What bike did you have previously, and why did you change?

Guest reeseyboy

1st bike, 2003 Suzuki SV650S kept from 2003 until 2008
2nd bike, 1988 Yamaha FZR400, bought in 2008, raced in 2009-2010, crashed in 2010, sold in 2015.
3rd bike, 2008 Yamaha WR250X, bought in 2013, sold back to dealership when I bought my 2016 FJ09 2 months ago :)

So with the FJ I'm reversing the downsizing trend in engine size and comfort.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am replacing a can-am spyder. Still have it,so I can ride with my wife. In 2005 I was paralyzed while racing motorcycles.  I have been riding the spyder but I couldn't take it anymore so I am building a fj to ride. Before I got hurt I had 31 motorcycle in my life.

• Premium Member
My last bike was a Triumph TT600 that I owned 2000-2008. I had a seven year break in service.

The TT was truly a wonderful motorcycle, but I knew I needed something more friendly for touring and commuting. I was looking at the new Versys 1000 but chose the FJ because it's so much lighter (and it was cheaper). The FJ's suspension and brakes aren't as nice as the TT, but the FJ is only 20lbs heavier and quite a bit roomier. Not to mention the power.

Since the FJ is my first bike ever my old one is pictured below.

My 1hr 15 min commute, 21 miles, turned into a 45 minute side road adventure through the back roads of Allentown and Upper Freehold NJ.

Now to convince my other half to get a 2x2 bicycle rack for my motorcycle. So I will be able to do both...

1278f0be8657b11ad74cb7d6efcc9e57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1995 Honda VFR 750, I wanted storage and an upright riding position. 
2002 Suzuki GSXR600, Track Bike stolen at Willow Springs
2004 Yamaha R1, my insurance couldn't handle all the fun I was having.
2002 Honda VFR 800, still not sure why I got rid of it.
2002 Honda XR650L, first bike, still have it.

• Premium Member
Since the FJ is my first bike ever my old one is pictured below.  

My 1hr 15 min commute, 21 miles, turned into a 45 minute side road adventure through the back roads of Allentown and Upper Freehold NJ.

Now to convince my other half to get a 2x2 bicycle rack for my motorcycle. So I will be able to do both...

1278f0be8657b11ad74cb7d6efcc9e57.jpg

A Thule tray will fit on the flat section of the grab handles. Haven't tried anything more than fit checking it in the garage but I really want to do a pedal morning/motor afternoon trip.

My 2015 FJ replaced a 2011 Versys 650. Same wheelbase, weight and ergos with almost twice the hp and 20 more lb/ft of torque. Versys was nice but certainly vibrated more. Prior to Versys there was 20 bikes over 45 years both dirt and street. By far the most fun was my 2001 Suzuki SV650N. Had that one til 2013. Put over 30k all over the NW US. Age and bad knees forced me off it. The FJ fits like a glove. It is by far the best bike I've ever owned.

The FJ-09 directly replaced a Gen 1 'Busa, which had replaced a Duc ST4S...

Just for fun, pics of all three in the same spot over the years (intersection of 92/50 at Gunnison Lake in CO):

DSCN0095_zps8mbdxqkz.jpg

DSCN0821_zpsjndr9ayg.jpg

DSC_9371_zpskfnzvkas.jpg

For a long time, I was in search of the 'perfect' SPORT-touring bike... tried VFR (not enough powah), ST1100 (fantastic, but heavy), etc. Thought the ST4S was going to be the bike... but it wasn't. Felt like it had a hinge in the frame compared to Big 4 sportbikes, and I couldn't ever get the suspension sorted, even after re-springing. It was a PITA to work on, and there was always something needing work. The Hayabusa, ended up being the bike for me for a long time. Out of the box, the stock suspension was worlds better than the high end parts on the Duc, and the motor... well, it's a 'Busa. I farkled my way to near perfection with lower pegs, higher bars and Givi bags. And loved it for 6 years. Eventually, the riding position started to get to me as I closer to 50 than 40... The announcement of the BMW S1000XR got me looking at bikes again... looked like the perfect combination of riding position, power and handling. But it was $20k with bags, and not available when I heard about Yamaha's new triple touring bike... One test ride and it was all over! :D

• Premium Member
Current: 2015 FJ-09, red, with SHAD SH-48 top and SH-36 sides

Previous: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, had trouble getting a top case to stay on

Being with my Triumph was like dating a beautiful, sporty girl with a British accent (sorry @wessie) and a gorgeous voice, but we never quite clicked. Maybe she was too sensitive for me, or too precise, or something--we never felt 100% at ease.

The Yamaha is bigger, stronger, easier to ride (ahem), and ultimately more comfortable. Suits me better. Her voice is a little gravely and she may not be quite as graceful, but it's a much better match. Better choice for the wide range of riding I do, from city to urban highway/commute to the occasional trip with luggage, occasional 2-up, and occasional fun ride. The Triumph was okay on the highway once I put a little windscreen on, but still not great, and luggage and 2-up were never going to be great.

Sometimes I miss Triumph's beautiful voice. Then I twist my wrist and FJ roars at me and the past recedes into the distance...

'82 Yamaha Virago and then two '98 Valkyries. Loved them all. Next up will be a shiny new Goldwing, but gotta keep saving my pennies for that. Will probably keep both the FJ and the Goldwing.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

I've been riding large sport touring bikes for over 20 years, 12 years on a couple of Kawasaki Concours 1000cc bikes and 11 years on Yamaha FJR 1300's.  I'm 63 years old, weigh 135 pounds and 5'4" tall.  I decided I was getting tired of pushing around 650 pound land yachts.  (Absolutely loved my FJR's and had no problem riding them but didn't enjoy trying to negotiate uneven pavement parking and wrestling to move it around at a stop.)  
Dropping 180 pounds by moving to the FJ-09 has been sheer joy.  FJ-09 has plenty of power and is like riding a fun toy instead of a fun beast.

Loving the FJ-09

Bill Hamilton

Years ago I sold my F800GS figuring I could buy a street bike and a dirt bike for the same price, and have owned a series of bikes in the meantime trying to find a bunch of scalpels instead of being content with a Swiss Army Knife. The FJ arrived this weekend, picking up after a BMW G650X Challenge (a hoot with the SM wheels), FJR1300, Harley XR1200, and is currently sharing the garage with my R1200GS Adventure Sidecar rig (not going anywhere) and a Honda Valkyrie (still TBD what I'm going to do with it). Even though it's only been a few days, the bike is fantastic, and I feel only after trying out everything else do I fully appreciate the versatility of this bike. Looking forward to putting some miles on the bike and memories in my mind over the next few years.

Had a very forgettable Honda dream 250. Upgraded to a well warn yet ridiculously fun rz350 (rd350lc in UK). Bought a new Yamaha trx850 which felt like the supersport 600s of the day with more legroom (am 6 4).

Being closer to 50 than 40 I can no longer do the sports bike crouch, wanted a mid range sports tourer, and have had amazing run on Yamaha's; rode one, felt right at home so bought one.

I had an '11 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom. I had been eyeing the Wee since I started riding in 2004 or so, and finally bought a used one in '14 after a ~5 year riding hiatus. I like the idea of an adventure bike but the reality is that nowadays about 99% of my riding is on pavement and the compromises of versatility are no longer worth it.

Happened to be poking around at a dealership the day before a Yamaha demo ride so I signed myself up. Initial train of thought went along the lines of "meh, feels kinda blocky standing still", to "interesting footpeg placement", then "Oh, HELL yeah!" when able to get on the throttle. Once moving, the ergos felt just right.

Test rode a few other bikes to make sure I wasn't being rash, then test-rode the FJ again at a different demo and bought one on the spot. After ~5500 km I'm still super happy with it.

Archived