Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

K-Tech IDS cartridge kit and RAZOR-R shock

Another option on offer: http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/road
Prices indicated are MSRP as of Oct 2016. In accordance with MAP policy, I am offering discounts to forum members via other means*.

IDS fork = $895
free cap wrench, no Paypal fee, and free installation - a $140 value

In a nut shell, the IDS is along the same vein as the Andreani and Ohlins NIX-30 in that it uses a pair of 20mm pistons. All adjustments are made top-side at the cap, and each leg has a primary damping direction.

RAZOR-R = $795 free shipping, no Paypal fee, and free Torrington bearing - a $80 value

Fully adjustable (comp, reb, height, preload) remote-reservoir shock. It's priced even less than the JRi Double which is itself no slouch in the value department. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/180639/Forks-by-Matt/K-Tech/IMG_20161223_175141.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/180639/Forks-by-Matt/K-Tech/new%20rings%20and%20tool.png

* PM for alternate arrangements

Another option on offer: http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/road

RAZOR-R = $795*

The RAZOR-R is fully adjustable (comp, reb, height, preload) remote-reservoir shock. It's priced even less than the JRi Double which is itself no slouch in the value department. 

* round down to closest hundred
The * note implies that the cost of the shock is $700. Is that still valid?

149.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock

yes, but that doesn't include 3% Paypal/CC fee (waived if payment via check/money order) nor shipping ($45!!). Yeah I know, but I can't control what the 3rd party warehouse charges to drop-ship. None of the other brands charge so much.

RAZOR-R = $795*

The RAZOR-R is fully adjustable (comp, reb, height, preload) remote-reservoir shock. It's priced even less than the JRi Double which is itself no slouch in the value department. 

* round down to closest hundred
149.jpg

Can we get the spring and hose in different colors?

The shock is $700 before you add the $50 drop ship charge and 3% paypal fee...so the shock is just under $800...see posting made by pattonme less than 24hrs ago before you posted...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

The shock is $700 before you add the $50 drop ship charge and 3% paypal fee...so the shock is just under $800...see posting made by pattonme less than 24hrs ago before you posted...
Send him a check and it all comes to $745, or with his current promotion (tier1 -$10)....$735.  That's a high quality twin clicker shock (compression, rebound) and FJ-09 specific mounting hardware for the remote reservior for $735 delivered.....hard to beat! If you Google that shock you'll find AMA racers who are preferring it over the comparable Ohlins unit at > $1000.
I've been working with Matt over the past 24hrs researching all the offerings, and will be making this purchase today.

11_24_2016_8_23_42_AM.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Can we get the spring and hose in different colors?

You can have any color you like just as long as it's red. :)

Unlike the pic posted above, there are 2 sets of preload collars so you don't have to fight with the tray/tank to change that setting.
It's possible the shipping can come down if I can put a multi-item order together.

Here's a more representative picture of the K-Tech from an FZ07. The one for the 09 is no different really.
Note the 2 sets of preload collars, the reservoir bracket and that gorgeous red color. :)

ktech1.jpg

Hi-

I'm new to the FJ-09 forum. I recently had the Razor-R shock installed on my 2015 FJ-09 by a local shop (Catalyst Reaction) in the SF bay area . The shock goes for $800 from Orient Express Racing - w/ free shipping. If you can get it for less  $ then go for it. 

Would recommend a good shop that is good at suspension work. It's a quite tricky to install . Learned this after talking to the mechanic who did my work. 

The upgrade to the Razor-R is worth the $. My next step is to change out the fork springs to 9.0 Nm ( about 15 % stiffer than stock) & installing a K-Tech Piston Kit. It's less $ than the K-tech Cartridge kit & does help with improving Compression & Damping. Piston kit w/springs is $350 from Orient Express Racing. Must get a good shop to do the install - estimate $350 for labor. The Cartridge kit is by far the BEST way to go but cost for parts alone is $900. If you are an aggressive rider who wants a higher degree of adjustment on your forks then go for the Cartridge kit.

I only have 1 issue the K-tech rear shock. I can't seem to dial in the pre-load for my weight - 215 lbs. I've tightened it up & my Rider Sag is 52mm. I've read that you want to be between 30-40mm. Turning the silver adjust ring  on the shock is a slow & frustrating process.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

My method of measurement: 1. Bike up on center stand (unloaded) - Take measurement in MM (currently 507mm) 2. Drop bike & sit on it with all my gear (loaded) . Usually up against a wall so I can balance myself & have full weight on the shock. 2nd person takes the measurement (currently 455 mm) .  
Minus MM number 2 from number 1 = 52mm

Anyone having the same problem trying to dial in Rider Sag on Razor - R shock ? 

Thanks - Mike

Thank you @mtkacheff for the details. But if you keep plugging Orient on my vendor board... :)
The shock shipping cost issue can hopefully be rectified - I'm looking into it.

You didn't say what rate spring is on your shock. What is silk-screened on the side of the coil? Your methodology is good enough for the time-being but at some point you need both the static and rider sag values.

If folks want the K-Tech Piston Kit then I'm happy to provide it. But between Stotec's piston+spring kit, and my 'Basic' fork option it's been covered. Also I won't charge $350 to do the install. More like $85 (modulo shipping and fluids).

Turning the silver adjust ring  on the shock is a slow & frustrating process.
The preload adjustment rings are at the forward end of the shock? The end that is up inside the bike? So it would be difficult to quickly change it for two-up riding? 
Edit: The picture that Matt posted of the FZ07 shock has the adjustment rings on the opposite end of the shock when compared to the photo that I copied from K Techs website. Which end of the shock is the preload adjuster on? There appear to be two contradictory photos.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock

@ mtkacheff... I see I flaw in your suspension measurements... I never take suspension measurements using a center stand to get my " unloaded " measurement...my " unloaded" measurement is with both wheels on the ground with second person just holding the bike upright...then I get on the bike in full gear to get "loaded" measurements...The difference between the measurement with Both bike tires on the ground with no rider and the measurement with both tires on ground with rider is how I determine " rider sag"..I suspect your measurement Will be close to the 30-40mm range...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

There are *2* sets of preload rings. The silver ones at the clevis end and the black ones at the eyelet (buried up front under the battery box). You copied a generic image that is not accurate except in the abstract.

ktech1.jpg

This photo of the Razor -R shock is with the silver rings near the bottom of the image is exactly how mine is installed. It's opposite of the K-Tech website image. Silver ring near end of shock is the "lock" ring. Other silver ring against the RED main spring is the used to adjust preload. You lock in the 2nd ring after adjustment is mad. If I'm doing the preload adjustment using the silver rings is WRONG then I'm lost. The basic paperwork I got with the shock notes you should use the silver rings for preload adjustment.

I have no idea how to adjust the "BLACK" ones tucked deep under the seat. Access is very limited on the "BLACK" adjuster. Also not sure if this the correct spot to adjust for Sag.

Still don't like the Rider Sag numbers I'm getting. Going to check with Catalyst Reaction for more info