clutch basket noise at idle and low rpm

I wonder if fitting the slipper clutch would help this? I'd gladly pay the $300 to get rid of this rattle in the clutch and harsh feeling in the pegs.

I recently fitted the APE manual tension adjuster hoping it might help, but no  appreciable difference.

SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

I wonder if fitting the slipper clutch would help this? I'd gladly pay the $300 to get rid of this rattle in the clutch and harsh feeling in the pegs. 
I recently fitted the APE manual tension adjuster hoping it might help, but no  appreciable difference.

I don't think those three things are related to any large extent.  There was another thread or two about vibrations and how to eliminate them.  Adding an APE manual tensioner smoothed out my engine a little, maybe just enough to notice the engine ran a little smoother.  My clutch is loud, I suppose in a normal way, but still have a relatively vibration free bike, at least enough that it doesn't bother me.   
http://fj-09.org/thread/1272/strange-vibrationzzzz

There is a link on page 3 to another thread about reducing vibrations.

over on fz09 there is a similar thread. the "consensus" (if you can call it that) is Yamaha neglected to put a spring in there to damp the thrashing the basket gets since idle is not exactly steady RPM. I don't know what the right part number is but there are many a Yam that uses the same clutch basket and the off-road models might have said spring.

Thanks for the info. I searched the FZ09 forum for insight on this issue and didn't find anything definitive.

Do you have a link to a thread with specific info for a fix? If it's as simple as adding a spring that would be excellent.

Otherwise it looks like we are SOL

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

After riding my 2015 for 4 years, I'm now hearing this noise too. Never heard it until a few months ago, but if I sit with the bike idling, and the clutch lever pulled to the handle - no sound at all. If I let the clutch lever out (in neutral), it makes a loud noise that sounds like parts rubbing that shouldn't. Don't notice any noises when actually riding. 

Did anyone ever figure out why this is an issue with the FJ-09? or is this just something I have to live with?

• Premium Member

Mine has rattled like that for a long time now. Nothing to worry about. Folks used to love the sound of those loud dry Ducati clutches.....

Let’s go Brandon

Same here with my 2016.

Plus my ST-1300 did the same thing. Slightly different sound, but rattling noise when clutch out in neutral.

I think it's common to a lot of motorcycle brands as the clutch wears in.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I encountered this problem after i told my mechanic to open the basket and check the clutch plates if anyone is broken... i have installed the slipper clutch from mt-09/xsr900 model in my 2015 tracer....

i always used fine oils like maxima full synthetic, or spectro 10w-40 viscosity.... this last time i used silcolene fuchs full synthetic which has very good reviews but at a different viscosity, at 10w-50... i dont know if it plays any role, but after i fired the engine the rattling noise was there... at idle. if you clutch it, the noise is gone... its a bit frustrating

• Thanks 1

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• Premium Member

When I installed my slipper clutch about 3 months ago, i tossed in a mouse carcass as well.  I feel much better now hearing the rattle (both before and after the slipper install) knowing that it's mouse bones - I don't even notice it anymore.

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the info guys.

Mine is also rattly and with 80,000 kms (49,709 miles), I thought there was something wrong. Seems it just a trait of the bike.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Mine did it from day 1 but it wasn't "marbles in the basket" type of loud. It more like a newer washing machine running on spin cycle until I pulled the clutch in and it went away. One thing of note, it's pretty common on the CP3 from my readings of the FZ9's and some FJ09's that hard dropped wheelies and tracking the bike (really spirited rides) have been causing cracks in the clutch basket itself. If it seems much louder than it normally is the first thing I would do is pop off the clutch cover and inspect the basket for cracks, then check out the plates. Sometimes the cracks might only be a hairline but they pop up often enough in searches for it to be something to look out for IMO. 

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT