Just Me and My Bike

thruster8999

Tomorrows the big day. Off to Utah to visit there wonderfull national parks.

This is my second time trying to write this because its hard to use the phone and post pics but I will be an expert by the time I am done with this trip.

People tell me I am crazy going on a ride alone and I just look at them as they are the crazy ones. Why not? We only have one life why not enjoy it. I am no risk taker by all means but I have always had a traveling bug. 
I guess it just runs in the family. My uncle is a world traveler and has been all over the world with his Ural by himself. He has produced 6 movies of his travels and I envy him for doing it. (If you want to see them its called Burro has 3 Wheels, not the greatest film guality but reminds me of the movie the Endless Summer).

Me? I have traveled a bit myself but mostly in the US. When you live with your grandparents till your 12 you get to see things most kids dream of seeing. But one place we never visited was Utah except Salt Lake City. 
So this is my chance to explore on my own time with no agenda.

I will try to post every day but make no promises. Please forgive me if my spelling is off and my puncation is all wrong. My educational years were from middle school thru high school in Florida. I guess I was to busy surfing and chasing girls.

Packin up tonight and leavin first thing in the morning.  
img][img]S7jb08m.jpg
[/img]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I don't think your crazy, and I wish I had the time to do exactly what you are doing. I'm looking forward to sharing your trip, safe travels.....

Love those wheel stripes. Where did you get them, and are they reflective?

I'm in the Boise area, and it's been dang hot up here in the high intermountain west.

The only things I can recommend is go see Bear Lake, and Logan, and the "East Side" of the Wasatch Front. It's the non-city side of the mountains v/s riding up from Provo to Brigham City, UT. The mountains up there are pretty empty of humans, Bear Lake is a crystal blue color, like being in the Bahamas.

I don't know where your family in Idaho is, but if it's over by the I-15 side, it's a nice ride and back roads to go up over into Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Driggs and Swan Valley, ID. Amazing country up there, and it should not be as hot.

But it's going to be dang hot down in Moab, Bryce, Arches, Zion and anywhere near St. George.

I remember being down there in the summer one year, we brought tents, but it was so hot, we just rolled the sleeping bag out on the picnic table top, layed on top, and tried to sleep. About 4am, it finally cooled off, and I got a few hours until the sun came up about 6am, and it was hot again by 9am.

One thing I can say is watch out for deer, elk and other critters. Cows are no fun, neither are horses or Moose.

Thanks for the advice. I did almost hit a deer this morning, scared the sh*t out of me. After that I made sure a car or truck was in front. My family is in Pocatello and if I have time Jackson hole is where I would stop at. 

I left about 6 this morning out of Vancouver Wa on SR14. 
The morning air and the raising sun made it the best send off ever. 

4oUOVc5.jpg

If you make it to Jackson, there are some great eateries in Driggs ID which is just 10 miles north on 33 of Victor ID. You ride along the west side of the Tetons with some fabulous views if the weather allows. That's if you go over the pass to enter Jackson on US 22. The nicer ride would be going through Swan Valley and up Hoback Canyon on US 26 entering Jackson from the south. Make sure you ride either area well after sunrise and before sunset or you'll encounter four legged danger. Food is good in Jackson but pricey and the service can be less then ideal unless you get lucky.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Good on ya! Travelling solo does not mean you'll be lonely. Folks will always approach a solo traveller more than if you were riding with a buddy or in a group! Have had some of my best tours solo....... and decision making is waaaaaaay easier!

Tomorrows the big day. Off to Utah to visit there wonderfull national parks.

This is my second time trying to write this because its hard to use the phone and post pics but I will be an expert by the time I am done with this trip.

People tell me I am crazy going on a ride alone and I just look at them as they are the crazy ones. Why not? We only have one life why not enjoy it. I am no risk taker by all means but I have always had a traveling bug. 
I guess it just runs in the family. My uncle is a world traveler and has been all over the world with his Ural by himself. He has produced 6 movies of his travels and I envy him for doing it. (If you want to see them its called Burro has 3 Wheels, not the greatest film guality but reminds me of the movie the Endless Summer).

Me? I have traveled a bit myself but mostly in the US. When you live with your grandparents till your 12 you get to see things most kids dream of seeing. But one place we never visited was Utah except Salt Lake City. 
So this is my chance to explore on my own time with no agenda.

I will try to post every day but make no promises. Please forgive me if my spelling is off and my puncation is all wrong. My educational years were from middle school thru high school in Florida. I guess I was to busy surfing and chasing girls.

Packin up tonight and leavin first thing in the morning.  

Good luck man! I'm a little jealous but as you know I'll be doing almost the same ride through Utah in September. 
As for traveling alone... I get the same comments from just about everyone I mention my trips to. Many years ago I did my first solo trip (well me and the dog) up in Death Valley. It wasn't planned but my brother cancelled on me at the last minute so I went without him. At first it seemed so strange being alone in the middle of nowhere but I ended up really enjoying it and I've done so many solo trips since then. During these trips there is a lot of time alone but you also run into people just about everywhere you go and almost everyone I've met along the way has been very nice.

Like you said we only have this one life and I don't want it to end with me sitting on the couch. 

I look forward to seeing your updates along the way!

• Premium Member
It is perfectly ok to go solo!
I have done many trips solo and with others. Things certainly seem easier when rolling solo. Enjoy! Utah is a beautiful place.
I hope you have hwy's 12, 24 and 95 on your list - the roads are super scenic and fun.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Nice! Enjoy the trip and the alone-ness. :)
Yes!   As a confirmed and long-time solo traveller, alone-ness is not to be confused with loneliness. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived