Shorter Handlebar Risers & Different Handlebars Wanted

• Supporting Member
Good info. Thanks.   I guess if you have a lot of extra stuff clamped to the control section of the bars, the newest models will give you an extra 3/4" on each side over the previous model. I don't like that they reduced the rearward sweep though, I'm glad I bought mine when I did.

I don't like the reduced sweep, either. The sweep was the whole reason I bought the bars. I have T-rex arms.
FWIW, I bought my MA005 about 2 weeks ago from Motostrano.  If the 009 doesn't have enough sweep for you you could contact them to see if the 005 is still in stock.  On the drop-down option, the 30mm rise is the MA005. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I just fitted the MA009. The height is about 3/4" shorter than stock at the bar end, and the length is about 3/4" shorter on each end. There's enough room on each end to cut off another 3/4" if I wanted, for a total of 1.5" shorter on each end. The 23 degree sweep makes the drawback about 1" at bar end. Just from sitting on the bike, it feels much more comfortable. The wrist angle feels much more natural.

• Supporting Member
I just fitted the MA009. The height is about 3/4" shorter than stock at the bar end, and the length is about 3/4" shorter on each end. There's enough room on each end to cut off another 3/4" if I wanted, for a total of 1.5" shorter on each end. The 23 degree sweep makes the drawback about 1" at bar end. Just from sitting on the bike, it feels much more comfortable. The wrist angle feels much more natural.
Glad to hear they are working for you, I love the feel of the Rizoma's. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 months later...
Been thinking about ordering some Rizomas... Do they come threaded for bar ends? Do they have the little indentations for control placement? Do the stock cables work? Any modifications needed?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Been thinking about ordering some Rizomas... Do they come threaded for bar ends? Do they have the little indentations for control placement? Do the stock cables work? Any modifications needed?
Sorry for the delay. I've been too busy to get on here lately. They are not threaded for bar ends, but they came with inserts that will accommodate pretty much whatever bar end you want. You screw your bar end into the rubber-covered insert that matches your thread pattern, and it expands, making a tight fit.
There are no indentations for the controls. I just marked where they needed to be and drilled them.
I believe that the stock cables would work just fine. I have a longer clutch cable and have re-routed the others because I have the 2" Rox risers. But I can say that none of my cables are tighter now with the Rizoma bar. In fact, the throttle cables have more slack, and the clutch cable is almost too long now. While the bar does bring the controls back a bit, they are also shorter and more narrow, so that makes up for the cable slack you'd lose with the drawback. And there's still room to cut off another 3/4" from each end if you wanted, creating even more slack.
Besides drilling the indentions for the controls, there are no other mods needed. Having put some miles on them now, I can say that I'm really happy with them. They are much more comfortable.

• 4 months later...
FJ-09 OEM*        790   110   60  170  55  230

*As provided by forum member "2ballde"

Can anybody provide independent confirmation on these OEM figures? These are handy numbers and I'm comparing them to ProTaper Adventure bars (and possibly the 'Adventure High' bars), but the "D" measurement is far enough off (109 vs. 170, more than 50% difference) that I feel the need to double check. Thanks!

problem with going to shorter riser blocks is gonna drop the handlebars farther into the "hole" and really limit turn radius... stock risers and bars leave you about a finger thick gap till it hits the black plastic around the "hole"
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Can anybody provide independent confirmation on these OEM figures? These are handy numbers and I'm comparing them to ProTaper Adventure bars (and possibly the 'Adventure High' bars), but the "D" measurement is far enough off (109 vs. 170, more than 50% difference) that I feel the need to double check. Thanks!

.... or I could measure my own bars for "independent confirmation". I found the straight, clamping area of the OEM bars to be about 7 inches, or very close to the 170mm figure. I then measured the outer dimension of the riser clamps and got a little over 5 inches, or about 125-130mm, which is significantly more than the 109mm measurement of the ProTaper Adventure bar, which makes me nervous, but I see that austinmation uses these bars, so maybe ProTaper's measurements are just a little conservative or something ... 
Anyways, apologies to 2and3cylinders for jacking the thread - I know I'm taking it in the opposite direction, but this was the only handlebar discussion.  :D

Archived