Rockies Ride and Deer-Crash

redfjniner

We planned a ride in the Rockies, from Pagosa Springs Co to Jasper Alberta.  Left Portland, OR, on Sunday the 24th of July and rode to Emmett, Idaho.  Day 2 took us to Montpelier, Idaho by way of Stanley, and day 3 to Grand Junction, CO where we sat in on a Jazz Jam at Charlie Dwellington's.  We arrived on day 4 in Pagosa Springs, passed the time talking to the Worlds fastest quick draw artist 2008.  Day 5 took us to Glenwood Springs, with a picnic on the bluff above the Black Canyon at Pioneer Point, and day 6 to Rawlins, Wy with one of the most beautiful Interstate streaches on the planet going east from Glenwood Springs on I-70.  Day 7 got us to Buffalo, WY and a nice visit at the Sinks Canyon.  Day 8 had us up the Chief Joseph Hwy and down the Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge.  Day 9 is when it happened.  A little bad luck that turned out to be really good luck.  It took place like this:

So I am in Montana riding North out of Red Lodge,  on my way to Columbus, but eventually to Kalispell, MT, early in the morning, 7 ish, and a deer running at high speed comes up out of a swale and darts across the road into the side of me. This is the second time a deer has tee boned me in Montana. The first one in Lolo about noon, hit my FJR in the side/nose of the bike. I stayed up on that one, but this time the deer put me down on the pavement. Luckily I landed on the top of the motorcycle and the deer landed on me. After sliding 100-150 feet the deer slid off and I continued to slide another 150 feet into a road sign/reflector post. When the bike hit the gravel, it flicked me off and I went head over heel landing and sliding into the post with the bike following me and slaming into my side and then ending up partially on top of me. At 75mph, you would think the outcome would be bad and maybe even deadly, but it wasn't and I only got a few bruises and sore muscles. I laid there under the bike until my riding partners had time to unmount and come to my aid. Bill Flannery, Dean Roberts, Meylan Thoresen, Tee Wan, Ron Clarno and Les Hedquist out of Red Lodge with a trailer. It only took about 5 minutes after the event before the Sheriff and Paramedics to arrive on the scene because the driver of the pick up behind me called 911 as I was sliding down the road. In just minutes I knew I wasn't hurt badly and I realized that I was very lucky. I was smiling and cheerful thereafter. Sliding on top of the bike saved my bacon. Those Higdonian cages and FJR saddle bags allowed me to slide out or from being caught under the bike.  My new nickname is Deer Magnet, I seem to pull them onto the road from the side and they try to stick to the side of the bike. I never see them. I miss the ones I see and keep my distance so they don't fall in the magnetic field. Pics at the scene, and here I am waiting for my riding buddies to park their bikes:

4728155.jpg

Since one of the guys can't ride anymore, we let him tag along in his Honda S2000 and I hitched a ride with him for the rest of the ride.  We went on and made Kalispell that afternoon and had a good dinner, tosting that I wasn't  hurt.  Day 10 got us to Canmore, Alberta.  After a full day in the Canadian Rockies we put in at Jasper.  Day 12 we made it to Lillooet, BC on some really interesting roads (for Canada).  We are now down to 4 people as others had to depart this geat ride.  Day 13 ended in Port Angeles and 14 had us down the 101 to Portland.  

Now I have to go back to Red Lodge and pick up my broken FJ-09.  This ride was just over 5,000 miles of two lane roads, mostly, and a geat time.  My bike will only show 2,800 more miles if I can get the gauges to work  again, and  if not the fist 38,000 or so will not show up at all. (New Bike)

Edit:  Two month later a deer hit me on the left side of my FJR1300 in the NE corner of WA.  at 7:30 am.  I hardly felt it but the deer destroyed all the plastic on that side of the bike, plus the nose plastic, as well as tearing off the saddlebag and destroying the real tail plastic.  I was not hurt at all. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
We planned a ride in the Rockies, from Pagosa Springs Co to Jasper Alberta.  Left Portland, OR, on Sunday the 24th of July and rode to Emmett, Idaho.  Day 2 took us to Montpelier, Idaho by way of Stanley, and day 3 to Grand Junction, CO where we sat in on a Jazz Jam at Charlie Dwellington's.  We arrived on day 4 in Pagosa Springs, passed the time talking to the Worlds fastest quick draw artist 2008.  Day 5 took us to Glenwood Springs, with a picnic on the bluff above the Black Canyon at Pioneer Point, and day 6 to Rawlins, Wy with one of the most beautiful Interstate streaches on the planet going east from Glenwood Springs on I-70.  Day 7 got us to Buffalo, WY and a nice visit at the Sinks Canyon.  Day 8 had us up the Chief Joseph Hwy and down the Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge.  Day 9 is when it happened.  A little bad luck that turned out to be really good luck.  It took place like this: 
So I am in Montana riding North out of Red Lodge,  on my way to Columbus, but eventually to Kalispell, MT, early in the morning, 7 ish, and a deer running at high speed comes up out of a swale and darts across the road into the side of me. This is the second time a deer has tee boned me in Montana. The first one in Lolo about noon, hit my FJR in the side/nose of the bike. I stayed up on that one, but this time the deer put me down on the pavement. Luckily I landed on the top of the motorcycle and the deer landed on me. After sliding 100-150 feet the deer slid off and I continued to slide another 150 feet into a road sign/reflector post. When the bike hit the gravel, it flicked me off and I went head over heel landing and sliding into the post with the bike following me and slaming into my side and then ending up partially on top of me. At 75mph, you would think the outcome would be bad and maybe even deadly, but it wasn't and I only got a few bruises and sore muscles. I laid there under the bike until my riding partners had time to unmount and come to my aid. Bill Flannery, Dean Roberts, Meylan Thoresen, Tee Wan, Ron Clarno and Les Hedquist out of Red Lodge with a trailer. It only took about 5 minutes after the event before the Sheriff and Paramedics to arrive on the scene because the driver of the pick up behind me called 911 as I was sliding down the road. In just minutes I knew I wasn't hurt badly and I realized that I was very lucky. I was smiling and cheerful thereafter. Sliding on top of the bike saved my bacon. Those Higdonian cages and FJR saddle bags allowed me to slide out or from being caught under the bike.  My new nickname is Deer Magnet, I seem to pull them onto the road from the side and they try to stick to the side of the bike. I never see them. I miss the ones I see and keep my distance so they don't fall in the magnetic field. Pics at the scene, and here I am waiting for my riding buddies to park their bikes:

Since one of the guys can't ride anymore, we let him tag along in his Honda S2000 and I hitched a ride with him for the rest of the ride.  We went on and made Kalispell that afternoon and had a good dinner, tosting that I wasn't  hurt.  Day 10 got us to Canmore, Alberta.  After a full day in the Canadian Rockies we put in at Jasper.  Day 12 we made it to Lillooet, BC on some really interesting roads (for Canada).  We are now down to 4 people as others had to depart this geat ride.  Day 13 ended in Port Angeles and 14 had us down the 101 to Portland.  

Now I have to go back to Red Lodge and pick up my broken FJ-09.  This ride was just over 5,000 miles of two lane roads, mostly, and a geat time.  My bike will only show 2,800 more miles if I can get the gauges to work  again, and  if not the fist 38,000 or so will not show up at all. (New Bike)
Not trying to pile on or anything like that, but friends over in Arkansas that ride swear by these deer alerters. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00514C31Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When I did my Great Divide Ride in 2005, and my Ride to the Arctic Circle in 2012 deer avoidance was at the top of my list, and I only had one close call. Wish I had known about these back then, would have eased my mind a bit....or I would have been more relaxed at impact....LOL.

Glad you're OK. Looks like you had good gear on. That post is in a delicate place.
Did the deer get away ?
Deer broke it's neck, most likely at impact.  Post actually hit me in the right thigh and slid the 4-5" to the crotch.  I saw it coming and anticipated great pain, but there wasn't any.  That picture looks staged, but it isn't, and infact the bike was a little more on top of me.  The guys started to pull it off, and I yelled at them to take pictures first.  You know, without pictures it didn't happen.

• Premium Member
Glad you are ok! I hit Bambi once with my foot. Could barely walk for a few months. Almost blacked out when I hit it. Very scary.
Hope the bike isn't in too bad a shape.

Cheers!
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Glad you are ok! I hit Bambi once with my foot. Could barely walk for a few months. Almost blacked out when I hit it. Very scary. Hope the bike isn't in too bad a shape.

Cheers!
My lower leg  really swelled up today.  My hip, knee and ankle all hurt as well as my lower leg.  There may be more to that impact than I felt for the first week.  I now have blood settling in my foot with no visible bruising above.  I may go to the doctor?????

• Premium Member
Glad you are ok! I hit Bambi once with my foot. Could barely walk for a few months. Almost blacked out when I hit it. Very scary. Hope the bike isn't in too bad a shape.

Cheers!
My lower leg  really swelled up today.  My hip, knee and ankle all hurt as well as my lower leg.  There may be more to that impact than I felt for the first week.  I now have blood settling in my foot with no visible bruising above.  I may go to the doctor?????
I think you should change that to I am going to the doctor tomorrow.  Better safe than sorry.Heal fast!  Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

First, glad to hear you are okay.
Second, go see the DR. Hate to hear you passed from a clot breaking up, and getting caught in your noggin.

My semi-professional opinion is the H. Cage did a great job! but your bike is most likely still going to be a total loss. Not because it can't be fixed, but it's cheaper to just replace it than try and replace the damaged or scratched parts.

Third, that route you picked was awesome! I have lived and worked in this part of the world for about 20 years now, and love the road between Cody and Red Lodge. Try the route up to the same "Y" in the road, but instead of riding to Red Lodge, go West, and into Yellowstone that way. Amazing ride. Got caught in a snow storm and had to stay in Cooke City for the night. Woke up to about 3 feet of snow and it was bare when I started the trip, and I gave up about 1 foot into the storm. (Was on worn out all season tires, and after the second near slide off into the dark canyon, said no more today.)

Hope you heal up, and next time around, shoot me a note, I'd love to dodge deer with you guys anytime! :)

• Premium Member
Major bummer. Not how anyone likes to end a ride! If it makes you feel any better, I'll be hunting deer in the Fall. Venison belongs on plates with potatoes and gravy, not on roads!

I had one jump out into the forks of my ninja 250 while I was riding about 60. Went over the bars and down the hill. Broke my wrist and the bike cartwheeled down and the tank hit my heel, Embedding my steel toe boot in the asphalt. Bad time, bike was 6 days off the showroom. Glad you were ok and at least got to see then end of your trip. Sounds like a great ride!

Soo glad that you're mostly ok, that could have ended up far worse than it did, definitely go get checked out, might be just some really deep muscle bruising but rather be safe than sorry.   I was messing around being stupid sliding around on a gravel/dirt road about a month ago and high-sided,  thought I sprained my wrist and wrecked the right side of my bike(thankfully mostly fairing pieces only and top box), unfortunately turns out I had pretty bad fracture and this is the result, can't wait to get the bike fixed up and get back to riding once I'm all healed up, and hopefully I'll learn from my stupidity.

So the bike is totally unfixable then? Most important is your body is in one piece!
2b201813-068c-4c06-b504-e6bb54b1db95.jpg

Cheers!
Is your leg any better now?

Archived