• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fj-09 feels right after my x-Diavel test ride.

[span]    [/span]It looks and sounds amazing. Great Ducati engine mapping as expected, similar to every other OEMs. Overall the engineering and design is bliss. Of course they had a display unit with all the carbon goodies. I use to own a Diavel red carbon. However after 5000 miles in six months, it totally messed up my back, and gave me tendentious/tennis elbow from the torque. 

[span][span]    [/span]I was so hoping this could replace my Diavel lust. No! At 6'2 the x-Diavel is a no go. [/span]I rode to the event on my FJ in full riding gear, thinking it was going to be great. Getting off a pretty comfortable custom seat. Then sitting down for the first time I thought WTF! I could feel the seat edge all the way around my butt, that old back pain starting to come back. Clearly this bike was made for 5'8ish humans. Feet forward was something I've never done, and I can't say I enjoyed it. So now I'm sitting way back from the handle bars, and hello tennis elbow. Well ok lets see how it goes.

[span]    [/span]Urban mode is the most tolerable in L.A. or well 95% of your riding time. Engine power has never a problem from Ducati even in Urban mode. Other modes constantly left you below the 5000 RPM sweet spot. The V-twin bog got old real quick. 6th gear is a no go unless your doing 120+ mph. The cruise control was bitch'n and worked as it should. FJ upgrade in my near future.

[span]    [/span]To sum it up. Its a totally beautiful poser, weekend ride to breakfast, max one hour rider. All the reviews from the test ride mags and articles where staged somewhere on a awesome rode in So-Cal. Which Newport Beach Ducati is noooooo where near. On a great smooth twisty rode. Sure it would be great. Maybe I can start up a tow your Ducati to a great rode company. 

When I got back on the FJ I was like WOW! LOLOLOL. Oh by the way. I'm a huge Ducati fan and owner. I really wanted this bike in my garage. :'(

Greg

I've demoed the diavel and the xdiavel. I thought the xdiavel was very comfortable, I'm about 6' even. You get used to the feet forward, and I would never get bored with the insane about of power that bike has. I was amazed how much you could lean that thing over in turns, and how it wanted to power-wheelie, despite its long length.

My gripe with it was it was pretty gutless below 3000rpm despite the DVT, which made driving it in traffic sucky. And the heavy clutch. And the nose-bleed price.

I work in Irvine, live in Torrance. Yes the best way to buy a Ducati is used. 65% of Ducati first owners can and do afford them, but don't ride them. Most live in living rooms believe it or not. I bought my first 748 new. Never again....... The other 3 I bought used.

Greg

I also came off a Diavel ... I miss the power a little, but man, the build quality was awful on my Diavel. Really hoping the Yami holds up, and from everything I've read it should. The Diavel never really had a back brake. Dealer or myself would bleed the rear brake, would work for two weeks, then soft and barely noticeable. Largely stopped using it after a few of these cycles, and completely once the warranty ended and the dealer wouldn't do it for free anymore. Their response, "[shrug] it's a Ducati." Also, immediately after the warranty ended, the insanely expensive proximity key stopped working and I would have to physically touch the key to the sensor and hit the starter at the same time.

Other issues involved fueling and leaking brake/clutch fluid reservoirs, which peeled paint off those parts. Ugh.

Really too bad, as I never had the comfort issues detailed by the OP, and really loved the motor and the shit-ton of attention that bike attracted!

d

I've had several including an older Monster, Hyperstrada and Multistrada. The Multi being my last Duc. It had the same issues with the back brake and poor build quality with the expanding plastics tank/panel separation, keyless remote antennae issues. It rode very well but cooked my ass with the cyclinder under the seat.
My FJ is very similar in feel, if not power, but build quality is 2x better @ 1/2 the price. Small/relatively inexpensive modes will make it damn near perfect.

Archived