So I went to pickup my new FJ-09 (and it did not end well)

So last night, I went to pickup my FJ-09. A used-but-like-new 2015 with only 6500 km on it, on which I had a super good deal. It was a beautiful, sunny and hot afternoon. Perfect weather to ride! I was pretty excited thinking about the upcoming 70 km ride to bring it back home.

Well, I only rode it for exactly 2 km when this happened:   ??? (puke)

RbKrPIH.jpg

Yep: A 1/2"-thick threaded rod, about 9" long, impaled in the oil pan. WTF? Lost all my oil almost instantly, thankfully I had the reflex to shutoff the engine as soon as I heard the bang.

The guys at the dealer never seen this in their life. I must be the most unlucky guy on the planet. To make things more frustrating, I was talking to a friend just the day before telling him that I read online that the oil pan was one of the weak point of the FJ-09 being so low and that I was researching skid plates.  O_o

So now the bike is back at the garage, waiting to be inspected and fixed. Hopefully, they'll only need to clean the bike and replace the oil pan. I hope it didn't do more damage than that, wouldn't want to file an insurance claim on day hour 1.

So, skid plate uh?

2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Well that certainly sucks.... :(
Hope the repair goes smoothly, good luck....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
You had your, "Airplane crash into the house" moment. Watch, "The World according to Garp" with Robin Williams and you'll know what I'm referencing. Enjoy the bike!
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

At least the glass is half full since you did not crash because of the oil. [span]   [/span]

Indeed. It happened a few feet from an intersection, after a stop and left turn, so our speed was still low. A few hundred feet later we would have been >100 km/h since it happened on an highway on-ramp. Really glad it didn't happen on the highway at high speed. x_x

What's the expression????? If you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!! Lol.... that's a damn shame. Sorry that the new baby acquisition was spoiled but it's got to be all smooth sailing from here!! Good on ya for the quick shutdown....... some folks might shrug it off and wait to see if they hear something else as the accelerate.....

• Premium Member
I don't understand???? Was the rod laying flat not he ground? or sticking up? and how did it get enough force to impale your oil pan. Seems like if it was lying flat on the ground, it would have just been pushed out of the way by the tire.

Was it sticking up?

Still sucks, though, sorry for your experience...

I don't understand???? Was the rod laying flat not he ground? or sticking up? and how did it get enough force to impale your oil pan. Seems like if it was lying flat on the ground, it would have just been pushed out of the way by the tire.  
Was it sticking up?

Still sucks, though, sorry for your experience...
I wish I knew! We (my friend, who was riding in front of me, and I) sure didn't see anything laying on the road. But it certainly did not appear from thin air. But for sure it wasn't sticking up... the front tire wouldn't have liked that. At first I thought it was a part from the bike that may have fell but apparently not. 

I suspect the front tire went over the rod, and when it got to the far end of the rod, the tire tipped and kicked the rod upward as the tire passed over it and the rod wedged between the road and the pan, with the pan coming out as the loser. Probably one of those one in a million occurrences.

I don't understand why some are saying to get the new side drain pan seemingly as if that had anything to do with it. I don't think it did.

I suspect the front tire went over the rod, and when it got to the far end of the rod, the tire tipped and kicked the rod upward as the tire passed over it and the rod wedged between the road and the pan, with the pan coming out as the loser. Probably one of those one in a million occurrences. 
I don't understand why some are saying to get the new side drain pan seemingly as if that had anything to do with it. I don't think it did.

I think they're suggesting he get the "upgraded" pan since it needs to be replaced anyway. Like, to take advantage of the situation.

I suspect the front tire went over the rod, and when it got to the far end of the rod, the tire tipped and kicked the rod upward as the tire passed over it and the rod wedged between the road and the pan, with the pan coming out as the loser.

I had the same thing happen while riding a road bicycle. Rode over a bolt and it flipped up. When the rear wheel hit it the bolt punched through tire, tube and aluminium rim.

My wife also did something similar while driving a Mercedes SUV. A 18" long drill bit flipped up and embedded itself in the gas tank. That was one expensive gas tank too.

Archived