CBOW /Royster Review

Hey Gang

First off, I would like to thank Albert at Motomachines for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns many months ago...

So, here we are... On to the Hepco and Becker CBOW Royster bags for the FJ09. I received these bags back before I even had the bike, so they have been sitting around collecting dust and then the crappy spring we had but I digress...

Shipping was fast and Albert (MM) was great at keeping me up to date, informed etc. Packing was good, and everything arrived together and secure. Sorry, no pics, but imagine a safely secured box with bike goods inside.

I recently used these bags (two weeks ago) for a trip to the East Coast. 5 kms short of 4000kms round trip from Hamilton, to P.E.I. staying in Canada. So, I do have some proper time in with the bike and the bags.

I had A LOT of pics, but my photo uploader that I use has decided to eat some of them, so I will try to get whatever is wanted asap. IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THEN PHOTBUCKET? It's eating all of the pictures ARRGH!

SO... Install was a breeze. Undo your two accessory handle bolts, retain spacer, use the H&B bolt and away you go. it really is that simple. No bending, forcing or any yelling was done. You COULD, if you wanted the bags closer in, to remove the side AND top rear handle, but, it isn't really worth it. The CBOW system feels secure and does NOT look out of place without the luggage. The locks for the luggage held on, and getting the key in and out in the tight space (between bike and bag) wasn't that bad at all. The bags themselves are easy to carry off the bike, but wouldn't want to transport a far distance. They are not a soft bag, nor are they hard (Mind out of the gutter!) They have some flex to them, but not annoyingly so.

c4a42e62-9c4d-47c8-938d-bbcf870f0de7_zpshsyfel8m.jpg

IMG_20160719_085012_zpstzodcfoh.jpg

Because we were camping along the way, I used my Kriega 30+20l and I picked up a Cortech 12l tank bag.

The Royster bags claim 22l of storage and I have no real way to quantify, but I can say that each side holds a 12 pack of beer just fine. I kept my clothes in the Kriega and used the sides for camping gear. A 3 season sleeping bag, and sandals on left side, and a Eureka tent, fly, pegs and a pair of Chucks on the right side.

IMG_20160721_111629_zpsgsgfx3zm.jpg

ba0a45e6-6730-4945-8058-cb911c54cfe8_zpsv8ghdaqw.jpg

We did get wet and it was a good time to see if they actually are waterproof or just resistant.

IMG_20160730_111440_zpsgwfpff57.jpg

Grab the tops, roll down on itself and snap together...

IMG_20160730_111505_zpsrpjtn9g6.jpg

I will say that through the expected rain where everything was done nice and tight, it did NOT leak. During a UNexpected night shower, where it was NOT folded "properly", it did NOT leak, but always roll and snap just to be sure.

IMG_20160730_111630_zpske1qjj8m.jpg

The zippers worked as the should without issue. The sleeping bag was rammed into the left side as it would not fit in its compression bag so I had to hold the Royster closed with the leg while doing the zippers. The zippers are "lockable" but I personally don't see the need. We didn't night ride at all so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the hi-vis panels. Note: the side pockets on the luggage, although handy cannot really be used if the saddle bag is full.

IMG_20160730_111717_zpsjuhljy6s.jpg

So, a quick review with a total lack of pictures, to be rectified shortly, about some good luggage options out there.

The CBOW / ROYSTERS are a good combo at a great price. A little on the small size, but they are waterproof, and you don't notice them on the bike at all at speed.

Any detailed pics wanted, feel free to ask and I will do my best, usually within a week to get them up.

Cheers!

• Premium Member
Thanks for this hammer. I have been looking for a reviewer who uses Kriega bags with the C-Bow system, as that's how I will be rolling during tours.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

No problem Rusty. Just make sure to turn your Kriega's sideways to get more area on your seat to move around on. And...When Kriega's aren't attached, keep an eye on the grey "luggage straps". I just hooked mine around the hooked end of the accessory rail, and I thought they were on tight. But once the luggage was removed, I was able to slide the 4 grey attachment straps off of the bike.
Cheers!

Archived