Forrest Hill - Soda Springs - Lake Spaulding Ride

mhevezi

Hey Everyone-

A few years ago (12 to be exact) I got stuck on a dusty, rocky, 25 miles of mountain road while riding a BRAND NEW, 2003 SV650s. Suffice to say, it wasn't my intended adventure (the AAA map said it was all paved...) but I pressed on and made it through- barely. I came out OK and the bike was fine and I SWORE to return someday with machinery better suited to the route. Last weekend was the day!

Setup camp at Lake Spaulding so I didn't have to carry all my gear on the ride. Learned that bringing the Top Case was a mistake and due to my own dumbassery, I lost the lock cylinder and had to bust out my emergency straps. (good thing I carry those) - The Top Case and the side covers, just under the tank rattled the whole way, but the factory side cases did fine. I brought food, water, GPS, camera(s) and my GoPro. GoPro footage came out good, but it will take me a while to whittle down the gigs of footage. 

Had great weather, met cool people, caught fish, drank beer and really enjoyed the experience. No, the FJ-09 is not the best choice for this ride, but it did OK. Spent most of the ride in 2nd gear, lugging along at about 15-20mph. Crossed a few shallow creeks and really beat the snot out of the bike. She rode back home smooth, so nothing serious broke (aside from the top case lock) and I was proud to finish! Met a group of guys coming out of the route on bikes (2, GS's, a newer V-Strom and a new, Africa Twin!) and saw one jeep and one quad. Towards the end, the road goes through a meadow with cabins and some folks were coming home in their Subarus and pick ups. I (and the FJ) were super pumped to get back on pavement! Really was tougher than I recall and I really should have had more people with me, (I had 5 buddies committed to the trip, and all backed-out for one reason or another)- but I manned-up and got through it. Go Me! Here are some pics.

The Route (I stopped the GPS about 7miles from my campsite as I wanted to save the route while I had good data signal)
LakeSpauldingForrestHillSodaSprings_zpsdwhgobcg.jpg

The Start of the Ride:
IMG_1223_zpsmeulbiwi.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsm3dasznx.jpg

IMG_1235_zpss6tlbhwf.jpg

The Riders Coming Out:
IMG_1230_zpsfdbiruhf.jpg

The Trail:
IMG_1234_zpslnf0pj80.jpg

IMG_1236_zpsrzfekabs.jpg

IMG_1243_zps4q9lap0w.jpg

IMG_1245_zpsxn8yb0pi.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsh3kgxp39.jpg

IMG_1266_zpsqlkscl2z.jpg

IMG_1241_zpsyzuaviqw.jpg

Top Case Repair/Rig:
IMG_0327_zpsclqiyl2p.jpg

More Trail Shots:
IMG_0306_zpsxsag7jmt.jpg

IMG_0309_zps7yw0ltut.jpg

IMG_1258_zpsg9orvdwj.jpg

IMG_0314_zps61rhoxpu.jpg

IMG_1268_zps9gfzhvqo.jpg

Pavement!
IMG_0323_zps5bf1slmw.jpg

IMG_0324_zpsfqisejbw.jpg

More Trail:
IMG_0305_zpsp4p2ddek.jpg

IMG_0303_zps4o9acgg8.jpg

And some gratuitous camp shots!
IMG_1209_zpsnjxsegno.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsnce9ypqc.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsspzygzg1.jpg

IMG_0294_zpsvyh3qsvq.jpg

IMG_0282_zpsx9hvavgu.jpg

IMG_1195_zpsda99kdng.jpg

IMG_1203_zpstle6z0js.jpg

The Lake Was loooooow... (PG&E was draining the lake at a furious pace)
IMG_0336_zpsmxoajq6k.jpg

Great Trip!
IMG_1285_zpsgtlh3zkj.jpg

The top case shook and rattled A LOT. It just rattled too much and if the ride were longer, I may have lost my top case. I put a rag between the top case and the mount plate to take any shake out of it and moved my items to the side cases. If you HAVE TO bring a top case, put in your lightest items and wrap them in towels or clothes. That's from experience ;)

Remember too, the suspension on the FJ is way stiffer than that of a DRZ, but that's a good idea. If I ever have to bring it on a trip like that- I'll consider added reinforcements! Or a bike better suited- but where is the challenge in that????

• Premium Member
Remember too, the suspension on the FJ is way stiffer than that of a DRZ, but that's a good idea. If I ever have to bring it on a trip like that- I'll consider added reinforcements! Or a bike better suited- but where is the challenge in that????
Nice trip report! Can you tell me about your bash plate? Is that an FJ specific item or did you mod something from a previous bike? Also, can you change the oil with it on.
Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Sure- it's an SWMotoTech plate listed for an XSR900, but it fits the FJ-09 perfectly. I have not yet done the oil with the plate fitted, but I'm sure it will need to come off. I could drill a hole where the drain plus is- but I'm feeling lazy at the moment.

Archived