rear brake issue...

• Premium Member
No I have not experienced this and do not recall anyone else reporting a problem.

I use the rear brake a lot and I was surprised how little the pads were worn at the 12,000 mile service in late June, just before I went to France.

I suspect your theory about a binding piston is correct and I would be disappointed that after premature wear, the so called mechanic did not rule this out before changing the OE pads.

Have you tried to establish if the rear brake is binding? With the bike on the centre stand and the gearbox in neutral, does the rear wheel rotate freely? Does the brake release immediately when you release the foot pedal?

For the rear brake to bind at a relatively low mileage (do you say mileage or kilometerage or use a simile?) there would need to be a problem with the seals. Either faulty, incorrectly assembled or damaged. Another cause could be a faulty master cylinder but unlikely at such a low mileage.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

No I have not experienced this and do not recall anyone else reporting a problem. 
I use the rear brake a lot and I was surprised how little the pads were worn at the 12,000 mile service in late June, just before I went to France.

I suspect your theory about a binding piston is correct and I would be disappointed that after premature wear, the so called mechanic did not rule this out before changing the OE pads.

Have you tried to establish if the rear brake is binding? With the bike on the centre stand and the gearbox in neutral, does the rear wheel rotate freely? Does the brake release immediately when you release the foot pedal?

For the rear brake to bind at a relatively low mileage (do you say mileage or kilometerage or use a simile?) there would need to be a problem with the seals. Either faulty, incorrectly assembled or damaged. Another cause could be a faulty master cylinder but unlikely at such a low mileage.
Thanks, Wessie.   [em]Yes[/em] - the issue is new to me too, and like you I tend to use the back brake quite a bit, especially entering corners to settle the rear end down a little. Rotating the rear wheel gives rise to a minimal/ soft 'scuffing' sound, which I take to be the pads lightly touching the disc, but the wheel rotates freely, though not as easily as I'd have thought was normal.   I can see a tiny movement inwards of the outer piston-end - it's hard to measure as I cannot find my feeler-gauge set, but I'd guess maybe one mm at most.   Brake releases immediately foot is off pedal.
I think I'll take it back to the dealer just for a 'look-see', but if any work is to be done I'll go to another dealership, some 70km away, but I have more faith in his workshop, from earlier experiences (besides which, it's nice riding weather at present!).  
I still have the OE discarded pads (the dealer had swapped them over before I got to them) and I'll take those along too.  
BTW - although we are fully metric 'mileage' is still commonly used in this context...
Thanks again...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

If the chain was over tight from new, then I would guess the rear wheel was also out of true which would but excessive wear on the pads. You should be able to rotate the wheel freely, and spinning it should stop at a different place each time. If not, I would recommend you check the alignment of the rear wheel with a straight edge or piece of string to make sure it is correct now.

Simple test lower the brake pedal and see if your problem goes away. With rubber tipped on brake pedals it is harder to tell if you are slightly resting on the pedal. My own brother swore blind he wasn't riding the brakes on his vtr1000 after toasting a set in under 3000k's but after I dropped the pedal he started getting 20k+k's out of them...

Simple test lower the brake pedal and see if your problem goes away. With rubber tipped on brake pedals it is harder to tell if you are slightly resting on the pedal. My own brother swore blind he wasn't riding the brakes on his vtr1000 after toasting a set in under 3000k's but after I dropped the pedal he started getting 20k+k's out of them...
Interesting observation. Last weekend while hammering the twisteez, I caught myself just barely touching the brake pedal when I had no intention of doing so, and thought -I need to lower the pedal just a hair as I think I've been unconsciously 'riding' the pedal.
Keep Asheville weird!

Archived