FJ Fuel Range?

Only have about 1,200 miles on the bike, but in the stock condition I averaged 49.1 mpg in mixed city and highway driving with spirited sprints from stoplights. Two weeks ago I swapped out the stock windscreen with a CalSci large one. Though I've only put about 150 miles on the bike since then, it looks like I am now averaging 52.1 mpg. Same mix of riding conditions.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

I must be hard on the throttle. I average ~39 MPG.

Edit: I am running the Puig windscreen, but I was getting just the same mileage before with the stock screen. 

My commute is 80 miles round trip and I'm usually hanging out at 5.5k-6k RPM in 6th. Stock gearing. 

• Premium Member
Only have about 1,200 miles on the bike, but in the stock condition I averaged 49.1 mpg in mixed city and highway driving with spirited sprints from stoplights. Two weeks ago I swapped out the stock windscreen with a CalSci large one. Though I've only put about 150 miles on the bike since then, it looks like I am now averaging 52.1 mpg. Same mix of riding conditions.
That's interesting, I'm curious what the MPG for some of the other aftermarket screens look like. 
Anyone who has a non-stock screen care to post the mpg they are getting?

• 2 weeks later...
That's interesting, I'm curious what the MPG for some of the other aftermarket screens look like. 

After putting on another few hundred miles it appears that the addition of the CalSci windscreen has had negligible impact on my fuel mileage.  So all is good. 

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

I'm running a V-stream Sport Touring tall version, have it at the middle height and am averaging in the low 50s at about 70-75 so not too bad, but not quite as good as I was getting with the stock screen.  But it's a whole lot quieter than the stock screen too!  I like this screen but have also ordered a CeeBaily which is arriving tomorrow so I'm curious to see if there's a mpg change.  Will post up after a few tank fulls. 
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

• Premium Member
I recently rode from my house (Tell City, IN) to Maryville, TN. We rode the Tail of the Dragon, the Skyway, and some random exploring. The total trip was 1,070 miles. I was using the stock screen, and was 2-up. I have Shad 36 cases, and she wore a backpack. With all of our gear, we were around 395 lbs. We averaged 44.1 mpg. Not bad considering that I ride pretty aggressively, and 650 miles of it was interstate at 90 mph or above. I drive a car for my job, and as a rule of thumb I don't let it get below 1/2 tank, so I stopped about every 150 miles due to fuel anxiety, though she had a little more in her. But, my friend that went with us on an R6 didn't complain about the frequent stops. He needed to stretch his legs.

Archived