What bike did you have previously, and why did you change?

Guest reeseyboy

• Premium Member
Maybe I'll get flamed but that's cool. Have an FJR and an R1200GS alongside my FJ. Love all three of my bikes, but the one thing that makes me REALLY love the FJ is that FREEKIN motor! If it wasn't for that sweet triple, IMHO, it would just be another bike. She's a keeper just for that alone.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Maybe I'll get flamed but that's cool. Have an FJR and an R1200GS alongside my FJ. Love all three of my bikes, but the one thing that makes me REALLY love the FJ is that FREEKIN motor! If it wasn't for that sweet triple, IMHO, it would just be another bike. She's a keeper just for that alone.

Flamed for what, are we only allowed to have one bike or something?
BLB

Due to lyme arthritis in both knees, I needed to downsize from a Hondaline faired, hard bagged 1984 V65 Sabre (that I purchased new) and a 1991 ST1100. I rode a Honda NT700ABS for a couple years. That bike did everything competently but it was more like a tool to me than a bike, so I traded it in on the FJ-09. Damn good trade.

Guest autobiker
My last bike was an optioned-out '14 R1200GS. It's an awesome bike but somehow I never bonded with it. I had it for a year, took it on a month-long trip and decided that I wasn't interested in riding a 600lb beast, much less taking it off road. So I sold the GS, bought the FJ and pocketed the difference.

Before the GS, I had a '12 CBR1000RR which was IMHO the best all-mechanical (no ABS, no TC, no power modes) sport bike I've ever ridden. Prior to that I've had a variety of sport and sport-touring bikes.

The FJ is giving me 90% of the fun of a CBR and 90% of the comfort of a GS for less than the price of either. Sure, it needs some work (handlebars, windscreen, suspensions, luggage) but it's still phenomenal bang for my buck.

R6. Didn't use it enough, there are not many twisty roads around here, and most of my riding was long trips.
Faster and better in the corners than the '09, and a horny sound.

BikeSarah%2520084.jpg

My favorite bike was a 1994 YZF600RG, that had a wicked induction roar and was fun on the Black Spur, this colour, this one’s not mine, I have no digital photos of it:

yamaha-yzf-600rg-Resized320x240.jpg

A Thule tray will fit on the flat section of the grab handles. Haven't tried anything more than fit checking it in the garage but I really want to do a pedal morning/motor afternoon trip.

I will have to try your suggestion. Thank you!

First bike was a 1986 Honda VT500C Shadow, great starter bike setup like a standard. Sold it because of fickle carb issues (pulled and rebuilt 3 times to try and solve the issues) was a bit small for my long legs. Longer rides and my hips would begin to cramp and spasm. Great bike, just not a long-term keeper for me.

2013_06_15_15_13_48.jpg

Second bike was a buy from my dad, a 2007 Honda VTX1300C. Again a nice bike, but not a fit for me. Plenty of power and distance comfort, but too low to the ground for good cornering (I love the twist 2-lanes!) and the forward controls just makes it feel like you're driving a La-Z-Boy recliner.

IMG_20140822_095446.jpg

Was watching a dealer that had a 2015 FJ09 in stock with 0-miles for about 4-months, nobody was even interested in it. Was able to trade the VTX for what it was worth and buy the FJ for $200 over wholesale just to get it off the floor. Now I just need some hard bags, a new saddle, ...

1470941123182_2747300443_df4ebbba.jpg

I still have it my KTM990r with 22k miles, Love my Fj09 just did a 1300 mile ride in three days red with 7k
DSCN5239.jpg
2002 FZ1, I put 80,000 miles on. Loved that bike great all around bike 128 rwhp.
6_19_12_230.jpg
1989 Vmax candy apple red, but had to stop for gas every 75 miles. fun bike to pick on sport bikes scary fast, put 20k+ on it.
1989_Yamaha.jpg
1999 R1 Blue 142 rwhp fast and confidence inspiring but hurt me for days after a long trip put 26k miles on it.
1988 GSXR1100 Blue my true love I put 50k mile on her before she met her end a ford focus killed her on impact DOA with a boom! not mine but the same for the most part
gsxr1100_1988.jpg

Hey everyone, new to the site and this is my first post...I just bought a 2016 black FJ-09; I pick it up on Thursday!! My previous bike, and first was a 2008 Suzuki GS500. I bought it about 4 years ago and put almost 29,000km on it. It was a great bike and I never had any issues with it. I specifically picked the GS for my first bike hoping to get a new bike within a couple of years, now that is about to happen. Can't wait for Thursday to pick up my new bike. I picked the FJ because I think it is going to suit the type of riding I typically do and would like to start doing some longer tours/trips.

0f7103ec6d059c479a8cc9ec8dfa484e.jpg

Archived