oil drain plug

Guest hopper

Guest hopper
I've been searching for information about the oil drain plug. Are 2016 models guaranteed to have the drain plug on the side of the pan?

Thanks

Guest hopper
Is there any recall by Yamaha concerning it?

And if not, do you think it's reasonable to expect a dealer to swap the older pan for the newer one as a condition of the buy?  

Hopper- I doubt a dealer will swap that at their or Yamaha's expense. I hear it is pretty easy to swap on your own, provided you buy the new pan and gasket. While there have been a couple of failures that I have seen on-line, doesn't appear to be enough to trigger a recall by Yamaha.

I have a 2015 and did the mod, by shaving & filing the fin away and putting in a flush-mount oil plug. I also added an SWMotoTech skid plate. Didn't like how exposed the oil pan was to rocks. So far, the SWMotoTech plate is my favorite.

• Premium Member
And if not, do you think it's reasonable to expect a dealer to swap the older pan for the newer one as a condition of the buy?  

No. 
There have only been a handful of people report a cracked sump. You are aware of the problem and it is not difficult to avoid situations which would present a risk, such as high kerbs. Just remember the bike is not a Super Tenere or XT660. 

If you are going to ride on rutted roads, the Tracer/FJ is the wrong bike.

Of course, we can all encounter a pothole that is disguised by a puddle but if you are that risk averse then why ride a dangerous motorcycle? I'm more likely to end up busting the bike due to a lycra clad Tour de France wannabe wobbling into my path than from a pothole jumping out at me from behind a puddle. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest hopper

but if you are that risk averse then why ride a dangerous motorcycle?  

Thanks for your wisdom and insight. 

Now let me return the favor by giving you some wisdom and insight of my own: being proactive is not the same as being risk averse.

• Premium Member
but if you are that risk averse then why ride a dangerous motorcycle? 

Thanks for your wisdom and insight. 

Now let me return the favor by giving you some wisdom and insight of my own: being proactive is not the same as being risk averse.

I have corrected the attribution as your post was badly formatted.

Your wisdom is nothing more than an argument over semantics.

As @gotfzi states, you can agree anything into your purchase contract but I would not expect a dealer to cover the cost of this modification as once you are aware of the risk, it is very easy to manage.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived