Securing your FJ-09

gdinunzio

All,

I recently was woken up in the middle of the night to find two thieves trying to make off with my FJ-09.  They only got about 10 feet away when I interrupted them and thankfully the damage to the bike was minimal.  I would like to increase my sense of security so i am looking for a little advice.

Presently, i park the bike in front of my house in NYC, right under my front window. The bike is covered and locked.  
Although, I also have an anchor I installed, it was NOT chained when the robbery was attempted.  My bad.  I will be locking it from now on.  
I have a Kryptonite chain with Mul-T-lock pad lock

I also have purchased a disc lock (Abus Granit Sledg 77 Web Yellow Disc Lock 13/45mm) for the rear tire. 

My question is:  
Is there any way to chain it thru the chassis?
I don't see an easy way.  So instead i have chained up the front wheel, which is not ideal.
Does anyone have another way to do it with minimal work?

Thanks
GL

• Premium Member
There is a space on the left (gear shift) side, above the footrest bracket that many chains will pass through. One of those multi-strand, saw proof cables will fit in a few more places.

Other things to consider: illumination. PIR controlled lights. Use a bike cover - puts off opportunists apparently. Xena alarmed disk lock might wake you up. Save up for a property with a garage (my solution)

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Garage is the best solution, but short of that, use obscure it and use something with an alarm. Especially since it is right outside your window and you would definitely hear it when it goes off.

Short version is that if your bike is targeted by professionals, you will lose it. The goal is to keep the opportunistic thieves from stopping at your bike, and moving on to something easier. Covers are cheap, and discourage the amateurs.

Hope this helps

do disc locks fit the rear? i only had a quick look, but my current one only seems to fit the front

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
What about motion alarm systems? That would scare them off I would think?
Although you could have cut the theives hands off and stuck the hands on a couple of poles in front of the bike as a warning to other theives. Nothing like going back to the dark ages on their asses... Just sayin'... ;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Mostly the professional thieves will just lift the bike and put it in a truck. So unless you have it secured to something that doesn't move, or you have an alarm that makes a lot of noise and you can get outside quickly, they will have it in the back of a truck, and be driving away by the time anyone challenges them. Even the biggest cables can be cut in less than 15 seconds. And two guys can pick up your bike and put it on a lift that gets it up and into the back of the truck in less than a minute.

If it is someone opportunistically looking, they are easier to thwart with alarms, cables, and such. They will just move along to an unprotected or easier bike to target

• Premium Member
Reminds me of a reddit thread where the reformed bike thief was answering questions.  Don't click if you don't want to get sucked in...the guy discusses some various countermeasures and their effectiveness, or lack thereof.  Drives home the point others have made that you can definitely discourage the amateurs, but the pros will likely find a way to get it done if they really want to.

But if I recall correctly, adding some sort of motion sensor to your cover, to alert when the cover is disturbed, might be a helpful addition in your case.  (plus the higher quality the better on the cables and disc locks).

I'm assuming it was pretty dark out, and they thought they were stealing a sport bike.

My advice is to just put a nice flood light over the bike where it can plainly be seen. No bike thief would steal an FJ-09 if they were able to get a clear look at it.

On a more serious note, glad you were able to stop it from happening with minimal damages.

"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
Another thing that you can do if it's on a concrete pad or driveway, that will even work inside a garage is to get a good motorcycle wheel chock and bolt it down into the concrete. Rear wheel is best, and lock it down to the wheel chock so the motorcycle cannot be lifted or moved.

Archived