Dzell LED handguard lights

BBB

I'm probably having a brainfart, but I wanted to ask about the wiring for these. These are the things I already know or have done:

[ul type=disc][*]I have read all the previous posts, that come up on search[*]I have read the instructions from Dzell[*]I can install the hardware so no help needed there[*]I'm in the UK so my indicators are just that, not running lights as well[*]I have found and identifed the OEM connectors for lights under the screen[*]The kit included some synchronisation wires with shrink-wrapped circuitry within[/ul]

I want to have these as running lights, so they come on with the ignition. I also want them to flash in time with the indicators when turning, then revert to running lights. I already know this is probably an MOT fail.

Question 1: Can I join the corresponding wires from each LED to each other so I only need to plug into the OEM light connector once?

Question 2: How do you join the LED wires to the OEM connectors? Some people have posted about just inserting the wires but I can't see how to do that.

Question 3: If I connect to the OEM connectors, surely this just gives me running lights and not the flashing part?

Question 4: Can I bypass Q2 and Q3 and simply connect the LED wires directly to the synchronisation wires and then to the indicators? If I did this, would they work as running lights?

Final question: The synch wiring has three wires on one side and two on the other. Is this because it is designed for North American wiring where you use the indicators as running lights too? If so, what do I do on this side of the pond?

In short, help!??!

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
When you say instructions from Dzell, did you mean these?  http://www.dzell.net/manual/led-manual.html
At the very bottom of the page is a diagram that explains how to wire up the turn signals with the sync module.  Lights only have two wires, so if you're feeding turn indicator and running (12v) signals, you need the module to sort that out.

Q1 - Don't see why you couldn't wire together after the turn signal module, but I'm not an electrical engineer so just assuming this works...easy to test though, just twist the wires together and touching the other sides to a 12v power source and see what happens

Q2 - Someone tapped into OEMs on this thread (http://fj-09.org/thread/805/knuckleguard-light-kit-fj-handguards?page=3) and posted a pic but I personally chose to use positaps to tap the wire on the bike side of the oem connector

Q3 - Not sure where yamaha chose to implement the change to eliminate running on your UK version.  My US three-wire connector fed (from the bike) Black for ground, Red for running, Green for turn/flashers.  If your indicator connector has those three in, but only two out, then you still have all you need right there.  If you only have two there for hot flasher and ground, then you need to find another power source for the running feature, which may have to be up underneath the windshield (see dzell instructions again).  

Q4 - huh?
Final - see diagram at bottom of dzell instructions again

Q3 - Not sure where yamaha chose to implement the change to eliminate running on your UK version.  My US three-wire connector fed (from the bike) Black for ground, Red for running, Green for turn/flashers.  If your indicator connector has those three in, but only two out, then you still have all you need right there.  If you only have two there for hot flasher and ground, then you need to find another power source for the running feature, which may have to be up underneath the windshield (see dzell instructions again).  
Thanks for the replies so far. Washufiddyfo, I'll look at the indicator connections tomorrow, but strongly suspect I only have 2 wires to the indicator as we don't have them on as running lights. I may have to use the windshield connector for constant on (running) as you suggested, and also use the wiring for the indicators to get the flash signal. PITA to have to use both connections.

Just checked and only have the black and green wires to my indicators, no red for running. Just ordered some 2-way MT 090 connectors to pull the constant signal from the under windshield connectors and will have to wait until they arrive.

Half way there now! Got one side to work. 

My MT 090 connectors arrived, but didn't fit the ones on the bike due to slightly different housing shapes. However I used the crimps and seals that came with them to attach new wires into the empty connector that was already on the bike, so I can just unplug at a future date without having damaged any wiring. I took 12V and earth from the spare MT 09 connector under the windshield and routed the wires to the right hand side of the fairing. I then soldered these onto the electronics module supplied with the kit and shrink wrapped the joints.

I soldered a new wire onto the green cable coming from the indicator and then soldered this to the yellow cable of the electronics module. And it all works! Constant on when the bike is switched on, then it flashes in time when the indicator is switched on.

Other side and photos tomorrow.

Archived