What bike did you have previously, and why did you change?

Guest reeseyboy

Previous was a 09' Honda CBR1000RR

Sold it to get a more all around bike in hopes to be riding a lot more often. The CBR was an amazing powerhouse of a bike for it's purpose of high speed cornering, but to try to do any other types of riding it was horrible. I almost always ride with my wife, so getting a bike with a more comfy back seat was a must as well.

Got the FJ-09 because it seems like a bike that won't bore me for cornering and will be comfy enough to cruise at low speeds and light enough to be agile around town.

NjUaY0I.jpg
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The immediate bike before buying the FJ-09 was a Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE.  Bought on a lark, it is a beautiful bike, I found it too heavy with insufficient maneuverability for the type of riding I do around home (city and country roads) with no real luggage capability (for touring).  The FJ-09 turned out to be perfect for all my riding.

IMG_20150628_142616345_zpslifb9kgc.jpg

I still own a Yamaha FZ8, lightly customized with graphite body bits, a flyscreen and bar-end mirrors from a Benelli Streetfighter.  While I've got soft bags for it, the FZ8 just isn't comfortable enough for longer tours.  But it's a hoot around town.

IMG_20150618_164224_zpsrt8ym4lf.jpg

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Premium Member
I've had lots of bikes, but the one that was replaced by the FJ was a 2012 BMW K1600GT. Great for long distance touring and 2-up. It was even pretty decent in the twisties, but my wife doesn't/will not ride and after having to right the fully loaded beast after a parking lot tip-over by myself, I decided that something lighter was called for. When the FJ came into view, I knew it was the one.

K16GT%201.jpg

My FJ replaced a BMW R1200GS. I've had 30 or so bikes over the last 40 years. About half road and half off road.
The GS (and the 1150GS before it) were my main commute and touring bikes. My wife's no longer interested in two up touring and I wanted something smaller.

• Premium Member
1986 Yamaha Fazer 750cc
I was the third owner and it had just over 80,000kms on it.
(Previous owner had done a custom orange/cherry red paint job to it)

Upgraded after 4 years of owning this as my first bike. Wanted something more modern and comfortable for longer distances.

4724134.jpg  

My previous bike was a Honda 2003 Blackbird (painted Pearl White). Loved it and it really suited the long distance riding I enjoy. But after a wrist injury a couple of years ago (not bike related), I had trouble with the weight of the bird so needed something lighter and a little more nimble....so the FJ / MT09 Tracer came into shed

PB060029.jpg

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Most recent was a 2006 Buell Ulysses. Before that was a Vstrom 1000 and before that was a TDM850 and before that was a Honda Hawk GT. The pattern would seem to be comfortable riding position but light and sporty. Excess power not necessary. FJ seems to be the best overall combination of my needs so far. Not perfect, but very good and enjoyable. Now if I can get back to caning it after my CCT is replaced on Monday....

Grom.

But to be fair I only had that for about 7mths. Would have kept it if I could afford two bikes.

My previous long termer was KtM 990SM with full akro pipes. 7 yrs. 5 yrs problem free 2 very expensive yrs!!

• Premium Member
My last bike was a Street Triple R. I liked it, but one morning it wouldn't start. One month later the dealer had tried everything they knew and all of Triumph's suggestions to no avail, I sold it back to the dealer, I'm loving the FJ-09.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Sold a 2009 KLR650 fully loaded with farkles with about 45k on the clock. It was a great bike and I miss it at times but started doing less and less dirt and more street. So the FJ is a huge leap forward in so many areas and is almost the perfect mount for me and the style of riding. I "had" to upgrade some essentials like exhaust to an Akro Ti, a heated Corbin, heated grips, LED signals and Custom LED brake light, Yamaha bags, tank bag, PDM60, and some other stuff. I'd have to say it is almost perfect for me now........

Archived