Essential parts/mods for my FJ-09 (yours too)

Hi guys.
So I'm starting to compile a list of NECESSARY things that should be done to my bike (and possibly yours) to get it ready for spring(can't take it out till the snow melts). This doesn't include little things I'll be doing to accessorize. Just things I feel would be a bare minimum for a long happy season with no major downtime.
 Here's what I have so far...
1) oil pan plug from mazda dealer $6.50+tax http://i.imgur.com/QfqWvuCs.jpg?1 read the thread on this forum ( tech tips/how to's) by GSORIDER for the complete fix so you don't crack your pan. (thanks for that one by the way :)
2)  Aluminum Radiator guard off ebay $56.00 U.S. plus delivery [/url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/121379328980? ( took 10 days)

3) Full slider spool crash combo set from T-Rex ( still trying to find out if we can get pucks With FJ-09 written instead of FZ-09 or MT-09) http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=529
So I have the plug and the rad guard. Emailed T-rex to see if I can get the right text on the pucks before I buy them.
   Please feel free to add anything else you think of that I should have as an essential part and or mod. I get most of my great ideas from the forums :)
P.S. This is only my opinion of what should be essential so....

You're missing the downtime. Check the picture's on the T-Rex link I posted of an FZ that low sided( right side pictures, bottom one). Sliders and spools took all the damage. Pick up your bike and keep riding. You don't have them..... your bikes is down for $$$$.$$ repairs for possibly weeks. Like you say.....Shiite happens.
   Just a suggestion for others anyhow. I'm getting them myself however.

Don't care about a couple of hundred bucks if it means piece of mind. You hit a patch of shiit in a turn and lowside call your insurance and flat bed it to the repair shop. I'll pick up my bike, keep driving and order a new puck. Plus my insurance won't go up.
   Plus not everyone has a spare bike in their garage. And there's millions of people that actually do have protection on their bikes. It's not some idea out of the blue.

Just sayin'

• Premium Member
If I lowside, I deserve the downtime. $$$$$ comes from the insurance company and I continue (health willing) riding one of my other 2 bikes. Other than the ability to maybe ride it home from a wreck, I don't see the financial gain. You've bought the original set for maybe $300.00, then have to replace those again, all of which exceeds my $500 deductible. Not arguing, just looking at this from a numbers standpoint. 
Is it just a mindset that you're expecting to crash and don't want to deal with the insurance company?
But, and that is a big butt, what if you damage something like the frame or swingarm that is not readily apparent that frame sliders might have prevented? Plus you are missing the very cool factor of having sliders, so I will order them as soon as they are ready. I think they will also double as highway pegs as they look pretty long and wide. Can anybody (like pinky on her hubby's bike) with these pegs already installed on an FZ-09 comment on their use as highway pegs?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I put sliders on my FJR when new, actually bought them before the bike was delivered. Saved the left side fairing twice on a tip over and the right side in a rear end crash where I went down on the right side, saved the engine housing but there where scratches. ON the second FJR the sliders did not save the right side upper or lower fairing in a 31mph crash but saved the engine housing. I bought them in case of a tip over and saving getting the fairing scratched up. In crashes they sometimes do more damage, ie if bolted to the frame, they can break the frame especially if at a point where there is a pinch bolt/slot connection. The FJ looks like it has relatively low cost plastics. Low cost meaning under $200 each.

I'm not going to get sliders for my FJ at this time. If I come out of the store and my bike is laying on its side after being bumped over, it will cost me $250 ded.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Plus you are missing the very cool factor of having sliders, so I will order them as soon as they are ready. I think they will also double as highway pegs as they look pretty long and wide. Can anybody (like pinky on her hubby's bike) with these pegs already installed on an FZ-09 comment on their use as highway pegs?

Don't forget to look at Yamaha's sliders.  I thought they looked great. But not good for putting your feet on because they span between the two engine mounts on each side.  There are available a set of 4 sliders where one each at each motor mount point.  But they all seem to be too high for resting the foot. ULEWZ:  Did you use highway pegs on the FJR? 

• Premium Member
I put sliders on my FJR when new, actually bought them before the bike was delivered. Saved the left side fairing twice on a tip over and the right side in a rear end crash where I went down on the right side, saved the engine housing but there where scratches. ON the second FJR the sliders did not save the right side upper or lower fairing in a 31mph crash but saved the engine housing. I bought them in case of a tip over and saving getting the fairing scratched up. In crashes they sometimes do more damage, ie if bolted to the frame, they can break the frame especially if at a point where there is a pinch bolt/slot connection. The FJ looks like it has relatively low cost plastics. Low cost meaning under $200 each. 
I'm not going to get sliders for my FJ at this time. If I come out of the store and my bike is laying on its side after being bumped over, it will cost me $250 ded.
You are forgetting the hassle of trucking it to the dealer, waiting for 6 weeks while they replace parts, and logging on here reading about all the fun we are having while your bike is down. Nothing is only $200, not even on a scooter.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Plus you are missing the very cool factor of having sliders, so I will order them as soon as they are ready. I think they will also double as highway pegs as they look pretty long and wide. Can anybody (like pinky on her hubby's bike) with these pegs already installed on an FZ-09 comment on their use as highway pegs?
Don't forget to look at Yamaha's sliders.  I thought they looked great. But not good for putting your feet on because they span between the two engine mounts on each side.  There are available a set of 4 sliders where one each at each motor mount point.  But they all seem to be too high for resting the foot. ULEWZ:  Did you use highway pegs on the FJR? 

Yes I did and just sold them on the FJR forum. Worked decent for stretching your legs, but not perfect.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Here are the [a href=http://http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d8f87002164cb28066/cowling]prices and pieces on the FJ. Related to Cowlings there isn't an individually piece that cost more than $100. In a tip over, you are not going to damage all of them. While on the FJR you can have a tip over that will damage one item that will cost over $500 today ($400 when it was new in 04) and that was the [a href=http://http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/500451b2f8700209bc7920d2/cowling-2]lower fairing couple that  with the potential of the scatching the upper fairing at $250 and the mirror, etc.   The sliders made good sense.   I'm thinking from experience, that if you crash, you not only wipe out the bike, you also damage the sliders and most likely you aren't riding home.  Just saying.[/a][/a]
Just trying to give another point of view.  If  you like sliders and think they are cool, by all means get them, they are not a waste of money if you fall down slowly or tip over in a parking lot, or some car bumps your bike and it falls over.  Not as big a waste as aftermarket cans that is, but maybe not as good a value as improved suspension. JSES.

• Premium Member
Here are the prices and pieces on the FJ. Related to Cowlings there isn't an individually piece that cost more than $100. In a tip over, you are not going to damage all of them. While on the FJR you can have a tip over that will damage one item that will cost over $500 today ($400 when it was new in 04) and that was the lower fairing couple that  with the potential of the scatching the upper fairing at $250 and the mirror, etc.   The sliders made good sense.   I'm thinking from experience, that if you crash, you not only wipe out the bike, you also damage the sliders and most likely you aren't riding home.  Just saying. Just trying to give another point of view.  If  you like sliders and think they are cool, by all means get them, they are not a waste of money if you fall down slowly or tip over in a parking lot, or some car bumps your bike and it falls over.  Not as big a waste as aftermarket cans that is, but maybe not as good a value as improved suspension. JSES.

This link works gooder. 
link

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hi guys. So I'm starting to compile a list of NECESSARY things that should be done to my bike (and possibly yours) to get it ready for spring(can't take it out till the snow melts). This doesn't include little things I'll be doing to accessorize. Just things I feel would be a bare minimum for a long happy season with no major downtime.
 Here's what I have so far...
1) oil pan plug from mazda dealer
2)  Aluminum Radiator guard off ebay

3) Full slider spool crash combo set from T-Rex
   Please feel free to add anything else you think of that I should have as an essential part and or mod. I get most of my great ideas from the forums :)

Good thing to have if you plan on touring:  Palm rest and a Throttle lock.  Total cost is less than $35.  A hydration system, like a camel back or a bladder you put in your  tank bag.  Electric plug to attach a batter tender or charger and a electrical connection for heated liner and gloves, and these could be the same.   

They worked before I entered them and after trying to edit by copying yours they still don't work????  WTF 

Archived