What's in Your Tire Repair Kit?

caferacer

Rear tire picked up a nail on the Interstate a couple days ago, I was prepared with a tire plug kit in my saddlebags, but foolishly didn't think to pack a pump to inflate the tire after repair. 

Felt kinda goofy as I had to wait for a manual air pump to be brought to me  :-[ .  With no tire gauge, my best effort at getting the tire as close to road-ready as I could guess-timate turned out to be only 24 psi.

2cy0109.jpg

11t0mxc.jpg

For those of you who travel prepared to repair/plug a tubeless tire roadside, what is in your kit? Especially interested in reasons for manual v. electric air pump.

• Premium Member
Can of Wynns Tyrefix or similar http://www.wynns.uk.com/Product.aspx?p=43001&g=GRP_CONS_WORK and a small compressor from Stop n Go http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/default/stop-and-go-mini-air-compressor.html - use the croc clips on the battery as the power socket fuse is too low
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Update: Bad advice - the JACO pump blew the fuse on the 12v. Don't make the same mistake I did!

I always carry a tire repair kit, and this electric inflato -JACO Premium Digital Tire Inflator - Portable Air Compressor Pump, 100 PSI, available on Amazon for $50.
I don't carry it for short trips close to home, but any time I'm out on a longer run I do. It's small enough to fit in a tank bag, lightweight, and works great. 

I always carry a tire repair kit, and this electric inflato - JACO Premium Digital Tire Inflator - Portable Air Compressor Pump, 100 PSI, available on Amazon for $50. I don't carry it for short trips close to home, but any time I'm out on a longer run I do. It's small enough to fit in a tank bag, lightweight, and works great. You can power it off the 12v plug on the bike.
Does this not blow the fuse? I heard you need to clip on to the battery for these small pumps.

I always carry a tire repair kit, and this electric inflato - JACO Premium Digital Tire Inflator - Portable Air Compressor Pump, 100 PSI, available on Amazon for $50. I don't carry it for short trips close to home, but any time I'm out on a longer run I do. It's small enough to fit in a tank bag, lightweight, and works great. You can power it off the 12v plug on the bike.
Does this not blow the fuse? I heard you need to clip on to the battery for these small pumps.
it blew both of my fuses when i tried to use mine......

it blew both of my fuses when i tried to use mine......
Definitely hook it directly to the battery.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
After riding bicycles for ages, I definitely recommend the CO2 Gas cartridges, just make sure you have enough to inflate the tire to get you to a gas station

Yep, just as easy with a motorcycle tire. I picked up a screw on the way back from Sturgis last year. Pulled the offending screw, plugged the tire and hit it with 3 CO2 cartridges and was on my way. Stopped at the next station to get the air pressure back to spec and ran the tire until it was replaced this year.

my brother and I just got done doing riding and camping up the coast and his valve stem was loose after checking the pressure and we didn't have a way to tighten it. I suggest having a couple valve stems and the tool to replace/tighten them. we were lucky enough to find a tire repair shop and they got us back on the road in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived