Greetings from the Twin Cities (Minnesota) ...

jsnachbar

Just picked up a Red 2015 FJ-09 yesterday morning, went to work and took a 150 mile route home though the countryside of western WI. Ordered mirror extenders from AdventureTech today, after staring at my elbows or flapping my arms to see behind me yesterday.  I'm loving the bike. 

My 3 finalists were this FJ-09, Tiger 800 XRx, or BMW R1200R.  I went with the most economical choice and best dealer attitude.

Been riding 40+ years.  Spent the last 15+ on mostly V-twins and Cruisers and decided I wanted a different riding experience, so traded in my "06 HD Dyna Wide Glide".  My last Yamaha was back in the 90s when the Virago was the big V-Twin, had both a 750 and an 1100. Also rode a XS 1100 Special in the late 70's. Other bikes included Kawasaki 500 Vulcan, Honda CB650, Suzuki 550 two-stroke, among others.  Looking forward to some miles and reading about what others have done!

• Premium Member
Welcome from a Twin Cities expat (now in Oregon). It's interesting that you switched to something like this after riding cruisers for so long. What are your first impressions of the FJ riding position?

Welcome from a Twin Cities expat (now in Oregon). It's interesting that you switched to something like this after riding cruisers for so long. What are your first impressions of the FJ riding position?
Thanks for the welcomes...I really like the ergonomics of this bike (as well as the other two I closely considered, Tiger XRx, BMW 12R12). When looking to move away from cruisers I knew I preferred sitting up straighter more than leaning way forward with my feet behind me like most sport type bikes, so that was pretty much out.  On my HD Dyna Wide Glide my feet were actually in front of me and very comfortable with slanted heel rests, I never really liked HD flat foot beds on virtually all their touring bikes.  I'm 6' with 32" inseam so I like to have leg room and don't mind sitting up high on a bike, as long as it is light enough to handle well, and my arms aren't so far in front that they are pressured. 

So far, this is doing well for me...Only put 200 miles on since Wed, (rained all day today) so still not sure about the windscreen yet or the seat, which is currently in the high position. need some more miles to determine how I like them. So far, didn't feel beat up by the wind or get a sore butt. Like I said in my into, just want to try a different style of riding...

Archived