clutch basket noise at idle and low rpm

any of you guys experiencing louder and louder clutch baskets?  it reminds me of the old v-strom, where it sounded like the clutch basket was going to consume itself, possibly opening up a wormhole into another dimension.

and i don't have buckaroo bonzai's phone number anymore.

sitting at idle with the clutch released, it sounds like there's a ton of hamsters eating croutons in my clutch basket.  as soon as i pull the clutch in, it goes away completely.

same with slow speed, low rpms...between 2-3k, it makes the entire chasis feel like it's got an angle grinder being taken to it.

I get the same thing and it drives me nuts. Didnt really have a big clunk shifting into 1st until now. Its has gotten worse over the last 2000 miles 11000 now on the clock. 1st gear feels like I have to give it more gas then useal and the clutch just grabs no smooth transtion.

• Premium Member
any of you guys experiencing louder and louder clutch baskets?  it reminds me of the old v-strom, where it sounded like the clutch basket was going to consume itself, possibly opening up a wormhole into another dimension. 
and i don't have buckaroo bonzai's phone number anymore.

sitting at idle with the clutch released, it sounds like there's a ton of hamsters eating croutons in my clutch basket.  as soon as i pull the clutch in, it goes away completely.

same with slow speed, low rpms...between 2-3k, it makes the entire chasis feel like it's got an angle grinder being taken to it.
Hmmm...none of that at all on mine with 9500 miles. Just the normal jap bike "whirl" in neutral and totally silent when engaged. My FJ-09 has totally smoothed out since about 2000 miles. Vibrations minimal, nice 3 cyl whistle at idle and ROAR when hard on throttle. Gear changes, clickity-smooth. Never a false neutral.  
Was your bike part of the clutch recall? If so, I wonder if something coming loose inside.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

...what Clint said... at 7,000km all good. I did have the shifter recall done at the dealer (blue dot on end of shaft).

What year is your bike? Mine's a '15 but dealership said only the other recall notice comes up for my bike--something to do with the cams, can't remember the exact name. Bike more torquey and shifting actually smoother after that recall work done two days ago. I'm still curious about the shifter recall. If my bike had it done at the factory, would there still be a blue dot? Where exactly would it be?

Omar

What year is your bike? Mine's a '15 but dealership said only the other recall notice comes up for my bike--something to do with the cams, can't remember the exact name. Bike more torquey and shifting actually smoother after that recall work done two days ago. I'm still curious about the shifter recall. If my bike had it done at the factory, would there still be a blue dot? Where exactly would it be? 
Omar
2015... and only if it were done as a recall at the dealer using a factory kit. Dot is right on the end of the shaft where extension rod clamps on, in plain view. The cam and shaft are both in the recall kit btw.  Recall paper.

Oh perfect, so the shifter shaft must have been done as well when they did the cam recall, right?

Omar

Was your bike part of the clutch recall? If so, I wonder if something coming loose inside.

yeah, recall.  they did it a while back....around 8,000 miles ago.  when i bought the bike with 0 miles on it, the clutch basket never made any noise.

• Premium Member
Recall was completed on my bike before I bought it, but I've always had the clutch basket rattle - pull in the clutch it quiets down - let clutch out it rattles.. Never worried me too much as I recall a post about it over a year ago saying it's normal and all's well...
  • Thanks 1

Recall was completed on my bike before I bought it, but I've always had the clutch basket rattle - pull in the clutch it quiets down - let clutch out it rattles.. Never worried me too much as I recall a post about it over a year ago saying it's normal and all's well...
Thibk the FJ's noisy, listen to a 1st Gen FZ-1. Noisy as hell, been that way for the last 34K miles....and works fine. 

I have about 10k on my bike and noticed after my last oil service. I need to check my oil level. I had the same noise on a crf and the oil level was just to low.
I check the oil level every time I gas up. Bike's already on the centre stand, so I check the oil level right after I reconnect the tank bag strap. Only adds about 10 seconds to my fill-up routine.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 3 months later...
Anyone have more info on this issue? My '15 started getting noisy at idle with the clutch out. Sounds exactly like my former '07 SV1000S which was a defective clutch basket design that caused rattling at idle.
Noisy clutch when clutch lever is out & oil is warm is pretty normal for Yamaha's. You should hear my '03 FZ-1. Been making the same noise for 33K miles. :-) 

Anybody have any idea exactly what design, parts, and/or set up details cause the clutch to rattle so much? How can we tell when something is wrong before it becomes a severe problem? I suppose the only ways to know is by using used oil analysis to check for metal particles, or take it apart to inspect.

I guess the consensus of the group is we'll have to live with it!  It's very noticeable on my FJ-09 which now has 21,000 miles on it. My last Yamaha was a 1993 TDM 850 which I rode from new until 2015...22 years.  And it never rattled like this one.  Progress?  I'm not sure I'd call it that.
  • Like 1

over on fz09 there is a similar thread. the "consensus" (if you can call it that) is Yamaha neglected to put a spring in there to damp the thrashing the basket gets since idle is not exactly steady RPM. I don't know what the right part number is but there are many a Yam that uses the same clutch basket and the off-road models might have said spring.