Buzzing noise past 6K RPM from front/dash area

Steve- You said that you removed the screen, but did you remove the adjusting mechanism?

Because those 2 plastic pieces which "guide" the windscreen as it moves up or down are NEVER fully secured. Check those maybe...

Skip
Yup those little guide bits visibly rattling around is one of the first things I suspected, but it's not them.  I jammed some shop towels around them as a test and the buzz is not coming from them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if you figured this out but I had this for about 4 days then saw my right hand guard lose from an install I did with grip puppies.
May not be it but it sounded like it was coming from right under the headlights even though it was at the throtle till I tightened it.
Joe

• 8 months later...
Here's what I do in this situation, find a quiet road that you can comfortably sustain the RPM where the buzzing starts, and just start grabbing stuff until the buzzing stops. 

That said, like other have said, my right handguard was buzzing a bit too. 

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this??
I didn't!  I've gotten in the habit of wearing ear plugs more often, even for trips where I won't be going over 50mph.  So now I don't really notice it as much - but it's still there. 
I thought for sure I had identified it as the black plastic trim piece on the front of the tank, but I removed that and the buzz was still there.

At this point I think it's something behind the dash.

I had this exact issue and it drove me mad. I located it as the plastic cover to the hand guard vibrating and hitting the handguards. I stopped it by putting a little foam tape between the handguards and the coloured plastic part screwed to it.
Problem completely solved for me.

I had this exact issue and it drove me mad. I located it as the plastic cover to the hand guard vibrating and hitting the handguards. I stopped it by putting a little foam tape between the handguards and the coloured plastic part screwed to it. Problem completely solved for me.
I've got 'barkbuster led' hand guards on mine and still got it >:D  but ear plugs definitely help, thought I'd found when I had everything off to replace the plugs as there's 2 relay boxes on the right-hand side (when sat on the bike) and they have 2 lids on them that give a plasticy type rattle when you tap them so sealed them but still no joy, i'll find it one day ;)  still a great bike.. 

• 2 weeks later...
the headlight adjuster stems??

maybe its the ABS speed sensor making the noise when the tire speed is fast enough the air between the sensor unit and sensor plate on the rim??

maybe the buzzing is a byproduct of or combination of "harmonics"???
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I just realized - I never checked my hand-guards. I mean, I checked them in so far as I made sure all the screws that attach them to the bike are tight, so I ruled them out based on that, but people are saying it's the painted trim piece screwed on the front of the hand-guards and I never checked that!

I'm going to remove just those trim pieces and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had an annoying buzz for months that I couldn't figure out. I removed my hand guards for the summer, I've checked every bolt and tried to touch every panel I could reach while riding in the buzzy range and no luck. Sounded like it was coming from the right side of the instrument panel with my helmet on... drove me nuts!

And then I discovered it was the damn clutch lever. There's just enough vertical play that it buzzes around 5-6k RPM for me. I packed a bunch of grease in the area this morning before the ride to work as a temporary fix and it was sweet silence. I'll have to find a thin nylon washer or something to create a bushing of sorts to fix it for good this weekend.

trey

@trey
I replaced the OEM levers with the aftermarket Chinese from a fleabay that look like a very good quality but I noticed the same vertical play of the clutch lever. I did not ride the bike after the install yet so can't comment on the buzzing. Recalled your post and I think the thin plastic washer might be a good solution. Have you tried it? Did it work for you?

@trey I replaced the OEM levers with the aftermarket Chinese from a fleabay that look like a very good quality but I noticed the same vertical play of the clutch lever. I did not ride the bike after the install yet so can't comment on the buzzing. Recalled your post and I think the thin plastic washer might be a good solution. Have you tried it? Did it work for you?
@aeg I haven't messed with it yet, probably will this weekend when I swap out my rear tire. Now that I know what it is it's a lot less annoying!

trey

• 1 month later...
Holy crap you guys, I think I finally found the source of my rattle!

I was just cleaning my windshield and noticed that if I very lightly tapped on the top of the windshield, I got a momentary rattle somewhere down the dash area.

3 minutes of tapping while holding down various things later - it's the headlight angle adjusters! Just a light tap on the windshield causes the rods to vibrate against their guide bracket a little and it sounds very, very much like my 6KRPM rattle.

I don't really feel like heading out again tonight, but I'm going to try jamming them up with some paper towels as a test tomorrow.

Archived