Shorter Handlebar Risers & Different Handlebars Wanted

• Premium Member
I've searched our forum and scoured the internet looking for shorter bar risers.  I also am still am not happy with the replacement fat bars tried by other members which still for me have too much overall height and rise and not enough rearward sweep and control section length.

I've found some shorter bar risers which have a 10mm mounting holes (i.e, they are internally threaded on the bottom to receive a 10 mm bolt) but none with 10mm  studs like OEM.  Whereas either mounting method will work, I'd think nuts rather than bolts are easier to install up there with the tight, blindish access.  Also, the top clamp holes on the risers I've seen are just  a couple mm larger than the head of their socket head cap bolts rather than the holes being 4+ mm larger like OEM riser cap holes, and the top clamp bolts must be 8 mm so I can install my RAM 1" round rubber ball mount with the RAM provided longer bolt.

Anyone have any leads for shorter risers and other bars??

Thanks 

Any of the Renthal bars designed for motocross bikes will fit. Might be worth looking at those, but most of them are bent similarly to the stock FZ 09 bars I think. (Maybe those are the Fatbars you mentioned above though...)

Out of curiosity, did you try simply moving your bars forward by 10mm by rotating the factory mounts 180 degrees?
That would cause you to lean forward a bit more I think...

I don't know the name of the company, but lots of FJR guys add risers. Might be worth reaching out to them.

Good luck with your search.
Skip

• Premium Member
I looked at ALL the Renthal and Protaper bars, including the MX bars to no avail. Flipped the OEM risers forward first day. I've looked at the FJR and Super T forums, plus am investigating the bar on the KTM Super Duke GT among others...

Thanks though

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
Did you ever find a bar? I'm also looking for a sportier bar, but all of the aftermarket products I've seen are geared towards higher/farther back for more upright. I'd like a little more forward lean and a sportier upper body position.

• Premium Member
I almost went with the FZ-09, but I really wanted the abs and traction control on the FJ-09. I also like getting off of the pavement on occasion for very light off pavement riding like dirt roads, state parks, etc... I don't think the FZ would handle that as well as the FJ either.

I'll try flipping the risers and rolling the bars forward first. Then look at finding a way to safely make the bars less wide. I was hoping for an easy aftermarket solution.

• Supporting Member
I've searched our forum and scoured the internet looking for shorter bar risers.  I also am still am not happy with the replacement fat bars tried by other members which still for me have too much overall height and rise and not enough rearward sweep and control section length. 

When looking at replacement bars, the straight control section length is important.  Usually (not always) dirt bars have a slightly wider mid section and shorter control section, since the controls on a dirt bike are minimal. Most manufacturers list bar dimensions on their websites.  Measure each side of your current bars to determine the needed control section and compare each companies offerings. 
I went with Rizoma, MA005 bend, and they fit me nicely.  Rizoma offers several different options with various heights and pull back.
They offer MA001, MA005, MA008, MA010 and a straighter drag bar MA015. and possibly others.
Google search: "Rizoma Bar Dimensions".

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
You could take the stock risers to a machine shop and have them shorten them.
The FZ-09 risers will fit fine, are about 1.5" shorter with a bit less fore/aft depth depending which way they are oriented, and can be had for less than $45 used...

• Premium Member

When looking at replacement bars, the straight control section length is important.  Usually (not always) dirt bars have a slightly wider mid section and shorter control section, since the controls on a dirt bike are minimal. Most manufacturers list bar dimensions on their websites.  Measure each side of your current bars to determine the needed control section and compare each companies offerings. 
I went with Rizoma, MA005 bend, and they fit me nicely.  Rizoma offers several different options with various heights and pull back.
They offer MA001, MA005, MA008, MA010 and a straighter drag bar MA015. and possibly others.
Google search: "Rizoma Bar Dimensions".

I looked at the Rizoma bars early on too.  From what I can surmise from their website and others, the MA005 & MA008 bars have the following dimensions in millimeters (except for "E" sweep which Rizoma apparently expresses in degrees): 
                           A      B     C     D     E     F
MA005               720   115   30  140  27°   ?
MA008               720   110   50  140  25°   ?
FJ-09 OEM*        790   110   60  170  55  230
TH-08 Low          798   74    53  200  58  223  

Rizoma does not show a bar for the "Tracer 900 ABS" but for the MT-09 they list the MA008 and MA009. On both the MA005 & MA008, dimension A looks narrow by quite a bit but you stated “they fit me nicely” but were not dimensions A and D short? Also, what about dimensions E and F? The MA008 dimension C is less than MA005 but when B & C are added together it is an overall effective height 15 mm taller than MA005, the latter of which has much needed 2 degrees more sweep (dimension E). I'd really like to know both bars dimensions E & F.

Again, I'm ready to install Outlaw Racing TH-08 Low which has the above dimensions. 

*As provided by forum member "2ballde"

• Supporting Member
I looked at the Rizoma bars early on too.  From what I can surmise from their website and others, the MA005 & MA008 bars have the following dimensions in millimeters (except for "E" sweep which Rizoma apparently expresses in degrees): 
                           A      B     C     D     E     F
MA005               720   115   30  140  27°   ?
MA008               720   110   50  140  25°   ?
FJ-09 OEM*        790   110   60  170  55  230
TH-08 Low          798   74    53  200  58  223  

Rizoma does not show a bar for the "Tracer 900 ABS" but for the MT-09 they list the MA008 and MA009. On both the MA005 & MA008, dimension A looks narrow by quite a bit but you stated “they fit me nicely” but were not dimensions A and D short? Also, what about dimensions E and F? The MA008 dimension C is less than MA005 but when B & C are added together it is an overall effective height 15 mm taller than MA005, the latter of which has much needed 2 degrees more sweep (dimension E). I'd really like to know both bars dimensions E & F.

Again, I'm ready to install Outlaw Racing TH-08 Low which has the above dimensions. 

*As provided by forum member "2ballde"

First off, I swapped out the OEM bars because for me, they were way too wide and straight.  I had used Rizoma MA005 on my previous FZ1 and loved them, so I bought another pair for my FJ. 
Depending on what your end goal is, the MA008 is taller, but the MA005 has slightly more pull back.  I opted for more pullback.
There is plenty of room on the straight control section for all of the OEM controls, I dont have any extra switches or gadgets.  I prefer narrower bars and on my FZ1 I even cut an additional 1" off each side of the MA005, I am considering the same for my FJ as there is still plenty of straight control section left over. 
If you have a ton of accessories on your bars, then obviously my configuration wont work for you.  Like I said earlier, measure your controls to determine how wide of a straight section YOU need.
I'm not sure what all of the dimensions are that you listed but "A" is overall width, "C" is the clamp area width, "D" is overall height, and "E" is degree of pull back.  If you have more questions, please ask.

• Premium Member
I recently ordered a MA008. Shortly after I was told via email that there are new models now. MA005 is replaced by MA006, and MA008 is replaced by MA009. On both models, A is extended to 740, and D is reduced to 135. This is to allow more room for controls on the bar. Also, E is reduced to 23 degrees for both models. So, I apparently have a 009 on the way.

• Supporting Member
I recently ordered a MA008. Shortly after I was told via email that there are new models now. MA005 is replaced by MA006, and MA008 is replaced by MA009. On both models, A is extended to 740, and D is reduced to 135. This is to allow more room for controls on the bar. Also, E is reduced to 23 degrees for both models. So, I apparently have a 009 on the way.
Good info. Thanks.   I guess if you have a lot of extra stuff clamped to the control section of the bars, the newest models will give you an extra 3/4" on each side over the previous model. I don't like that they reduced the rearward sweep though, I'm glad I bought mine when I did.

• Premium Member
Good info. Thanks.   I guess if you have a lot of extra stuff clamped to the control section of the bars, the newest models will give you an extra 3/4" on each side over the previous model. I don't like that they reduced the rearward sweep though, I'm glad I bought mine when I did.

I don't like the reduced sweep, either. The sweep was the whole reason I bought the bars. I have T-rex arms.  

Archived