Have you used your ABS?

• Premium Member
To clarify. If I stand on the rear brake it will very gently slow the bike down.  It's really only of use in a parking lot to trim speed or stop in a parking space.  I tried bleeding at the caliper and got no air at all and no change in braking.  So there is no way I can activate the abs as the brake now operates.  I will try bleeding at the abs pump (assuming this is possible) next time I have the tank off.  Hopefully this will fix the spongy pedal and weak performance.  Will report when I try this, but mostly I just want to ride the bike these days.  Too old to have the desire to work on stuff in the garage anymore.
Try spraying the pads and rotor with CRC chlorinated brake cleaner, or better, remove the pads and lightly abrade them on a flat surface (i.e., a piece of glass) on a piece of 150 grit and then 220 grit 3M drywall screen (as used for sanding taping compound) followed by brushing with a stainless steel fine wire brush, and then spraying the pads very, very well with 91% isopropyl alcohol (buy the largest bottle at CVS, Walgreens, etc and insert a standard spray bottle assembly in the bottle as they usually fit perfectly though you may need to trim the pick-up tube).  With the bike still on the center stand, also spray liberally with alcohol while you abrade in a cross-hatch motion the rotor with a "red" 3M Scotchbrite abrasive pad (I have no affiliation with 3M BTW).  Wipe the rotor with a lint-less cotton cloth or paper towel again sprayed with the alcohol.  Reassemble and do 10 panic stops using just the rear brake from 55 mph down to 5 mph without coming to a complete stop (so as not to imprint the brake pads on the hot rotor, and they do get burning hot). 
Then post up on how it brakes afterward.

• Premium Member
So it seems like the front is smooth than the rear when you actually get to ABS.  I wonder if that has to do with the weight distribution.  Under heavy braking the rear tire probably lift off the ground a little making the ABS lock the wheel easier causing the ABS to chirp which you feel in the lever.  
As far as getting a discount on insurance for having ABS.  A friend mentioned yesterday that he thought there should be a way to get a discount for being a rider who wears gear all the time.  Since I'm one of those guys that sounded great.  Surely someone who wears gear is less of an insurance liability than someone who doesn't wear any?!
How would you evidence that? Statistics comparing ABS models with non-ABS are readily available to insurance underwriters and legislators.

Someone wearing the wrong type of gear for the weather e.g. getting too hot, may be distracted compared to the person wearing sports clothing. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
So it seems like the front is smooth than the rear when you actually get to ABS.  I wonder if that has to do with the weight distribution.  Under heavy braking the rear tire probably lift off the ground a little making the ABS lock the wheel easier causing the ABS to chirp which you feel in the lever.  
As far as getting a discount on insurance for having ABS.  A friend mentioned yesterday that he thought there should be a way to get a discount for being a rider who wears gear all the time.  Since I'm one of those guys that sounded great.  Surely someone who wears gear is less of an insurance liability than someone who doesn't wear any?!
How would you evidence that? Statistics comparing ABS models with non-ABS are readily available to insurance underwriters and legislators. 
Someone wearing the wrong type of gear for the weather e.g. getting too hot, may be distracted compared to the person wearing sports clothing. 

I think I deserve a discount for installing an aftermarket seat, I'm definitely less distracted now that my butts not hurtin so much. 
BLB

The following report put out the IIHS shows ABS systems reduce rider fatalities by about 37% compared to non-ABS equipped identical motorcycles. Comparatively, a 1996 study on airbags in cars showed that frontal airbags reduce fatalities by about 11%. ABS saves lives. I'll never buy another bike without it.

http://www.iihs.org/frontend/iihs/documents/masterfiledocs.ashx?id=2042

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/808470

I love my ABS and Traction Control. (They use the same sensors.)

It's saved my butt a few times on this bike. I think I know I can push it more with the ABS and TC. No worries about wheelies.
And in loose stuff on the side of the road or in corners? It's absolutely kept the wheel from locking up and sliding.

I grew up on dirt bikes, so sliding the rear wheel is how I used to ride. And I expect the front to wash out, so you tend to ride a dirt bike on the rear wheel in the loose stuff anyway. That's why you crash in the dirt so much, too many things for your body to try and keep in concert, and when you get it wrong, it all goes pretty fast to the blazes, and you end up in the dirt!

But now that I'm supposed to be older and wiser, and riding on the street? This is a no brainer. ABS and TC are AWESOME! And should always get a discount on insurance. I know GEICO is discounting my rates due to them being standard on this bike.

Yeah you're right. No real way to track it, so it'll never happen. I can't think of a way for insurance companies to compile any evidence. Plus I've seen guys with full gear get distracted. Watch a guy on a BMW (all geared up) lock eyes with a butterfly in front of me once. We were on the Cherohala Skyway, the curve went right and he went straight. Luckily he was able to get it stopped about a foot before he disappeared over the side of a cliff. We stopped to make sure he was ok and then looked over the cliff. He wasn't coming back if he had gone another foot, it would have been bad! 

I ride aggressively at times and have taken full advantage of the ABS system. It's amazing at how well it actually works and at no point did I ever feel like I was ever out of control or unstable. It simply kicks in and dials back braking pressure just enough to keep the wheels from locking up but not enough to make them feel mushy or ineffective. Rain is where it was most prevalent because I did have to full stop for an ignorant driver pulling out in front of me, the bike just simply came to a stop and never once did I feel a lack of control. It is a well designed system that is integrated perfectly into this bike and I would not even think of trying to have this bike any other way (aside from defeating the speed limiter).

While we're on the subject of safety systems, the TCS is very effective at keeping the bike firmly planted on the tarmac. I'm a 260lb's 6'2" guy and in 1st gear with me full lean over the tank it still manages to pull the front wheel up. The TCS works very well at keeping power delivery constant but keeping the nose down and me in control. There are a couple of places where I've found out how to intentionally launch the bike into a wheelie and the TCS gently brings the nose back down after a fun 45* endeavor. Rain again is where it is the most effective because even in B mode there were a couple of times where I could feel the rear wheel try to get a little squirrely in some of the deep rain puddles and the TCS kicked in to keep it firmly planted.

I'm not saying this bike is idiot proof because I'm certain with the right lack of self control and experience then you could very easily put it on its side (which I have done, not intentionally though and that was where one of those times where the TCS bit me...................), but it is a much safer bike to ride with the safety systems in place. I don't think I will ever own another bike without ABS and TCS, I am very much sold on the systems and firmly believe they make the riding experience a much safer and more enjoyable one.

I've felt the front ABS pulse a couple of times - 2d time was in July when someone pulled out in front of me. It did not kick in until the rear wheel was out of contact with the ground. I just about had the lever in the grip... Held the bike straight, no accident.  The first time was last November whilst dodging two jihadist deer that ambushed me in a road cut and I felt it in both wheels, again, no collision and no low side in the corner. To feel this in action - get on a track (closed road) get up to near top speed and solidly pull down on just the front lever. It really does work well - much better than my friend's Beemer or another's Gold Wing, which also has front lever linked to rear brake.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

RE the braking on the back - replace your pads with EBC pads. Have the dealer check the pedal rod to ensure it is working all the way before it hits the stop - and have them power bleed the ABS system. I'd already changed the pads, but at the 4K service whined about the rear brake and they did the rod adjust/bleed while doing throttle body synch. MUCH better.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
(If you wish to ride your bike with the ABS OFF, put it on the center stand, start and take it up to about 20 mph, then, without shutting off the bike, put it in neutral, come off the center stand and you are ABS free. 
Really? What does this do?

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

(If you wish to ride your bike with the ABS OFF, put it on the center stand, start and take it up to about 20 mph, then, without shutting off the bike, put it in neutral, come off the center stand and you are ABS free. 
Really? What does this do?

Oh, it does a lot -but only if you point the front wheel to magnetic 282 degrees and put you left hand on top of your head, palm up, while wearing mirrored sunglasses.
Keep Asheville weird!

On a Super Tenere it turn off the ABS system, on a FJ-09 I tried before and it didn't do anything (but maybe I didn't reach 20mph).
Tried again on my FJ, took it up to 60 km/h on the center stand, still didn't work.

That's really weird, the ABS off trick seems to work on mine. Built Oct 2014...

Forgot to add this!  And now I know why - loose ABS sensor on front fork. Problem corrected. That's why the dang light came on.  Guess it's not like the ST.

Archived