I've never owned a chain drive bike before

nsmiller

WD-40 is mainly Kerosene, with some added ingredients so it works just as good as Kerosene for cleaning, with a little benefit for lubing, but not ment to be a chain lube for high speed chains as found on motorcycles. I am using on my current chain, Liquid Wrench Chain Lube. I didn't like the Chain Wax, others do but I didn't think it gave me the chain life I expected.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I've never been a fan of WD40, although I can't tell you why. If I had nothing else I might use it in a pinch, but I typically use Maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Guard Crystal Clear Chain Lube (now that's a mouth full)

It seems to do a good job, and and doesn't make a big mess

I've never been a fan of WD40, although I can't tell you why. If I had nothing else I might use it in a pinch, but I typically use Maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Guard Crystal Clear Chain Lube (now that's a mouth full) 
It seems to do a good job, and and doesn't make a big mess
David:  What do you use to clean the chain? 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Additionally, when you spray on the lube, spray it on the top of the lower chain run.  (i.e. the "inside" of the chain).  That will cause the centrifugal force to push the lube through the chain before getting flung off.
And a great little tool for spraying the lube of your choice (I still have a few cans of the old formula DuPont Teflon Multilube which I consider the best) is the Grease Ninja. http://www.greaseninja.com/ Put mine in a freezer bag along with a rag to wipe the chain down with, and you're good to go...lube my chain every 1000 miles whether it needs it or not.
What size grease ninja is appropriate for the FJ-09? The GN428/520 or the GN525/530?

And a great little tool for spraying the lube of your choice (I still have a few cans of the old formula DuPont Teflon Multilube which I consider the best) is the Grease Ninja. http://www.greaseninja.com/ Put mine in a freezer bag along with a rag to wipe the chain down with, and you're good to go...lube my chain every 1000 miles whether it needs it or not.
What size grease ninja is appropriate for the FJ-09? The GN428/520 or the GN525/530?
GN525/530. Refers to chain size & FJ has a 525. 

Archived