Highway Stability

Much has been made of the so called high speed death wobble, but I am curious how others here have found normal interstate speed buffeting.

I don't spend much time on the interstate but today rode for about 20 miles at 70-75 mph with moderate wind and heavy truck traffic. It was no fun at all. Much more buffeting than I have experienced on other bikes (at least as compared with an SV65S). I found both the movement of the bike itself as well as helmet buffeting quite problematic.

Possible these were just particularly terrible conditions, I will plan another interstate run soon to re-examine it.

I don't think this was a lack of experience issue. I have ridden my previous bike (the aforementioned SV) on the interstate without issue. I get that wind and trucks at interstate speeds will move a bike around; this was much worse than I have experienced before. My guess is this is a combination of the light weight, upright riding position, and hand guard/wind screen aerodynamics. My experience today has me considering if I need to get an FJR/C14/Wing to accomplish any real touring...

Also, in the course of my 300 mile ride today I noticed my helmet was much quieter and head more comfortable when standing on the pegs to stretch my legs. I therefore retract my previous statements that the windscreen is fine. It sucks. Any suggestions for a minimalist screen? I think I'd be more comfortable with functionally no screen than trying to get a huge one.

Also, in the course of my 300 mile ride today I noticed my helmet was much quieter and head more comfortable when standing on the pegs to stretch my legs. I therefore retract my previous statements that the windscreen is fine. It sucks. Any suggestions for a minimalist screen? I think I'd be more comfortable with functionally no screen than trying to get a huge one.
I too am interested in a screen a few inches shorter than the stock screen for the same reason.    
And sometimes esp behind a big truck I get shoved back and forth pretty good at even only 75.  Might be the handguards aren't that aerodynamic.

• Premium Member
I find my interstate experience varies, so chalk it up to factors other than the bike. Honestly though, I think the FJ-09 is better suited to highways than freeways. I'm not sure if I would be happy riding on the interstate all day on mine, but a short run to get from one place to another, the bike is generally fine.

Try to take the stock windshield completely off. That greatly reduced helmet buffeting for me, then I cut about 3 inches of the top of the windshield and also shortened the bottom, and have no buffeting. I never ride in conditions where I need a full shield.

There are several other threads on high speed stability.  Start with proper suspension set up, which may vary with your weight. Generally, the major contributor of high speed stability problems start with front end too high, rear end too low, resulting in rear chassis pitch that makes the front end too light. Raise the forks in the triple clamps can reduce this tendency.   Be careful on the first test ride, start slowly and give one handle bar hand grip a small bump to make sure the bike is still stable, increase speed a little, and try again.  As far as I have read, everyone with some wobble problem has found a solution of some sort or another.

http://fj-09.org/thread/3858/high-speed-death-wobble

http://fj-09.org/thread/774/mt09-fj-tracer-steering-wobbling

I can't remember what's discussed in those two threads, but they will keep you busy reading for awhile.

By the way, I do not have any wobble problems with my bike.  Ohlins suspension, properly set up, I never ride two up, don't have back case or saddle bags, and too chicken to ride over 90 mph.

• Premium Member
I use an MRA screen that is shorter than stock. It works very well for me here in hot and steamy South Florida. I'm 6' 1".

I might put on a clip on blade for longer trips though.

Check it out.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-touringscreen-windscreen-for-yamaha-fj-09-15-16
I had a bit of weave, no "death wobble".
I took my handguards off and put on heavy SS Sato racing bar ends, tightened up the preload front and rear. Stable right up to the speed limiter...
YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I use an MRA screen that is shorter than stock. It works very well for me here in hot and steamy South Florida. I'm 6' 1".  
I might put on a clip on blade for longer trips though.

Check it out.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-touringscreen-windscreen-for-yamaha-fj-09-15-16
I had a bit of weave, no "death wobble".
I took my handguards off and put on heavy SS Sato racing bar ends, tightened up the preload front and rear. Stable right up to the speed limiter...
YMMV
Could you snap a few pics of the bike with this screen on it from a few angles? I've been considering this screen but tough to get a feel of the looks based on the pics from the website. 
Thanks in advance.

"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

When I found out that the Indycar race at Pocono was postponed to Monday last weekend, with the weather cool and sunny, I had to ride up from Philly.  Put on the hard bags and the tall Madstad screen.  My GPS is from the car, a Garmin Nuvi, useless - can't see it in sunlight at all.

BTW, I got rid of the stock screen the first day I rode the bike on a highway.  Ridiculous buffeting and noise.  Unbearable.  Ordered the tall Madstad with the short flysceen, deal for both. 

I took back roads going up and enjoyed a pleasant ride, although with full gear and a tall windscreen, I was too hot, even on a cooler day.  And the seat is tiresome after 2 hours.

The Indycar race was great.  At least 2 cars fighting for the lead the whole race at 235 mph.

I took the highway back with traffic moving at 70-75.  The bike was stable, moved around a bit by trucks, plenty of power for passing, wished for a 7th gear.  With the tall Madstad screen I have just a bit of buffeting at the top of the helmet.  I'm 6'2".  But it is certainly not a relaxed, fun cruise.  And then, I got the stabbing pain between the shoulder blades.  I had that once before on a 5 day trip in Utah on a BMW R1200RS.  So, seat discomfort, hot behind a tall screen, back pain, loud, some buffeting.   Miserable.

I will be sticking to my 1 hour rides in the country roads for a while.

I'll only use the tall screen for colder weather or highways.  The short screen now and then.  But my favorite is no screen at all.

• Premium Member
When I found out that the Indycar race at Pocono was postponed to Monday last weekend, with the weather cool and sunny, I had to ride up from Philly.  Put on the hard bags and the tall Madstad screen.  My GPS is from the car, a Garmin Nuvi, useless - can't see it in sunlight at all. 
BTW, I got rid of the stock screen the first day I rode the bike on a highway.  Ridiculous buffeting and noise.  Unbearable.  Ordered the tall Madstad with the short flysceen, deal for both. 

I took back roads going up and enjoyed a pleasant ride, although with full gear and a tall windscreen, I was too hot, even on a cooler day.  And the seat is tiresome after 2 hours.

The Indycar race was great.  At least 2 cars fighting for the lead the whole race at 235 mph.

I took the highway back with traffic moving at 70-75.  The bike was stable, moved around a bit by trucks, plenty of power for passing, wished for a 7th gear.  With the tall Madstad screen I have just a bit of buffeting at the top of the helmet.  I'm 6'2".  But it is certainly not a relaxed, fun cruise.  And then, I got the stabbing pain between the shoulder blades.  I had that once before on a 5 day trip in Utah on a BMW R1200RS.  So, seat discomfort, hot behind a tall screen, back pain, loud, some buffeting.   Miserable.

I will be sticking to my 1 hour rides in the country roads for a while.

I'll only use the tall screen for colder weather or highways.  The short screen now and then.  But my favorite is no screen at all.

What position do you have the screen set?  I'm 6' 4" with a 32 " inseam with a Corbin saddle, which is equal to the high setting on the stock saddle, and ride withe the 22" Madstad full forward and get very little buffeting at helmet level. Renthal Street Naked Fatbars  will help with sore back. Just did a 2000 mile trip with that setup, and it was most comfortable.  

• Premium Member
Side 20160826_113502_zpsck4uyrgn.jpg
Front
20160826_113418_zpsgzjsooc6.jpg
Roughly what I see while riding
20160826_113450_zps2bxbj6by.jpg
Chest high while sitting in the saddle.
20160826_113446_zpskyiinaw0.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Ohlins suspension, properly set up, I never ride two up, don't have back case or saddle bags, and too chicken to ride over 90 mph. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give things a try without the windscreen. Might get a National Cycle V-stream in the sport height, perhaps cut that one down if need be.

If it isn't too personal how much did you spend on your suspension mods/set up? Changing preload, etc is well within my abailities, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for someone to do a complete suspension revamp for me.

• Premium Member
I have the large V-Stream windshield and my FJ is considerably more stable at high speeds. I think the stock screen creates some air currents that buffet the arms and upper body, which then acts on the wide handlebars.

Made my own out of some spare kydex. No buffeting, no noise, just clean air on my chest and helmet (similar to my Harley that had not screen/front fairing. 0309e1ed34cc95a5774cb485042ff815.jpga8cdbec2654f6302d8fe94ba8043a254.jpg
And how was it you just happened to have some Kydex laying around? ;) 
Nice job, BTW.
Keep Asheville weird!

Ohlins suspension, properly set up, I never ride two up, don't have back case or saddle bags, and too chicken to ride over 90 mph. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give things a try without the windscreen. Might get a National Cycle V-stream in the sport height, perhaps cut that one down if need be.

If it isn't too personal how much did you spend on your suspension mods/set up? Changing preload, etc is well within my abailities, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for someone to do a complete suspension revamp for me.

Over $3,000 for Ohlins  NX-30 fork inserts and YF 535 shock.  I don't want to remember the total cost, and I am not sure if I got those Ohlins numbers right.  Norwest, forum vender, re-valved the shocks. Ohlins is good stuff, but way overpriced, and these components are not really the best of Ohlins.  I use to ride/race dirt bikes and have had so many high end suspensions  on different bikes that I cannot (or don't want to) tolerate anything less. 

Archived