Auxiliary power connector confusion

paulbaker1954

There are 4 power ports for your use. One is reserved for the heated grip option and is on a larger gauge wire. The other three are behind the gauge cluster and have one of them ready for the connector used by the additional power port that goes in the right side of the dash pod. This unit is identical to the existing power connector on the left side that's installed from the factory. There are 2 more connectors utilizing MT-090 connectors back there. They are all located in a black rubber sleeve behind the gauges behind the windshield. These are all 2amp circuits from the factory.

Yep, there is a mounting location for a second socket matching the factory installed one on the left on the right side. To get at the AUX leads you need to remove the windshield and its mounting bracket. Directly behind the gauge cluster you will see a rubber sheath that the power lead for that left hand socket goes. You most likely will need to release the zip tie holding the wires to the frame behind the gauges, but the aux leads reside in that cavity.
Thread with Pics

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member
Great thread..  
is this the same on 2018 GT?
and if YES
will a 2amp circuit be ok for my denali DM single intensity lights
https://denalielectronics.com/led-light-kits

it says power 5 draw 1.6amps
but I'm not sure that's one or two lights, I. e. 3.2amp

and it's there a drawing for this, to follow?

I dont have an answer for the power draw but was looking at the specs for those lights... WOW, those should be BRIGHT!!
I installed some basic Denali daytime running lights yesterday, the Denali products are very high quality, plug and play (unless you have a unique setup) and have very concise easy to read instructions.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Great thread..  
is this the same on 2018 GT?
and if YES
will a 2amp circuit be ok for my denali DM single intensity lights
https://denalielectronics.com/led-light-kits

it says power 5 draw 1.6amps
but I'm not sure that's one or two lights, I. e. 3.2amp

and it's there a drawing for this, to follow?
When I found out about the socket only being 2 amp I looked at the gauge/thickness of the wire and went with a 5 amp fuse. That was the next size up. There was also a 7.5 amp before the 10 amp. I don't feel pushing it to 5 amps from 2 amps will cook the wires. Not the thickness they are. I don't feel safe going up to 7.5 either. This way I can have a 2 female USB plug in the right side 12 v power socket. And it can be a 2 amp per slot USB charger too. That way I can charge the phone and Go-Pro batteries or whatever in the tank bag while riding. YMMV

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

There are parallel circuits in there. While the auxiliary circuit wires can do better than 2A, it's the ampacity of the supply branches (from black circles up) that needs considering. Not suggesting that 5A will make a difference in this case, just something to consider when up-sizing fuses... anywhere really. The diagram is for the 2015 FJ-09.

Thanks, I can always use a refresher course in looking in my Yamaha Service Manual. (That huge thing that it is). Then check the wiring diagram. Naw, I just looked at the wires, followed them back a bit and said OK. Knowledge spurred on by experience, 60 now, figured the harness could handle the 6 extra amps, manufacturers don't run wiring tolerances that close, yadda, yadda, yadda. I didn't even think of pulling out the manual. How Homer of me........DOH!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Archived