What do you do when grips wear out on heated grips

I have the factory heated grips. It appears that the heating element is integrated into the grip.

So, what happens when the grip itself wears out - as they do? Do I have to put out another $300 for new grips? Or is there a way to just replace the rubber part?

I was wondering too. I have a feeling it's several years away, due to the fact that these heated grips are a pretty hard compound, but still a good question.

I'm thinking we'll need to replace the full units, or you'll have to put something like grip puppies on, that go over existing grips.

Have your grips worn out already, if so, after how many miles? I'm willing to bet that the dealership answer to your question is "yes, you can order a new set of OEM heated grips though us". However, here are a couple cost-effective solutions that high-mileage Beemer guys have done:

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?17826-FAQ-BMW-Heated-Grip-Rubber-Replacement

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-replacing-worn-out-heated-grips.257529/

I have the factory heated grips. It appears that the heating element is integrated into the grip. 
So, what happens when the grip itself wears out - as they do? Do I have to put out another $300 for new grips? Or is there a way to just replace the rubber part?

I doubt you have to buy the whole kit again, mine had a seperate part number inside the box for the grips. I kept it for future reference somewhere...

What about preemptively using something like grip puppies.. Although anything with foam will most likely reduce the effectiveness of the heated grips.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Have your grips worn out already, if so, after how many miles? I'm willing to bet that the dealership answer to your question is "yes, you can order a new set of OEM heated grips though us". However, here are a couple cost-effective solutions that high-mileage Beemer guys have done: 
http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?17826-FAQ-BMW-Heated-Grip-Rubber-Replacement

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-replacing-worn-out-heated-grips.257529/
No, they aren't worn thankfully. Just thinking ahead a bit. 

Thanks for the links - that may work when the time comes. 

• Premium Member
What about preemptively using something like grip puppies.. Although anything with foam will most likely reduce the effectiveness of the heated grips.
take a few more seconds for the heat to get to your hands but otherwise my Grip Puppies have no negative effect - yes, they will stop wear of the heated grip but for me, they increase the circumference making the grip more comfortable
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
Easy, and super cheap solution:

Buy some shrink tubing the size of the grips. Slip them over the grips. Apply hair drier. Ride.

Remove and replace the shrink tubing once you've worn through it.

• 4 months later...

So I decided to go this route. While searching around for grip puppies I came upon a thread where someone suggested using Re-Grip. Took a look at the product, like what I saw, and ended up ordering them. Got two of them for about $20 - medium size. 

They came in a couple of days ago. I pretrimmed them before installing, which was very easy, then installed - which also turned out to be easy. They add a little bulk to the grips, but not as much as grip puppies. I actually really like the thicker grips - feels more substantial. Also, the surface is nice and grippy (duh, they are made for gripping) and they are nice and tight around the original grips - no slipping at all. Heat from the grip heaters does take longer to get to my hand, but still feels plenty warm.

In the end I am completely satisfied with this product and enthusiastically recommend it. 

What about using the heating elements they use on snowmobiles and wiring them up the same as OEM grips? I believe they're the same ohmage. You can then use normal grips over the top. Even use a thin cork mat on the clutch side to insulate.

I use the puppies over my heated grips (not oem, but Oxford brand) and they still get too hot sometimes for me. So they aren't an issue for me.

BMW heated grips are constructed differently then Yamaha's.  Won't work.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Don't wear out your grips. Don't leave them exposed to sunlight. Clean now and then. I put 143K over 9 years on a FJR and the grips are still good. I don't use a death grip ever. Mosly just rest my hands on the grips. I do notice some people actually wear their grips down so you can't see the tread. Not a good way to ride. Just kidding about not wearing out your grips, but the sun should do more damage than your hands. Now regarding heated grips: The Yamaha heated grips are appearing to develop harder rubber than the grips on my FJR which also has heated grips of a different kind/make. Grip puppies may help in the off season when the sun is out.  I'm at 38k now with the OEM heated grips, put on shortly after purchase.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived