So Cal day Ride to somewhere......

gwader

I've put 6000 miles on this bike up and down the 405. During that time I know I've seen at least 5 FJ bros out there. Lets hook up a ride to somewhere that isn't on fire. I'm in Torrance.

Or maybe just breakfast and bike bullshiiiiitting.

Later

Greg

I'm near Irvine where I-5 and 405 intersect, and just to put out a suggestion, frequently ride over Ortega Highway. From Ortega there are two ways to Fallbrook, and can ride to Mount Palamar and Jullian for all day ride. A fairly easy back roads way, and a adventure bike style paved road called South Main Divide, with lots of pot holes, gravel, sand, street tires are OK and really fun for experienced old dirt bikers like myself. Sunday's are usually best for me.

Sounds like a plan. I'm out this weekend, but I should be good for most Sundays. I work in Irvine and love to run over to the beach on lunch. If you have time for that, PM me. Otherwise Lets plan a weekend ride!.

It is difficult for me to make commitments to far out due to work. Sometimes I get flooded with work at the last minute and have to work weekends. Let's plan to meet at Mission Motorsports 9 am Sunday, Aug 7, and plan for ride over back country roads off Ortega, maybe to Fallbrook. I can post up by Friday night if I will be able to make it on Sunday.

I got your PM. Anyone else welcome to join in. WARNING, these are adventure bike paved roads single lane through the hills/mountains, but lots of rocks, sand, potholes, oncoming traffic my be hikers, jeeps, whatever. Old dirt bikers like myself love these roads, beginning street riders are generally horrified and need to go slow and be careful. If there is any water on the rode, coast over the water slowly, straight, and do not touch brakes or throttle or try to turn. Green moss grows under the water and is literally as slick as ice.

South Main Divide is a paved road with some dirt on it, some potholes, mostly tight, easily passable, pretty hot this time of year. Probably takes an hour before you get back on regular roads.
john

Rider skill and good suspension are more important than tires. Most of the road is paved, but there are some gravel and hard pack dirt/sand sections, but nothing so soft you need knobby tires to get through. Do make sure you air up tire pressure to the high side.

There are different sections of road with different degrees of difficulty for beginning riders. Beginning riders can slow down, or stop and turn around whenever they are no longer comfortable. If beginning riders show up, we can go on the easier road sections, I have no problem stopping, waiting and checking to see if they want to keep going or not.

It will probably be too hot to go all the way to Fallbrook or Julian, but we can turn around when it starts to get hot and head back to Hell's Kitchen or Lookout for lunch.

Over the years, I have ridden these roads on a street legal dirt bike, Honda XR650R, Harley Sportster, Ducati Multistrada, but my FJ09 is by far the most fun. On the other hand, some beginning riders later swore they will never ride with me again. It all depends on rider skill and properly set up suspension.

I'm a total early bird, and I live in Torrance. I've got to ride 40 mile just meet you guys. Lets avoid the heat, bad drivers and LA bull shiiit. Earlier than 9 am is better for me. I'm close 180,000 miles on the road, not dirt. I can deal will grave and bumpy stuff as long as its not off road.

Keep the shinny side up!! ;)

How early is early, meet up at 8:30 and leave by 9, or do you want to leave Mission Motorsports by 8? Any earlier than that, I might end up heading for bed instead of to the bike. We can save a little time by meeting at the Shell gas station, just West and next to the 5 on Ortega.

I am not sure, but I think Hell's Kitchen or Lookout do not open until 10 am. It seems you and I are the only ones interested at this time. We will stay on paved roads, but there still will be some sand, gravel, potholes. We can also stay within 30 minute ride back to Ortega, so you can head home any time you want.

Archived