4500 miles in 6 days.

micah2074

• Premium Member
Just got back from out west. First time I've been out that way. I started in deepest darkest South East Tennessee and turned around in Idaho Falls. I went to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Beartooth highway, Tetons, Jackson WY, the Utah Desert, the Colorado Rockies, etc.
This was my first really long trip. The 09 was fantastic. It ran like a champ even over 10,000 ft. I learned a lot. Like I packed too much and it gets cold when you're high up in the mountains at night, even in August. Did I mention I packed to much. Also Kansas blows, really, does the wind ever stop? Riding through Kansas I pretty muck did 300 plus miles on the right side of my tires.
List of the states I rode through on this trip: TN (home), GA, KY, IL (will avoid IL on future trips), MO, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID,UT,CO, KS, then back though a couple home. I love this bike.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Epic!! 
Do a more elaborate write up bud, in parts maybe, with some pics. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Will do. I need to figure out how to post pics.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Sounds like a great trip, but I'm curious? Why will you avoid IL in the future?

Nice area I rode through and nice people too. I should have read up on their gun laws befor I rode through. If I had been pulled over and searched I would have been in trouble. It will be easier to just avoid the state on future trips. Not judging, it's their state and their rules.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Sounds like a great trip, but I'm curious? Why will you avoid IL in the future?
Nice area I rode through and nice people too. I should have read up on their gun laws befor I rode through. If I had been pulled over and searched I would have been in trouble. It will be easier to just avoid the state on future trips. Not judging, it's their state and their rules.
Never voluntarily allow a search of motorcycle or car....period. Even if you have nothing to hide, never. Also, ask often "Officer, may I leave now?" Too much bull$hit happens during stops to citizens who aren't aware of their rights. Keep it respectful as they have a difficult job to do, but know your rights.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity

States Recognizing TN Permits Alabama Alaska* Arizona* Arkansas* Colorado Delaware Florida* Georgia* Idaho Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky* Louisiana* Maine Michigan* Minnesota Mississippi* Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire* New Mexico* North Carolina* North Dakota Oklahoma Ohio* Pennsylvania* South Carolina* South Dakota* Texas* Utah Vermont Virginia Washington* West Virginia* Wisconsin Wyoming* - See more at:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity#sthash.KrtHwDjK.dpuf

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity 
States Recognizing TN Permits Alabama Alaska* Arizona* Arkansas* Colorado Delaware Florida* Georgia* Idaho Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky* Louisiana* Maine Michigan* Minnesota Mississippi* Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire* New Mexico* North Carolina* North Dakota Oklahoma Ohio* Pennsylvania* South Carolina* South Dakota* Texas* Utah Vermont Virginia Washington* West Virginia* Wisconsin Wyoming* - See more at:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity#sthash.KrtHwDjK.dpuf
If you have a concealed carry permit, this site will tell you which other states will honor it. 
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

• Premium Member
So your average was 750 miles a day! For 6 days! Can you share any tips for avoiding pain and fatigue in your back, elbows, wrists, etc? I have done a few 500 mile days, but not consecutive, and was looking for techniques that minimize fatigue. Did you use a tail bag as a backrest? Keep your elbows loose and your grip loose? Use cruise control? Earplugs? Squirm around on the seat every 20 minutes? Highway pegs? Padded shorts?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
So your average was 750 miles a day! For 6 days! Can you share any tips for avoiding pain and fatigue in your back, elbows, wrists, etc? I have done a few 500 mile days, but not consecutive, and was looking for techniques that minimize fatigue. Did you use a tail bag as a backrest? Keep your elbows loose and your grip loose? Use cruise control? Earplugs? Squirm around on the seat every 20 minutes? Highway pegs? Padded shorts?

It's more like an average of 650 miles a day. I did 815 the first day and felt like I could have did a thousand at least. But, it was getting dark and I didnt want to set up camp is complete darkness in a place I didn't know.
Yes to all of that stuff you mentioned. I moved around a lot. Bought one of those GOCRUISE things for the throttle. It worked well. I have the Sargent seat. It was a bonus. My tail bag made a pretty good back rest at times. Did I mention I moved around a lot? I used my engine guards as highway pegs and wore a pair of bike shorts. Also Aleve helped the last few days. I made sure and stopped every 100 miles and strech. I filled up every 200 so it worked out.
I changed 2 time zones but made sure I stuck with my normal schedule. That meant that out west I was on the road by at the latest 5pm local time. Hope this helps.
I would leave today and do it again if the time and funds were available.
Pics coming soon.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I loved South Dakota. It rained on me most of the way across but the country was beautiful and the air seemed to have a sweet aroma to it. The prairies, badlands, and black hills..... I'll go back some day.
The rain cleared up enough to get some pics of Mt Rushmore. I left there headed to Deadwood and it started raining again. I was wet and tired so I stayed in a little motel in Spearfish. Slept like a baby.
rushmore%203.jpg

Let’s go Brandon

Just got back from out west. First time I've been out that way. I started in deepest darkest South East Tennessee and turned around in Idaho Falls. I went to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Beartooth highway, Tetons, Jackson WY, the Utah Desert, the Colorado Rockies, etc. This was my first really long trip. The 09 was fantastic. It ran like a champ even over 10,000 ft. I learned a lot. Like I packed too much and it gets cold when you're high up in the mountains at night, even in August. Did I mention I packed to much. Also Kansas blows, really, does the wind ever stop? Riding through Kansas I pretty muck did 300 plus miles on the right side of my tires.
List of the states I rode through on this trip: TN (home), GA, KY, IL (will avoid IL on future trips), MO, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID,UT,CO, KS, then back though a couple home. I love this bike.

You Sir, are a man among men! I tip my helmet to you. 4500 miles on an FJ in 6 days sounds like... pain, to me.  
Oh, and avoid New Jersey for the same reason as IL -they're even worse.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
beartooth%20curve%202.jpg

Beartooth highway was unbelievable. The views were like nothing I've ever seen. Really, all of US 212 from SD through to Yellowstone was fantastic. More Deer and pronghorn (I think that's what their called) than you could shake a stick at.

beartooth%20curve.jpg

From Beartooth I went into Yellowstone. I will go back when I have more time. So much to see and experience.

yellowstone%20canyon%201.jpg

yellowstone%20canyon%202.jpg

more pics later

Let’s go Brandon

I love Corbin saddles. I had one on my FZ1, and now on my FJ09. The stock saddle on the FJ09 made the bike unusable for long rides; it destroyed my butt on the first 150 mile ride, but the Corbin seat solved that; I took the bike for a 700 mile weekend after installing the Corbin saddle, and my butt was very happy. It's amazingly comfortable, and I feel more connected to the bike as well. However, I think the stock suspension on this bike is awful, and the seat does nothing to help my lower back when hitting hard bumps. I ordered a custom rear shock and some modifications to the front suspension as well. I'm hoping it does the trick as others have commented on. I should have it in about 2 weeks. 

I love Corbin saddles. I had one on my FZ1, and now on my FJ09. The stock saddle on the FJ09 made the bike unusable for long rides; it destroyed my butt on the first 150 mile ride, but the Corbin seat solved that; I took the bike for a 700 mile weekend after installing the Corbin saddle, and my butt was very happy. It's amazingly comfortable, and I feel more connected to the bike as well. However, I think the stock suspension on this bike is awful, and the seat does nothing to help my lower back when hitting hard bumps. I ordered a custom rear shock and some modifications to the front suspension as well. I'm hoping it does the trick as others have commented on. I should have it in about 2 weeks. 
Interested in what suspension upgrades you have lined up, it's my experience that "upgraded" suspension for sports bikes stiffens the ride--this improves performance by making the bike more tractable (more rubber to the road for spirited riding, less diving in corners), but doesn't aim to make it more comfortable, the opposite if anything.

Archived