take lots of pics and post up here, please.

Have a great time.  There is a lot to see and do.  On our trip last year:

We started in Zion.  We took timed hikes from some trail heads, 30-40 minutes in and turn around.  Just beautiful.  The cool Utube videos are of the angels landing hike - way up to a peak.
Then rode the 9 to 89 to 12 to Bryce canyon.  Rode thru the stone bridge arch and stayed at the hotel near the entrance.  We walked the rim walk, but wish I had gone down into Bryce.
Then we rode on the 12 all the way thru the escalante grand staircase - unbelievable views, great roads.  Caution - gotta keep checking weather - we got stuck in snow at high altitude here in mid May.  Stayed in Torrey.
Then east on the 24 to Hanksville - there some cave art on the way.
Then south on 95 from Hankville.  Stop at Hog Springs for a hike in the red rock desert.  Very cool.
On to Natural Bridges - do the loop, wish we had hiked down.
The we took 261 towards Mexican Hat - rode down the Mokey Dugway - thank goodness for the ABS.  I was singing old Beatles songs in my helmet to stay calm.
Fly down to Mexican hat for hot tub and see the stars.
Next day - Monument Valley then 160 to 98 to Page AZ.  see the slot canyons cave tour and horsehoe bend, and the bridge.
Head back to St. George via the 89A through Vermillion Cliffs.  Don't drink the water at Lee's Ferry Lodge - I think that's where I picked up a GI bug.

Outstanding touring.  Met lots of other riders.  Great views.  We only did about 150 miles a day.  Stayed at cheap hotels.

This is our trip itinerary.  I hope it is helpful.

Thursday, April 23
Las Vegas
Arrive at 10:20 am
Pick up Bikes at noon
6675 S Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 454-6269 Ride: 3:00 hours
150 miles
Via:
Valley of Fire State Park
St. George, Utah Best Western Travel Inn
316 E Saint George Blvd
St. George, Utah
+14356733541

Friday, April 24
St. George, UT Ride to Zion National Park, 1:00 hours – 47 miles, scenic highway
Visit Zion National Park
Ride to Bryce Canyon National Park, 2:00 hours – 85 miles Bryce Canyon, Utah Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
30 North 100 East
Bryce Canyon, UT
+14358345700

Saturday, April 25
Visit Bryce Canyon
Ride to Torrey UT:
2:30 hours – 115 miles
Scenic highway Torrey, Utah
Austin's Chuckwagon Lodge
12 West Main Street
Torrey, UT
+14354253335

Sunday, April 26
Mexican Hat, UT Ride to Mexican Hat: 3:15 hours – 173 miles
Scenic highway
Visit Natural Bridges Nat’l Monument Mexican Hat, UT
Hat Rock Inn
120 U.S. 163 Scenic, Mexican Hat, UT 84531
435-683-2221

Monday, April 27
Page, AZ Ride to Page:
3:00 hours – 154 miles
Scenic highway
Visit Monument Valley, Riverbend Page AZ
Comfort Inn & Suites Page
890 Haul Road
Page, AZ
+19286456931

Tuesday, April 28
St. George, UT Ride to St. George
3:00 hours, 150 miles St. George, UT
Inn On The Cliff
511 S. Airport Road
St. George, UT
+14352165864

Wednesday, April 29
Las Vegas, NV
6675 S Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 454-6269 Ride to Las Vegas
3:00 – 150 miles
Return bikes by noon
Taxi to airport Flight home: 2:40 pm
Nevada is in the Pacific time zone, so there is an hour difference with Mountain time (so, if you fly into Las Vegas and head into Utah, you will lose an hour; you get that hour back when you return from Utah to Las Vegas for the flight home).

I'm doing a similar trip in September when it's a bit cooler but I plan on staying in cheap motels. Good luck on your trip and please create a ride report or post some pictures when you get back.

Here's the route that I'll be taking. I have family in Northern Utah so I plan on meeting up with them and then continuing on to Grand Teton and Yellowstone by car.

https://goo.gl/maps/89hhKNq4Kqm

That is almost the same route I will be taking. I was just down in your neck of the woods about three weeks ago surfing at mission bay.
Mission Bay is very nice. I haven't surfed in about 15 years but I do miss it. 
Let us know how the camping goes too. That was my original plan but I don't care much for crowded sites and I'm not familiar enough with the area to know the condition of or access to primitive sites.

I'm doing a similar trip in September when it's a bit cooler but I plan on staying in cheap motels. Good luck on your trip and please create a ride report or post some pictures when you get back. 
Here's the route that I'll be taking. I have family in Northern Utah so I plan on meeting up with them and then continuing on to Grand Teton and Yellowstone by car.

If you're riding from Moab into CO, you should take 128 rather than just going North on 191 to I70.  128 follows the CO river and hooks up to I70 a little further East.  It's a fun ride and quite scenic. 
From last week:

DSC_9610_zpsdwpwhznl.jpg

Sorry, Utah != Idaho 
I thought our fearless leader @admin was a local. He probably has some pointers but he'll probably say put knobbies on the FJ and come do some single-track. :)

I did the Sawtooths last year from idaho city over the pass to Sun Valley did not see our fearless leader anywhere.

If you're riding from Moab into CO, you should take 128 rather than just going North on 191 to I70.  128 follows the CO river and hooks up to I70 a little further East.  It's a fun ride and quite scenic. 
From last week:

DSC_9610_zpsdwpwhznl.jpg

Nice pic.
If I have time I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Archived