FJ Fuel Range?

I only have 2500 miles on my bike but just did first multi day camp trip on it. I wasn't sure I liked the bike as I'd only been commuting on it till then. I have to say its a pretty great all a rounder. 

I was getting around 160 miles before i'd start to get 'range anxiety' and would find gas only to find it only needed 3 gallons. Cruising around 70-75 with the occasional bursts for passing i was averaging 52mpg! Surprisingly, it can hang under hard acceleration with my friends 1190 adventure R up to the dreaded 115mph weave speed. Weight matters.

Around town i get 140 before the gas lights starts flashing! Stopped and it only took 3.8 gals so I should have had another gal remaining? Seems like warning comes on early. 

Question- how far can you go when the mileage counter starts after the fuel bar starts flashing? Whats the max range people have gotten touring?

Endoz

• Premium Member
I figure you can get over 200 miles, but I typically fill up around 160. Most I have personally seen is 195, but I had gas to go further

• Premium Member
For the most part I stay off the interstates. I prefer smaller roads.

Around town I get mid 40's ish. I took a trip back in May, Ft. Lauderdale FL to Highlands NC then back. Used the Florida Turnpike to get out of FL. It's a limited access toll road. And used smaller secondary roads for the rest of the trip. I averaged low to mid 50's mpgs.

A trip report is here.

http://fj-09.org/thread/3567/lauderdale-florida-highlands-north-carolina

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

The last bar generally starts flashing for me around 160/170, but I usually don't fill up until 190/200.  It does seem to come on early for me too. I've even noticed it start the ticker, and then go away ,and then start it again.

I've pushed it as far as 210 and put 4.5 gallons in that time.  

• Premium Member
I figure you can get over 200 miles, but I typically fill up around 160. Most I have personally seen is 195, but I had gas to go further
My fuel guage typically doesn't start blinking until 190-200. I've personally seen 220. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Don't do much stop and go. Last Thursday bombed up I5 doing 75-79 mph. The light came on at 180 and I fueled at 198 and took 4.2. The book says the light comes on at .69 and total capacity 4.76...
Thanks for this info.  I have been averaging around 45mpg so it looks like I can go about another 30 miles once the light goes on.  I am still thinking of getting a Rotopax fuel container and just strapping in the passenger pillion for long trips, but it makes me a little uneasy... leaks etc. 

• Premium Member
I just completed a 4500 mile trip. I filled up every 200 miles. Usually between 3.9 and 4.1 gallons. I never worried about running out of gas and filling up was an excellent opportunity to stretch.

Let’s go Brandon

Headed out hwy62 from El Paso to the Guadalupe Mountain state park. One reviewer warned fill up on the edge of El Paso because there are no gas stations.
Was a little overconfident with my full tank so average speed was high with a few full throttle runs.
Turned around at a rest stop after starting the engine and seeing the gauge dropped to 3\\8. Nursed it back to El Paso doing 60-70. Rode 31 miles with the gauge flashing before I hit a station. Pump wouldn't print a receipt but if memory serves gallons were 4.3. Needless to say the ride back was not as fun. No cell reception most of the time.

• Premium Member
Headed out hwy62 from El Paso to the Guadalupe Mountain state park. One reviewer warned fill up on the edge of El Paso because there are no gas stations. Was a little overconfident with my full tank so average speed was high with a few full throttle runs.
Turned around at a rest stop after starting the engine and seeing the gauge dropped to 3\\8. Nursed it back to El Paso doing 60-70. Rode 31 miles with the gauge flashing before I hit a station. Pump wouldn't print a receipt but if memory serves gallons were 4.3. Needless to say the ride back was not as fun. No cell reception most of the time.
Well if the specs are correct, and you get a full 4.8 gallons in the tank, you had a half a gallon left, which should have provided another 20+ miles. But I agree, it's never fun if you are out of cell reception and worried about running out of fuel.

During our SaddleSore 1000 the FJ averaged 175 miles between stops. Long run was 209, shortest was 151. Our max fill amount was 4.1 gals and we were packing the tank at a couple of stops to maximize range. We did go to a 43 tooth sprocket on the rear so our final gearing was a tad shorter than stock. We did most of our riding in the 80mph range. Our total average MPG between both bikes was 44.5mpg.

I carried a 1 gal. Rotopax on a trip around oregon as much our riding was out of cell range, longer distance between fuel, in 100+ degree weather and I was on the bike with the smallest tank. Turned out I didn't need it. I have to say everyone appreciated having the USS FJ VALDEZ along though as one buddy on an FJR almost ran out when he skipped a fuel stop. I strapped it to top of pillion seat under a waterproof bag so it was out of the way but don't think i'd do it again. At most i think a couple MSR bottles in the bags would suffice.

I keep records. Everything changes fuel consumption, speed, wind, up or down elevation change, altitude, good or bad gas, and most likely your right hand action on the throttle. Riding acrosss WY with elevation rising, 25 mph head wind, and going 95 mph will suck the gas as in low 40's. Turn around and have a 25 mph tail wind, downhill and going 75 mph you will be in the mid 50's+. Here are my records satistics:

Average mpg from 15K to 38K:  48.29 mpg  (217 miles @ 4.5 gals)

Best fuel consumption:  60.4 mpg  (271 miles)

Worst fuel consumption:  39.22 mpg  (176 miles)

Average miles between fill ups:  166 miles
(22420 miles/135 fill ups)

Most miles in single tank fill:  246 miles (4.17 gals)
(59.01 mpg with fill up before going 184 at 56.01mpg and fill after going 175 at 57.57mpg)

I plan my trips on going 200 miles between fill ups. Most common is between 185-205.  I use 4.5 gals in my calculations as I figure leaving .3 gals in the tank, is just good sense, just in case you need to go another 12-20 miles, and it is easier to calculate while moving.  I figure the mpg produced by the bikes computer to be 2 mpg too high and this is pretty much confirmed when I get the mpg at fill up.  I use FuelLog. (the free one) 
lbVcpie.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived